Just voted.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Just voted.

State election here in Victoria. I actually voted Greens again, ick. My short form:

1. Greens (dumbarse hippy party)
2. Liberal (in power federally for the last four terms, out of power in the states. Our equivalent of Republicans, despite the name)
3. Labour (in power in all the states, out of power for the last four terms federally. Our equivalent of the Democrats)
4. Family First (uber-evil social conservatives)

On the big form I voted above the line for the first time, for the Greens. Just couldn't be bothered numbering all the boxes this time.

My original intention was to vote Liberal because they seemed like the lesser of two goons as far as policy went (despite Ted Bailleu being a tool - well, so is Steve Bracks) and in any case Labour has been annoying me. But I saw Liberal was putting Family First as their second preference as usual, and that pissed me off of course. And if I'd voted Liberal above the line that would be support for Family First, so screw that.

And I figured I might as well throw away my other vote too, so that's why I put Greens first on the short form. I voted for them once or twice before when I was too pissed at the major parties. Ironically, despite being the party of hippies and environmentalist nutjobs they are actually closer to my views than any of the others on certain issues. They're the only party I know of that is promising *** marriage and legalisation of drugs (I think it was all drugs last I heard) if they get in Federally. And luckily that'll never happen so I don't have to deal with the problems in their other policies.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
That's basically how my ballot went last federal election. The Greens were the party I disliked the least and while I knew I was throwing my vote away I figured others who cared more would appreciate the gesture.

Actually I didn't really know what I was doing and I was in a hurry to get something to eat so it's entirely possible that my ballot was thrown out.

Australian politics is so uninteresting.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Speaking of hippies, do any of you know what the emission standards are in Australia?
We didn't sign Kyoto, that's all I know.

Hehe, I love your sig.

Actually I didn't really know what I was doing and I was in a hurry to get something to eat so it's entirely possible that my ballot was thrown out.
I think that's a major voting trend in Australia, actually.

Australian politics is so uninteresting.
Agreed. I thought Latham would liven things up a bit, but instead people around him convinced him to lie low. Idiots.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, it's a state election - they're all roadbumps.

And frankly, our federal elections have been roadbumps for the last four parliamentary terms too.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
Voting Greens is definately not "throwing your vote away". The Greens have seats in all parliaments in the country (or almost all) and can make or break legislation. If you want to throw your vote away vote for Marijuana Smokers Rights Party.

Johnny

Banned
in the last election I sold my vote to 5 different people for $15 each then I voted for the most evil party I could imagine and they won!

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
As it turns out, Labour slid in for an easy third term. But the Greens seemed to have picked up at least one seat, which is good - it's looking like Labour won't make a majority in the Senate so they'll have to negotiate to get things through. So I'm actually fairly happy with the outcome so far.

Voting Greens is definately not "throwing your vote away". The Greens have seats in all parliaments in the country (or almost all) and can make or break legislation. If you want to throw your vote away vote for Marijuana Smokers Rights Party.
Yeah, but I mean it's not like they're going to win government or anything. Which is actually a good thing, this way all they can do is have some policy influence when the big parties need to negotiate with them but their more radical policies don't get implemented.

What do you mean specifically by uber-evil social conservatives?
Well, a few elections ago one of the people they had distributing fliers reportedly said "lesbians are witches and should be burned at the stake".

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
What do you mean specifically by uber-evil social conservatives?
I don't know about there but here there are people who would ban *** marriage, sunday shopping, and many other things I"m sure. Maybe divorce and adultery. AFAIK there are some states where sodomy and felatio are illegal.

And Savage, if you are voting in Canada and are in a hurry to get something to eat, whatever you do, don't eat your ballot. We have a law against that and there were warnings not to do that during the last federal election.

No kidding.

edit the word filter edited out a word that once meant happy and carefree.
I guess it's not context sensitive.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Basically, any political party or lobby group with the word "family" in the title should instantly set off alarm bells.

What they really mean is a certain kind of family...

MaxMax

Diabloii.Net Member
If I vote I vote Green too, but I usual just show and throw the ballot in without any X's on it.

But I saw Liberal was putting Family First as their second preference as usual, and that pissed me off of course. And if I'd voted Liberal above the line that would be support for Family First, so screw that.
We have the same problem in Denmark with a similar party; Danish Peoples Party. Eventhough they are not part of the government, they form the parlimentary basis for our (liberal) government.

A few years back(proberly still do, just not public now) they compared Muslims to cancer cells...

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
AFAIK there are some states where sodomy and felatio are illegal.
Lucky Australia as of the last few years pretty progressive in that area. Only Queensland still enforces a different age of consent for *** sex and sodomy.

And Savage, if you are voting in Canada and are in a hurry to get something to eat, whatever you do, don't eat your ballot. We have a law against that and there were warnings not to do that during the last federal election.

No kidding.
No kidding...

edit the word filter edited out a word that once meant happy and carefree.
I guess it's not context sensitive.
I'm not a huge fan of that word being filtered either. I think the justification for it is a little outdated.

MaxMax

Diabloii.Net Member
Lucky Australia as of the last few years pretty progressive in that area. Only Queensland still enforces a different age of consent for *** sex and sodomy.
The age limit is not the same for "regular" sex in comparison to *** sex?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, because of the word filter I read that as "arse sex and sodomy", then wondered why there was redundancy...

The age limit is not the same for "regular" sex in comparison to *** sex?
Not in Queensland, thanks to an archaic law no-one has bothered to change. Although I've never heard of it being enforced.

Bortaz

Banned
Why do the libertarians/hippies always call themselves the Green party? Where'd that naming trend come from?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought it was to identify themselves as Environmentalists. Which is primarily what our Greens are.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I think you guys have them separated out (you'd know better than me though), I was remarking earlier that I thought it was ironic that the most libertarian party we have is the environmentalist one. Since environmentalists are in favour of government controls on business and are generally regarded as firmly left-wing.

And yet for some reason only the Greens are offering *** marriage and legalisation of drugs. Go figure, vagaries of realpolitik I suppose.