Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just pondering ideas for Grail-Safe Mini-MFO and a RFO ifr

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mad.as.a.meataxe, Mar 17, 2005.

1. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

Just pondering ideas for Grail-Safe Mini-MFO and a RFO

Hi Folks

Just fishing a wee bit for ideas regarding the idea of a Grail-Safe Mini-MFO and a Rune Find Olympics. Just for the record I'm not thinking of either of these in the immediate future, particularly the Mini-MFO as I'm sure we're still a bit burnt out :)

The idea for the Mini-MFO would be a session running from say 5pm Friday to 12pm Sunday with the usual targets. The only difference would be that any grail item cannot be claimed by another player. The way I figure it there would still be some pretty decent items up for claiming (as people might get double-ups of good items they already have in their grail) but the players don't have to risk losing items that they might only ever see one of in their D2 career (like say, Stormlash :( ).

A RFO would probably be run over a week (to allow a slightly more relaxed hunt) with a possible prize of perhaps a nice jewel or somesuch (I do have one though I'm loath to give it up as it's reserved for an IK Maul but someone rich might have something lying around that they'd like to donate). I (or someone more knowledgeable than myself) would have to work out a scoring system of some type, preferably weighted towards the rarer runes but not so much that a find of a Sur or some such pretty much makes the Olympics unwinnable for anyone else. It would allow for cubing (which would also increase the score slightly on the weighting of runes) and the only rules would be 1) no duping (obviously) and 2) no questioning in any way shape or form of what any players claims they have found in that time. If some noob turns up with Jah, Jah, Jah, Ber, Zod we just say "well done" and give him the prize. After all, we are a forum based on trust and friendship and it's time to show it a little.

I'd be happy to run either or both of these (as long as I'm allowed to compete too - given that I don't trade it won't be an issue with me claiming items) though I'd be very happy for anyone else to grab either idea and run with them too.

Anyway, just curious to get your opinions on the ideas and whether you would participate if they were run. Thanks for your time.

mad.as.a.meataxe (just call me MAAM :) )

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

To be honest the grail-safe MFO kind of defeats the purpose of the MFO and is also hugely unfair in terms of items. Say 2 people find a Tyreals but 1 of them already has it, they can lose theirs but the other person cant.
    like i said, not good :D

3. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I disagree. Unless everyone starts with the same available equip. Kind of like a NASCAR event. I for one can't fill a stash with 7% MF SC's. People with better gear can make more runs with higher MF. Being a big treasure hunter, I'd rather not risk the regular MFO. T

he rune hunt could be made fun, like who ever finds the most Lum's (just an example, basically a nice mid level rune), cubed or otherwise. Winner takes all, no rune higher than Lum is lost and the winner may cube up two or three runes higher.

4. mad.as.a.meataxe

Thanks Corax. Do you really need a second Tyraels? That's kinda my point. For those grailers who would still like the fun of a MFO while being able to keep any grail items they find I would have thought it was ideal.

5. mad.as.a.meataxe

Thanks for your input. The idea behind having a jewel or somesuch as a prize is because runes aren't allowed to be traded (which I assume also includes as competition winnings). Hence it's a chance for rune-hunters to have some fun while doing what they would have been doing anyway.

6. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

I don't mind giving away items found in the MFO / Mini-MFO but I really liked Ricrestroni's entry fee idea, for a weekend MFO we simply won't find as much, the entry fee makes it so the winner still gets something. Even better for the RFO.

A similar Idea would be to get a well established member or two to sponser the MFO/RFO and provide prizes. I certainly wouldn't mind helping with this and could provide several decent items.

7. corax

corax IncGamers Member

now thats using your noodle. Just say an exceptional item for entry into the MFO competition and an elite for the rune comp.
    That way in the MFO the winner would get the entry stash as well as choose a few items from contestants and the rune comp winner would be certain to get a good haul whilst losers keep their runes.

I'd be happy to run either of these comps if nobody else wants too and if it's done say at least a few weeks from now i should of built my item collection back up enough to sponsor it myself

8. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Well, in previous MFOs, you could choose which items to donate as the top 5. Of course, then it affects your rankings there. I don't totally like the idea of people placing eg. a Tyraels in their score if they're not prepared to lose it.

Entry fee is always nice :) But you might end up getting a lot of the same except uniques. The idea of a jewel and Pgem stash is better IMO.

9. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Meataxe has a very good point. I won't participate in MFO's, because I would not win, and would hate to lose my precioussess. An MFO where I could keep them would be fun. I do have an idea brewing up in this old noggin for something, but not really anything like meataxe is proposing... soon...

10. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Personally, the MFO loses its appeal without the risk of losing/winning the best finds. If everyone's items are safe, participating the MFO wouldn't be much different from running pindle/meph/baal like we normally do and then posting the finds in the Item Find thread. For those who are afraid to lose their finds, think of it this way: you can get rich quick if you win, and you don't end up any poorer than you already are if you lose.

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I wasn't participate in MFO, because I am building my grail. I don't have so much time as others, so I would probably end with donating items... Having them in my grail stash would be a lot more important for me. Even if I win I will probably not take a winner prize from others, because I play self-found.

