Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just when I thought Bnet couldn’t get any worse....(long)

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by terrymanning, Feb 27, 2004.

1. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

Just when I thought Bnet couldn’t get any worse....(long)

Last night I was playing my level 23 barb (soon to be an IK barb, knock on wood) trying to get him to level 25 to start Baal runs. So I joined a larger game called "act III help" or something like that. I had all of the waypoints so we rolled through the council and then killed Mephisto. As a group we all killed Izual and then went for Diablo. There was another Barbarian in the group, a guy using a two-handed axe and dealing, what looked like, good damage. As we entered the Chaos Sanctuary I started warning everyone to “watch for IMâ€. Well, I don’t think the other barb understood what I meant. In no time he fluxed after dropping to almost no health. He rejoined and gave me loot when he rejoined the party. Needless to say, even after me warning a couple more times, he was killed by IM. I immediately said “don’t leave I have lootâ€. So we cleared the area and looted his body. He had apparently given loot to other party members because all I got was his axe and his helm. He rejoins a couple of minutes later and asks for his gear. I go to Act 1 and give him his stuff.

And now the shocker (at least to me).

No one else gave him any of his gear back. The other little jerks in the game held on to his armor, ammy, gloves, boots, rings, etc. Now, maybe you are all thinking, “He had good gear and people wanted to keep itâ€. He asked for his gear a couple of times and then he finally said, “Can I have my breastplate back?â€. A BREASTPLATE? People won’t return a breastplate?

What in God’s name is wrong with these people? How damn valuable is a breastplate that someone won’t return it? The other people in the game were all between level 23 and 26 so they probably wouldn’t even use it. If I had to guess I would say it was probably Isenhart’s Case, but we will never know because NO ONE HAD THE DECENCY TO GIVE IT BACK.

When it looked like no one else was coming to Act 1, I brought a mule in on my second PC and gave him an almost complete set of Sigons. He was stunned that I gave him the gear. Apparently from his reaction it was better (quite a bit better) than the gear he lost. It was a great feeling to help this guy out with gear that would have just set on one of my mules.

Well I can tell you now with absolute certainty I will never and I mean NEVER give anyone loot in a public game again. Why? Because I would expect my gear back. After seeing how people act over a breastplate, I would much rather send my gear to the “great bit bucket in the sky†rather than see it go to some greedy little prick that can’t even give back a breastplate.

TM

2. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

TM, I had a similar exp a while ago..

Running though WSK, playing a shockadin, pubby of course.... died... I gave 2 people loot, those two started taking my gear, leaving it on the ground and started picking items and selling them, and complaining my gear was **?>@#D .

My pally @ that time was only lvl 50, so I didn't place elite gear on him, best was a 4-soc protector shield w/ p-dias....

I learned my lesson there as well.... If u die in a pubby game, let the Bnut gods reclaim whatever items they chose to give you in the 1st place.

Wing

3. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

TM: That breast plate and giant axe may have read something like this:

Gemmed Breast Plate
    +45 max damage

Gemmed Giant Axe
    +90 max damage

You never know. When I say breast plate I am thinking max damage armor.

Either way, if he had never set loot, the items would be lost. So, don't let people loot in pubbies unless you expect to never see your items back. You take that risk that 50% of the people will return it, the other 50% will keep it.

4. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

The axe was Brainhew and it was a blue helmet. This guy didn't have great gear.

TM

5. ZeonZaku

ZeonZaku IncGamers Member

All I can say is that it is really hard to get rolling in HC esspecially if you seldom play. I was lucky enough to get some good items, and I try to help people all the time.

6. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Could have been a L337 breastplate like Venomward:)

Seriously though when I've played pubbies recently the population seems to have polarised even more into

1) Nice people who have nothing of any value and who constanltly get screwed over

and

2) Absolute morons who grab everything that drops, constantly whine about everything(why do they play if they dont enjoy it?), fill the screen with racist/offensive comments and expect to have everything handed to them on a platter and IMHO should have been strangled at ( or at least soon after) birth.

Needless to say the second category seem to be the most common - to the point where I spent a weeks period trying to cull the population by twinking a telenecro to the teeth and hostiling the more offensive of them. Unfortunately they also seem to have about a 80% CH rating too - which doesn't exactly improve my opinion of them!

However It is still worth playing the occasional pubby because it is nice to meet the 1 in 10 who is in category 1 - and hopefully helping put them on their feet with some decent gear and a couple of trusworthy people to play with.

So many of us have forgotten what it was to start from scratch - I don't mean gear because the ladder season briefly levelled the playing field - but I mean concept of how to build a character at all. I only say this because I recently met met someone online who had maxed Magic Arrow and Slow Missiles. I mean both skills have thier uses - but trying to go through Act 5 with nothing else was never going to be easy especially as I think they were using a Rare LongBow with about 40ed. i think they deserved a medal for surviving so far - but told em to put me on their friends list and if they wanted a hand anywhere ( not a PA thats just a good way of killing new players) just yell.

