Just wan't to clear this up

UnderAge

Diabloii.Net Member
Just wan't to clear this up

For all of you who think that the witch doctor is replacing your necromancer, its not. It was said so by a blizzard designer and here is proof and source.

"The witch doctor, on the other hand, seems to be more of a caster with a pet-control ability. Jay Wilson, a lead designer on Diablo III, said the witch doctor is not a replacement for Diablo II's necromancer."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/885/885128p1.html

sathanas

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Just wan't to clear this up

While they may not consider the Witchdoctor to be a replacement for the Necromancer, it seems unlikely that with just 5 classes that they will have another pet based class.

Barbarian
Witchdoctor
Ranged/Archer Class
2nd Melee class
Magic User Class.

That's what I'm expecting anyway.

UnderAge

Diabloii.Net Member

I also suspected that, but just for the people who think its completely over for the necromancer, there still may be hope for you.

Telzen

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't see the Necromancer making it in. Maybe in the expansion if they somewhat change up how it plays so it doesn't conflict with the Witch Doctor.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

necro probably went to work for diablo, said screw this good guy stuff

FistOfFury

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't understand that blizz guy. The WD has too many things in common with the necro, how could it not be a replacement? It's certainly an alternative at the very least. Maybe they are designing it as a necro/druid hybrid and the druid is the one that got cut but a reworked necro will return in the expansion to save the day? Who knows, it's all very confusing,

LOL!! :)

lionheart

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think we will see a necromancer if they keep the number of characters to 5 as it is said in the main page. They are very similar to both be put in with just 5 characters. On the other hand though if they put more than 5 characters i think there is still a chance for the necrmancer to make a come back

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member

Warrior
Magic user
Summoner
Archer

What's the 5th class? A healer...

So you'd probably expect a

Barbarian
Witch Doctor
Mage
Ranger
Cleric

I **** you not...

Animation

Diabloii.Net Member

Language can be subtle, especially when you want to hide the truth or avoid negative backlash.

That quote from the Bliz people can mean 4 things at the same time:

1) It implies the Necro COULD still be in.
2) It allows them later to say they never implied the Necro was still in.
3) It sounds like a concrete statement when its really meaningless.
4) It displays pride ('The Witchdoctor is no mere Necromancer')

And thats just off the top of my head. Public Speaker / Relations types are a highly skilled group of verbal craftsmen, even the techies, because they have to be.

Lewis

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh yes. The ever so prevalent double-speak.

They said it wasn't a replacement for the necromancer. That's true.

What is also true is that they don't intend to have the necro in the game. Judging by the WD, there's no point.

There's also no point for the Druid either. Sad, but true.

Glurin

Diabloii.Net Member

Like I said before, if the necro is not in the game as a playable character, then the WD is a replacement. Those that think that's not true are just kidding themselves. If you take a new class and give him all the abilities (or close to it) of an old one, then leave the old one out, that is by definition a replacement.

Having said that, I do not believe that there is no room for the necromancer or the druid. It just means that the other classes will be somewhat different (hopefully improved) than they were before (which is something we would want anyway). Besides that, we know jack about how the WD works. We know he casts spells and can summon some minions. Great. That describes dozens of classes, each very different from all the others.

Phredreeke

Diabloii.Net Member

Warrior
Magic user
Summoner
Archer

What's the 5th class? A healer...

So you'd probably expect a

Barbarian
Witch Doctor
Mage
Ranger
Cleric

I **** you not...
I doubt a healer. Each class has to be viable on its own. I'd probably say a second melée class (as with Witch Doctor and Mage you have two magic classes), but with some distinct feature to make it different from the barbarian.

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member

I doubt a healer. Each class has to be viable on its own. I'd probably say a second melée class (as with Witch Doctor and Mage you have two magic classes), but with some distinct feature to make it different from the barbarian.
That's what a Paladin was. A healer w/ fighting ability.

Phredreeke

Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't count out some healing skills, but I don't expect a class based primarily around healing. The Paladin has some healing skills, but few players play him as a healer.

Animation

Diabloii.Net Member

If you take a new class and give him all the abilities (or close to it) of an old one, then leave the old one out, that is by definition a replacement.
That depends on the various ways the word replacement can be used in this context (role; position in a roster; theme). It also depends on whether the person using the phrase is speaking of intent or result. These give plenty of room for the double-speak to work its magic. :)

I see where you are coming from, but the cynic in me sees the ways people could claim to be technically truthful while being able to say/not-say whatever they want anyway. :)

I'll be happy with or without the Necromancer in the game (would prefer it WITH but hey, what can ya do?).

Lewis

Tsumaru

Diabloii.Net Member

I think probably "support" is more accurate than "healer" for Paladin. He is able to stand on his own, but he always comes off as the more support type to me when playing in a party. He's got the auras to keep everyone going - all those Defensive skills which give resists, healing, defense etc. I don't think you will ever see a strictly cleric/healer type class, just because it's not likely they could survive Diablo on their own without some badass attacks. But if you compare Paladin to Necro, Sorceress, Barbarian etc - you will see that he has those support skills which are less common in the other classes.

Personally I'm excited about the Witch Doctor and anything else new. The Barbarian is kind of like the stereotypical straight-up warrior class. You just can't get rid of him, and rightfully so. You will also see the strict magic class. Everything else is up in the air in my opinion, and I want to see Blizzard come up with some new ideas rather than just updating the skills of all the D2 classes. I'm not without criticism for the Witch Doctor - while I realise he is wearing a big mask, he does look a bit inhuman. Kind of hunched over and lanky. Plus his skin appears kind of bluish to me. The Locust animation doesn't look quite right either (I think someone described it as looking like a bunch of leaves). But other than those minor aesthetic complaints, I really look forward to seeing him in action, with a full skillset to take into consideration.

fanharijo

Diabloii.Net Member

If it wasn't for that you have to be dead, I would say that the only way to make the necro come back is if he was some kind of Lich (summoning and frost / bone spells).

Judging from the gameplay video the witchdoctor just seems so akin to him in playstyle compared to druid.

Funkopotamus

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I was thinking the witch doctor could be replacing the druid. The druid had summons, dogs even, and was like a mini-sorc with the spells too.

Anathema

Diabloii.Net Member

I actually forsee this being possible. Necromancers aren't usually "good guys." Anyone think the necro got into many fights with the Paladin?

lionheart

Diabloii.Net Member

I actually forsee this being possible. Necromancers aren't usually "good guys." Anyone think the necro got into many fights with the Paladin?

Hardly, they are reclusive and mind their own business and mission. Can't see the necrmancers as brawlers lol