Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just started a Meteor Orb with mediocre gear, need help if

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by nandazzar, Jun 25, 2010.

1. nandazzar

nandazzar IncGamers Member

Just started a Meteor Orb with mediocre gear, need help

So I've picked up this little time sucker again and now I've got a LV 70 Sorc with completely untwinked set of gear.

Maxed Orb and in the process of maxing Meteor, I use Fireball spamming in Hell mostly, due to the Cold Immunes. I die a lot in Hell Act 1 due to nonexistent resistance. NM resistance isn't even maxed out.

My thinking was that I would comfortably run NM Andy, possibly Countess, then Council and Mephisto, then River of Flame and Big D and then finish up with a Baal run, where I can't teleport around because I die like a fly if I do, until I can get a Moser's and other more awesome equipment like armor, gloves and boots, before going to Hell.

Is this the line of thinking I should be adopting? Thanks for reading this and a potential future before-it-happens backward logical thanks for the people who give awesome advice to me.

Info:

This is all AFAIR since I'm not at home right now.

Helm: Sazabi's Mental Sheath, also have a Peasant Crown but I seriously don't understand why people consider it to be better than Sheath. Lack of Resists kill me.

Ammy: Etlich

Rings: Some rare ring with not enough FCR and MF, another unique crappy ring

Armor: Stealth Demonhide

Weapon: Spirit Sword with 31% FCR, Rhyme Grim Shield

Gloves are rare, with acceptable mods, Boots are also.

Just picked up a nice weapon for my Act 2 Defiance Merc, and in the process of making an Insight. He has a crappy leech Helm and even crappier armor. And usually dies when fighting Meph or Big D if I don't F2 Tele and then spam Shift+2 for Potty.

WAT SHOOD I DOO FOLKZ?

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: Just started a Meteor Orb with mediocre gear, need help

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Farming Andy / Countess & Mephi on NM would be what i'd do.

3. nandazzar

Thanks for the confirm.

So I guess my next question is, when should I go to Hell? Is there a general guideline as to what time is a good time in terms of levels, items and what they do to your FCR FHR Resists and such?

I can handle Pits fine but I have to gulp down a lot of Potions and run the hell away every time I am Amped.

4. nandazzar

For all you awesome posters who awesomely help, my gear currently is:

Helm: Sazabi's Mental Sheath, but wearing a 72% MF Death Mask right now.
    Armor: Smoke Field Plate
    Weapons: Spirit Sword 32 FCR, Rhyme Grim Shield
    Ammy: Mahim Oak Curio, also have Etlich, but seriously, Etlich sucks.
    Gloves: Frostburn
    Boots: Waterwalk, but wearing a random Rare MF Boots right now
    Belt: Bladebuckle
    Rings: Crap Manald Heal and a Rare crappy Resist ring.

Merc Helm: Guillame's Face
    Weapon: Insight Grim Scythe
    Armor: Black Hades

I also have some semi rare runes like Pul and Um and Hel. Ran Pits about 6 times while never seeing a Monarch drop.

5. nandazzar

I also got a 28% FCR Spirit Monarch and an Oculus for an Um and 5 Gems, did I get ripped?

Edit: And also an Alibaba, Skullder's and Hearty Cord for socketing his Monarch.

6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I would have said yes, till I saw the edit.

Resists are a problem, but I would use peasant over sazabi's anyday on a sorc. You get a large chunk of resist from your shield, preferably spirit for those goin for fcr.

With an occy, you get some more resists there, just be wary of the chance to teleport - its more likely to get you killed than to save you.

Once you get the runes, I would recommend resocketing that spirit, since its pretty low, albeit depending on your total fcr, it may not make a difference until you get more gear.

But as for sticking to NM, that's a definite yes. Unless you can comfortably do Hell Andy and Meph (which you'll still need a few levels anyway), stick to NM for mf. There are actually some good things that plop down better in NM than Hell. Soj is the big one.

7. nandazzar

Big update per your advices.

Now my gear setup is:

Helm: Sazabi's Mental Sheath, 72% MF Death Mask for MF-ing
    Armor: Smoke 811 Def
    Weapons: Occy, and resocketed and got 35% FCR Spirit, Ali Baba and Rhyme on switch
    Monarch, just like you advised
    Ammy: Mara's 21 Resist, traded
    Gloves: Frostburn
    Boots: Infernostride, which I found and which I feel is better than Waterwalk, which means I probably need some explanation as to why Waterwalk is better
    Belt: Hearty Cord
    Rings: Manald Heal and Gloam

Merc Helm: Tal's Mask
    Weapon: Insight Grim Scythe
    Armor: Skullder's

Also got the Tal Orb in inventory, but obviously not using it (the cheap Tal's items are so badly designed) until I get the 3 difficult pieces. By the looks of it a few months, probably.

Still no full resist even with all of Malah's glitchy scrolls. But close. Something like 79, 61, 75, 75. I would've worn the Skullder's myself but I really really need the 50 resist all.

I ran Hell Mephis about 20-30 times, comfortably, except when I don't pay close attention and die because Mephis Frost Nova and Blizzard combos me, since I don't do the Moat Trick because of Orb's oh-so-long-and-mighty range.

Run's also much harder if I aggro the Lords lying around everywhere, but Mephis is runnable. Haven't got any real awesome stuff from him but he drops Uniques almost once every run on average, which is good. Plenty of things to dump to my Paladin that's for sure.

My questions:

1. I'm currently using the Orb-it-aller build from this forum instead of MeteorOrb, no big difference really, except a more effective allocation of points at the cost of no Meteor. Is this build good for tackling Baal runs and Sanct runs? Last time I ran Sanct I ran the entire thing without dying once, but the going was still kinda slow.

2. Is there any way for me to wear MF gear without hitting my resist right in the nuts real hard? I know there's the 500695 Resist all SCs route, but I don't have the dough. I seriously have no idea how people can go 300% MF without dying to a Zombie hit. Maybe not that bad, but I needed to make a point.

I guess with Skullder's, you get about 100-120%, then Ali without 2 Ists and Rhyme gives you 125%, and then Rings give you about 30-50% is it? Goldwrap gives you 30%, and War Travs give you something else, I forgot since I don't actually have it.

Is the MF strictly from full Tal's set?

3. Am I the only one who likes Occy's teleporting? I have never died because of it, and although it truly is annoying at times, logic dictates that the teleporting can only hurt you about 1/4 of the time assuming only one direction has monsters you're fighting. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the awesome help up to this point.

8. wickedswami

wickedswami IncGamers Member

unless the monarch gives you an FCR breakpoint, Sell the 35fcr monarch for tal armor (I'm not really sure about which is worth what here, but try to get the armor) and make a new one. You should get the belt for like 3 pgems, which gives you the 3part tal bonusses (MF being one of them, also gives nice res and Magic Damage Reduced By 15) socket helm with and armor with ptopaz (more mf), this can later be switched for UM/res charm if you seem to need it and can afford it.
    swap ali baba for Gul dagger, iirc it gives more MF (thought you may need to invest in some dex for it, nto sure here). feel free to ist it :p

Infernostride is only better if you need the fire res. wartrav's can give 30-50 mf.

on teleporting w occy, iirc, it teleports to where your mouse is, so usually you're attacking the mobs, so you'll tele right into them.

last tip: don't forget static on mephy to bring him down to 50%