Weird - this has got so long I forget what my point was - but the general status of B.net does make finding the occasional Gem in the population that much more satisfying:)

My tuppence of the day

Chill

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I've found the secret to remaining calm in pubbies is to expect everyone to be wearing their idiot hat. That way, when you find someone without a hat, it's a happy surprise.

Or beer; I use beer. Might be why my highest char is lvl 22 :lol:

8. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

That is pretty sad that nobody gave the poor guy his stuff back. Even worse that it seems to have been "ordinary" stuff so there shouldn't have been much motivation to keep those items.

Kudos to you for showing him that not all of battle.net is filled with greedy, immature players. On a side note, I hope that as you gave him the Sigon's items that you drove home the point about "be careful of IM" because if he didn't learn his lesson then he'll lose that new stuff too :(

9. Kevman

Kevman IncGamers Member

Loot in Pubbies

So whats that make us guys & girls in the hell games then Chill j/k :)

Kev

10. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

I guess that makes our hell games the BOASAT (Bunch of Anti Social Addicts Team)

Chill

11. DFA-FrstbyteOO

DFA-FrstbyteOO IncGamers Member

Hats of to you TM. that was a very nice and decent thing to do. I would have done the EXACT same thing if I were in your shoes. It really is a shame that ppl feel the need to do things like that.

12. laughingtiger

laughingtiger IncGamers Member

Terry's and Chiller_Babe's experiences are why I very rarely venture into pubbies anymore. I'd rather play solo or with a small group of friends.

13. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

I never loot in pubbies. That said i have helped out lots with reoutfitting especially after they have died and been treated like that. I would say that guy was relatively new, because of the inexperience with im.

And yes HC is very hard to start in especially w/o friends and such. There is a lot that we take for granted. I have started with brand new characters three times, and untill i at least get some sigon pieces it can be tough.

14. madman68

madman68 IncGamers Member

That's why I'm glad I play with a good group of guys. Or at least they tell me their "guys". :buddies:

When one of us dies, we know our gear will be returned.

On a side note, about every month I do a purging of items and join random games and drop stuff. Mostly set items and unique's. Of course the games are Act 1 start, so the people picking up the items won't use them for some time.

|madman

15. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

You will only get dissapointed if you have false hope's, it's HC, when you die it's over, never expect your gear back! That is why when you do return someone's gear they almost kiss your feet.

16. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Bnet pubs *sighs* I completely know what you mean Terry. I have always had the habit of helping polite people out but then again I am not that interested in having the best hoard of items. I have always given away items of various quality to strangers, and to friends high level stuff without looking for anything in return. Don't mistake my meaning I love finding and using something nice like a shako for example, but I would rather see items I am not using be enjoyed by someone else. Heck I gave someone an um and a pul rune the other day simply because he was a friend and I wasn't using them. I eventually accepted some unique javs from him because he said he couldn't take the runes in good conscience, but for me I don't particularly care about tit for tat.

Greed and "pwning" are the base motivations for the majority of bnet sadly and I don't that is ever going to change. But at least there are a few people who don't subscribe to that way of thinking, people who act with a tad, or more, of decency. The few who knowingly, or unknowingly, follow the most uba ways of the hooblar! For it is better for an "itam" to be enjoyed than to be stolen or hoarded! ;)

17. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

I believe the term is "threw away the baby and raised the after birth"

I have given up on pubbies - I did a mule dump not long ago, went into a game called like "act 1 start over" or similar and started giving things away. I started dropping a few things on the ground but after the same guy snatched it all I decided to do trade screens instead. I had some ok stuff, some nice orbs and a kuko as well as some decent higher end junk and some 1.09 echoing knives and the one nice guy in the game got it all after the twerp started spamming "give me good stuff and I will go away"

I love how they complain about the quality of free stuff while going out of the way to STEAL (and I do think not returning loot is pretty well stealing) junk. If they died I bet they would be upset at not getting their ITAMZ back.

18. Khianna

Khianna IncGamers Member

First day I switched over to HC, I fell in with some great people. I would say that reading these posts helped so much in making decisions about where you should and shouldn't play. Also, the people I met up with giving great advice. It is so worthwhile to spend a few minutes educating yourself on these posts.

I had given up on people on b.net until I switched over to HC and met some great people that aren't out to take advantage of you every chance they get. Of course, I realize they are still out there. So, thanks to everyone's efforts to help out.

19. IamTheTest

IamTheTest IncGamers Member

I am on that awkward 90% SC 10% HC transition and my biggest issue with not going 100% HC is I have no idea where to find good people to play with. I enjoy soloing enough, but if stuff gets hard its nice to have a buddy or seven. Id love to know where to find the good bnet players that will return loot, quest, and help get a newb going...I try to repay whenever I can, it just seems as if I never get out near as much as I put in. Its aggravating wading through the 'less socially apt' and dying due to lack of aid.

help?

20. DFA-FrstbyteOO

DFA-FrstbyteOO IncGamers Member

not sure how GAT is doing these days as its been a long time since ive stopped by over there but GAT might be something you want to check into.

also there is a thread titled "The Isle of Misfit Players (insert date here)" right here on this forum. might wanna read thru all of our garbage and drop a line saying hello to everyone.