But I would like to participate in grail-safe MFO great idea. Great idea :thumbsup:

12. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Ok, i posted up my MFL idea, I think it would be a fun MFO style competition where grailers are safe. Tell me what you think ;)

13. Gouda

Gouda IncGamers Member

I have participated in a few MFO's and i have not even completed 50% of my grail yet. Only 11 exceptional items ever found, so any exceptional that will drop is almost guaranteed to be new for me.
    On top of that i play HC, thus focussing a lot more on safety and less on speed/mf/killing power. I also work (a lot) have a girlfriend, a dog and a house that still needs finishing. My chanches of ever winning: zero.

I just see it as an encouragement to play a bit more in that week and really dedicate myself to MF-ing. I probably wouldn't have made it to three guardians without the TWD tournament either. So if by luck i'll find something very good i may lose it. Oh well, last time i made about 35 additions to my grail stash, so it would be only 34 if someone took an item of me. Anyway, most people take pity on poor HC players anyway.

Gouda

p.s. my grail is self found so winning wouldn't even gain me anything. I just like the spirit of such a competition, joining is more important than winning is the olympic motto isn't it!

edit: i wish i could spell!

14. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

I have significant reservations about allowing a rune hunt contest.

I truely understand that one of the SPF foundations is trust, but I fear a rune competion would push it too far. I can all but guarantee that someone (or many someones) would be called a cheater. It could not be proven either way, and a bar-b-que would begin. Mods would be called in, and we would be helpless, except to ban the flamers.

I don't think this is a good idea.

15. mad.as.a.meataxe

Hi All, thanks for your assorted inputs. I've sent AE a pm regarding the RFO so we'll see what comes of it. I certainly don't want to fan the flames (as it were). Please note also that I'm not trying to replace/alter the established MFO in any way (I rather like it actually) - merely trying to provide a mini-MFO to suit those people who place more value on grail and fun (bragging rights) than winning and claiming the items of others. Also it will hopefully have a time frame that suits those of us that work or have other commitments a little more (though a full weekend is still rather a lot of time). I'm certainly not adverse though to Sunbearie's idea of a gem/jewel stash to supplement the picks that are available though it's still entirely feasible that you could get some very nice items from winning.

@Corax - please, feel free to run either of these (or some variant thereof) if they take your fancy. I was probably looking at it for some time away (like two months) and don't mind delaying further to keep a nice gap between them.

MAAM

16. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Thanks for the message MAAM.

One thing I enjoy about the SPF is the innovation with new contest ideas. D2 is an old game, and I think efforts to continue to make it fun and interesting are always worth a look. That said, I am still concerned about a rune hunting contest, and will clarify. You proposed the rules as:
    My problem here is that I see #2 as essentially turning a blind eye to what is normally a very serious topic here - item legitimacy.

Trust is but one of the foundations of the SPF. Other SPF core values/competencies include legitimate play and trade, gameplay knowledge (statistics, mechanics, probabilities), and fair treatment for all. Allowing someone to make an outrageous (statistically speaking) rune find claim without challenging that claim, would essentially legitimize the find. I can't allow that to happen here.

I know you are trying to minimize the possibility of "duping to win" by offering a rather modest prize. While this sounds good, I feel rune dupers wouldn't care about the prize, but would be after the "glory" of finding that high rune, and also getting it legitimized in the process.

One modification that might make this doable from my perspective:
    Putting a cap on the runes that can be counted (or even posted) would eliminate most of my concerns. If someone happens to find something higher, it would be posted & discussed in the Item Find Thread, as usual.

17. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

The mini mfo itself sounds like a decent idea i guess. but as some others have said one of the biggest appeals of it all is the thrill of wining sweet stuff or losing your precious one.
    The fear of losing one of your better items does motivate me to mf more and more to win, but í'll probably participate anyway :D

As for the runefinding thing... i think it has been discussed before and most people back then agreed it wasn't a very good idea. Its pretty certain to end in a flame war, bannings and a whole lot of non funny things in my eyes.

Putting a cap on which runes are taking into account would, i guess for me at least, not really motivate me to do many runs but i guess i'll have to think about that a bit longer and see what the eventual rules will be.

a forum based on trust and friendship really can't tolerate someone who obviously hacks and lies to other forumites about his finds...
    If no one will start a barbeque in this case (altough i'm sure someone will) then i will unpack the flamethrower...

18. mad.as.a.meataxe

Thanks AE for your thoughts. I was really just trying to find a way to motivate myself (and others if they were keen) for a decent stretch of rune running but I think I'll have to flag this one and motivate myself :(. I don't think the idea of running for lower runes is going to grab anyone's imagination.

@Slarti - thanks for your thoughts too. Part of the idea for the mini-MFO is to be able to do it at a more relaxed pace and to avoid problems for those with a compulsive/obsessive nature such as myself who find something that they just don't want to lose and then cause problems for themselves in RL by doing nothing else for an entire week. The recent MFO did my marriage no favours (though no permanent harm) and wifey was spitting tacks by the end of it (along with my health going to crap). By just putting it over a weekend it gives those with limited time more of a chance against those who can play all day every day.

19. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Instead of a traditional MFO, what about a scavenger hunt? Just come up with a list of 10 items, and the first person to find all 10 wins. Obviously each individual item would have to be fairly common; if there were a Tyrael's on there, the comp might last a year or two. The items could vary widely too (a few TC 3's, maybe one relatively common TC 87, and lots of exceptional uniques) to encourge people to run a variety of areas in all 3 difficulties.