Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Katrina, one year ago today.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rykuss, Aug 29, 2006.

1. rykuss

rykuss Banned

Katrina, one year ago today.

As I am about to head to work this morning, I have no doubts that my home will be here in the morning. It will be an ordinary day, there won't be lines around the block to buy generators. There won't be scared and frantic customers pouring in to buy last minute hurricane supplies. My kids went to school as they normally would, there was no need to keep them home. The skies are not dark, but bright.

The thing I think I'm most grateful for today is, I don't have that feeling in the pit of my stomach. That awful, horrible feeling that something bad is about to happen. One year ago today, that awful something happened. It's name was Katrina and my family and I were fortunate that we only lost our home. How fortunate we were that we had somewhere to go. That is where my thoughts will be today. I hope you will join me in keeping those that were lost and their families in your thoughts and prayers today.

-Billy

2. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

a friend of mine said he was going to "celebrate" today by dumping a bucket of water on his model train set...

3. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Don't forget that the rescue effort was the biggest and most successful ever in US history. It wouldn't have been had the people left when they were told to.

4. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

and of course, there's the FIMA cards that magically tranformed into plasma screen tv's

EDIT: Hurricane Debbie just hit Dallas.

5. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Quoted for truth. :thumbsup:

6. rare

rare IncGamers Member

I've never understood why people live in those areas when they know theyre bound to get screwed during at least one hurricane season while living there. Is it somehow worth it to live in that place, is there a huge upside im not seeing that will balance out with the day that you lose everything, or mostly everything?

7. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Florida gets hit regularly and they manage to do fine. The trick is to not have corrupt people running the show for 100 years.

8. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

You can say the same thing for pretty much every place on Earth. California has its earthquakes, the Midwest has its tornadoes, the gulf and eastern seaboard has its hurricanes. There's no place where there's zero risk.

9. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

And even when you don't think there is, something could happen. For example, there was an earthquake here (I live in Toronto, was in Pickering at the time - general southern Ontario) a few years back. If memory serves, I think they said something not long after about there being a new fault line discovered beneath Lake Ontario.

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Some are certainly much more likely to suffer huge losses though. I'd never consider living on a beach attractive if I have to evacuate every couple of years. I don't know why other people do either. Nor do I understand why they are surprised when the big one hits. Nor do I understand the people who thought their insurance covered flood damage. I've probably known since middle school when I had little idea what insuance was that home owner's insurance didn't cover flooding, after hearing so much about it every time there's a flood anywhere.

11. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Sweden is safe from just about everything.

Sure one and a half year ago we had some strong winds. Some acres of trees where the only casualties there.

Then ofcourse there was a flood som years ago. Zero deaths, a few basements flooded but nothing major there either.

No storms, earthquakes, poisonous animals, floods, tidal waves.

Ofcourse then there is 6 months of snow. 4 months of rain per year. mayby thats what evens it out.

12. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I watched Prisoners of Katrina, a documentary about New Orleans, last night. It was about the people caught in the local prison when the hurricane hit. People that were yet to be charged, were awaiting trial, or were imprisoned for a couple of weeks for traffic fines and stuff.

When they were finally evacuated they were put in high security prisons, the problem is none of them belonged there and the over-crowding was immense. 5000 new inmates in a prison designed for 2000. People arrested for public drunkenness or failure to pay a traffic infringement, that were supposed to spend a day or a week in prison, ended up in maximum security for at least two or three months, some are still there a year later.

The main problem is that almost all of the records were destroyed, as was the forensic evidence. These were kept in the basement of the courthouse which, not surprisingly, was flooded destroying allmost everything. A judge commented that in a city known to flood it was a pretty stupid idea to put the most important documents etc. in the basement. This means there is virtually no way to determine who is guilty and who is innocent. Some people ended up remaining in prison for months without ever being charged. One man didn't even know why he was in there beyond that he had been arrested for "an outstanding warrant" (he was released after over 200 days... for failure to pay a traffic fine).

Disturbingly, this also raises questions about the death penalty in New Orleans. Katrina has served to cut crime in the city because many people simply did not return. It also served to change the makeup of the population. Where once it was mainly poor black people unwilling to impose the death penalty, the city is now predominately white and middle class. This demographic shift suggests that the death penalty will likely be imposed after a nine year absence. Combine this with the lack of evidence in many Katrina cases and there is a good chance innocent people will not only be going to prison for life, but that some may face lethal injection.

13. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

It is possible, but the lack of evidence (due to being destroyed) is an automatic appeal.
    Convincing a jury to sentence a person to death without said evidence would be nearly impossible as well.
    It is far more likely that anyone who could be charged with a crime and could face the death penalty wouldn't face the death penalty due to those circumstances.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

The poor sods who stayed behind did so because they had nowhere else to go, duh.

*Starts looting... oh, I mean foraging (I'm white).*

Well for the people who got left behind in Katrina (mostly blacks) it's because they're too poor to afford anywhere else, let alone the cost of moving. Also people don't like to leave their families.

When did that happen?

15. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

After it was all over the USG evacuated everybody to places like Houston. Being poor and black with virtually no possessions in Houston is a lot better than being poor, black, wet and dirty in devastated New Orleans, so many of them simply didn't go home. The white residents of the city did have things to lose - or at the very least had things to salvage - so returned.

Louisiana has the death penalty and the DA has sought it for every rape and murder trial for the last ten years. For the last nine years the death sentence has never been handed down because predominately black juries recognise at least some of the causes for New Orleans' crime rates and refused to impose it. The theory now is the demographic shift will see the death sentence coming from juries. Certainly any such sentence will be appealed, the point is that nobody has been sentenced to death for nine years because the demographic makeup of the juries has prevented it. It's not a matter of race so much as a matter of class, middle class juries, regardless of ethnicity, are more likely to sentence someone to death than a lower class jury.

This wasn't from some random reporter, this came from the New Orleans District Attorney and one of the judges.

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

lol it's poor people's fault

also the media

also demoncrats

lol lol

17. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

They've known about it for years...one of the biggest fault lines in NA...just not too active...

18. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Exactly. I live in south CA, and not once have I had any type of scare. I'm not saying that nothing is ever going to happen, but I'm just pointing out that my town isnt on a news report every year about it being in the path of a deadly hurricane/tornado.

19. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Biggest fault lines in NA? Are you forgetting that the western side of the States has that whole "ring of fire" thing going on? Pickering to St Catharine's isn't all that far, I could bike it. Probably take me a couple days, but whatever.

Besides that, that doesn't say when that particular fault line was discovered. The article is dated 2004, and I want to say that the earthquake I mentioned occurred around... 2000 or so?

Fun stuff, actually. Kind of sounded and felt like a train was going through the house. Thankfully, nothing broke. My brother, sister and I didn't even know that's what had happened until later on when my parents phoned to check on us.