Karma..does it exist or not?

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Karma..does it exist or not?

I guess this is just a rant on my part.

My co-worker, Jeff, came into work tonight and asked me who was working in the morning. Amy, my other co-worker, took Thursday until Tuesday off for the holiday. I had no clue who was working in the morning. We soon found out it was the bosses son who is in Atlanta now. He will not be working in the morning. When Jeff called he was told he had to find someone to work for him. He tried to find someone who was off tomorrow but to no avail.

As fate would have it, I had plans tomorrow morning but my best friend bowed out. My first instict was to say there was no way I would work. Then I thought..how would I feel if it were me in that position. Jeff and I decided that we would split the shift. Both of us would work 12 hours.

Contrary to popular belief, I do have empathy for others. I do have to wonder why..after giving and giving..why can't I catch a break?

Should I be a complete nasty person to get what I want? I don't understand why good people get nothing and those who step on people smell like roses and have everything.

This is just a rant. I will make very little money tomorrow. The money I do make will at least buy one of my kids a toy for Christmas. I refuse to go to toys for tots because there are people far worse off than me that need it.

I guess the old adage nice guys/gals finish last is right.

I totally dread this holiday season. I can't give my kids what they want...I have to make presents for my friends.

This whole past year has been nothing but heartache for me. I hope and pray next year will be better.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think it is that all the good things happen to bad people. I think it's more that the good people are the ones who give their good opportunities to others. However, I've never been in a position like yours, Zodi. We're not financially stable by any means, but we aren't always struggling to pay our bills either. I can't offer up much for a comment other than the same old cliche's that one would say to a situation like yours. Sorry.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Sometimes I think I made a mistake going back to school. Sure, eventually, I could have snagged another $16.00/hr job with no retirement. I had to think about the future. In all my years of work, I have never worked for a company that had any sort of retirement. I have a degree but it was stale since I chose to stay home with Liam. I also didn't have the science to back up what I really wanted to do in the first place with my life.

I am lucky to have a job where I have about 30 hours a week to study. I am thankful for that.

It is just all the little things over the past year that have really brought me down. I will have to declare bankruptcy. I make very little after taxes every month and by the time I pay my insurance, car payment, food, gas..there is not enough left to pay my bills.

Is this my own doing? In a way it is. I just feel I have to set a good example for my kids..going to school, studying, making something of myself other than a single mom office worker with no future.

I just can't catch a break now.

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
I believe Karma exists. However, I don't believe it's on a 1:1 scale. I was punked around in Highschool (last year). So we graduate and four months later all the girls that were pricks to me are suddenly preganant and have abusive boyfriends. Not that I wish ill upon others but it does seem that Karma exists. Also, it's hilarious seeing Karma work when my Dad plays Battle Field II Modern Combat

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't possibly compare my somewhat-bad situation with yours, but I find that being the nice guy and doing what I am suppose to barely ever works. I am trying to find a school that will except me, before I have to go back to high school and give up everything I have worked hard for, and every place I call, every representative I meet insists that I should do just that. It is really demoralizing, when you work your butt off for something and have it disintegrate right in front of you. The only consolation is that my best friends happen to like Mr. Nice Pancake, and I can always do something with them and forget all my troubles for an hour or two.

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
My dad says Thank You.

And I agree, nice guys finish last. I can't tell you how many times with girls I want to date that I become that "friend" that they can confer in but never date. Imma be single all my life T-T

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
I have that same problem. I met the girl of my dreams, but we spent too much time together and became friends. Really sucked. However, she goes to a school on the other side of the county, so maybe I've got a chance now....
Oh well, I'll save it for another thread.

Gertlex

Banned
And I agree, nice guys finish last. I can't tell you how many times with girls I want to date that I become that "friend" that they can confer in but never date. Imma be single all my life T-T
I have that all the time... But I hide that fact in telling myself various reasons said dating wouldn't work out...

Karma? I have no idea... Yay for a boring life!

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Sometimes you get what you want.
Sometimes you get what you need.
But youre always gonna get what you deserve.

Its all about what you want,
If you can get what you need.
Youre always gonna get what you deserve.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
It seems one would have to believe in a god that is constantly meddling with people's lives to believe in karma. I'm not sure, but the Judeo-Christian god doesn't meddle that much, right? He mostly lets people live their lives until they die?

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
No. There's no such thing as karma. All of those things, karma, afterlife and such were made up to control people and to make sense out of an obviously unfair existence. Santa keeps track of who's been good and who's been bad, and bad children get coal in their stocking. Better be good!

Good behavior is rewarded in most forms of social interaction by the nature of people in conjunction with the mechanics of human relationships. That's not the same as karma though.

The sad truth is that you can get away with treating people like crap in many circumstances. Unlike karma, the rewarding of good behavior is not some eternal and unchanging principle. If you know what you're doing you can get away with being a jerk, even though that sort of behavior is usually punished one way or another. Some people learn to take advantage of others while others can't or won't.

So, yeah... life's unfair and nobody gets what they deserve. Many actually get the absolute opposite of what they deserve.

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
Does karma exists? To some degree, I believe so. However, it is dangerous to attribute things on karma all the time. More often than not, karma has much less to do with bad things, or good things happening to you than you realize.

To some extent, its the same as luck. I know many people who would swear to have bad luck, and I used to be one of them, until I woke up and realized that what I, and others, attributed to bad luck was more often than not just a failure on our part.

Edit: Oh and, I don't believe in the addage "Nice guys finish last." Nice guys can do just as well as anyone else. Doormats on the other hand, sure, they do finish last.

Star Dust

Diabloii.Net Member
zodiac66 said:
I guess the old adage nice guys/gals finish last is right.
Actually, no it's not. I can't really explain why. Pick up The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (make sure it's the second edition or later) if you want to find out.

As for the thread title, no, karma does not exist in any physical or metaphysical form, as far as anybody can tell. But it is sometimes true that what goes around comes around. Just be patient.

stoutewolf

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not trying to sound harsh but if you are so low on money, cutting the internet connection or downgrading it might save some money.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
I believe Karma exists. However, I don't believe it's on a 1:1 scale. I was punked around in Highschool (last year). So we graduate and four months later all the girls that were pricks to me are suddenly preganant and have abusive boyfriends. Not that I wish ill upon others but it does seem that Karma exists. Also, it's hilarious seeing Karma work when my Dad plays Battle Field II Modern Combat
I agree on that...and it doesn't work 1 : 1 no.