Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just Made a New Kicker to Uber...

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by flowbreak, Apr 28, 2008.

1. flowbreak

flowbreak IncGamers Member

Just Made a New Kicker to Uber...

well, first off i should break the ice... i'm new here. i've been lurking these forums for a week or two now since i started playing d2 again and i just wanted to say it is very informative and quite useful when making new builds.

so, i made a kicker last week for uber runs and i'm wondering if i did anything wrong. i read over the amazing guide on these forums and got a few pointers from there, but i feel like something is missing.

skills:
    dtalon is maxed. (~lvl24+, but still less than lvl30 so only 5 kicks.)
    venom is maxed.
    shadow master is maxed.
    cloak of shadows is maxed.
    putting some points into dflight now.

i'm using:
    last wish phase blade (68% CB)
    stormshield (socketed with 15% ias jewel)
    duress great hauberk
    70 all resists kira's guardian (socketed with 15% ias jewel)
    29 all resists mara's kaleidoscope
    raven frost (+20dex, +207ar)
    rare 6/6 dual leech ring (with really no other good mods..)
    rare 20% ias, +2 martial arts gloves
    verdungo's belt (11%DR, +39vit)
    upped gore riders
    13/15/9 anni charm

dual bartucs for prebuff.
    tgods in stash for uber meph.

since the last wish will recast fade over burst of speed, i've been thinking about dropping the mara's since with kira's/fade i will have maxed resists anyway (recently got my last wish, was using BoS before). i happened to have angelic wings/halo lying around for a ridiculous amount of attack rating so... should i switch out mara's and raven frost for the angelic 2 piece +ar bonus (which would put me around 13000ar) or stay the way i am with stacked resist but only around 8000 attack rating with dtalon?

also, how do you kickers out there get mana leech... cause unless i find some REALLY godly gloves with 20ias, +2ma AND mana leech, theres no easy way i can see. i know i could use a phoenix shield for redemption aura but i'd rather keep my stormshield. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

sorry if i wrote too much.. thanks to anyone who made it this far :smiley:

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Re: Just Made a New Kicker to Uber...

You could use a res/mana leech ammy like my zealer does. +20 res all +7% mana leech. My zealer's mana needs aren't very high though, you might need more, but it seems that with the huge damage you will do, 7% is enough.

3. flowbreak

hmm yeah. well i only have 6 mana leech right now and it is DEFINITELY enough. doesn't take much... but i've just been trying to figure out how to get it to give my build more flexibility gearwise. be nice to have room for a bul kathos ring... i found a pair of +2ma gloves with 3 mana leech and no ias.. so i might have to get a cats eye ammy to pick up the slack. wonder if 3 ml will be enough though. half of what i have now..

well i'ma try to get my hands on a cats eye/bk and i'll see if having around 10k or less ar is enough to uber. i got some martial arts gcs and a torch and now i'm at 6 kick dtalon. now i need to decide whether i should switch out my gear to hit 7 kicks.. is it worth it?

4. improvius

improvius IncGamers Member

I don't know if it helps you, but I'm currently going with Metalgrid for my Uber gear.

5. Funguspower

Funguspower IncGamers Member

Hiya!

First off: I count 129 resists from your gear. Add Anya quest-acquired resists to that (30), and the lvl 11 Fade (56) you get from Last Wish, I'd say you're coming up short on resists. You're going to need 300 to maintain max res against meph. So unless you have an inventory filled with resist sc's, my personal suggestion would be to focus on obtaining more resists. Chains of Honor is probably a better choice for you, as it will give you more strength for easier gearfitting, 50 more resists than Duress and some more DR. And not to mention an easier way of getting your Dragon Talon to 30.

Ofcourse you'll reduce the amount of Crushing Blow you have. But although 100% CB is a nice addition, it isn't a requirement to the build. The 85% you'll have left after switching to CoH is still MORE than enough to finish off the nasties. And quick at that.

That still leaves a 35 allresist gap sitting in your build. I suggest getting this through charms to make your life easier, though you could try to get 15/15 ias/res jewels for in the Kira's and Storm.

These things will increase your tank significantly, which will make your life much easier in dealing with the Ubers. I'd take an adequate tank over a marginally bigger damageoutput any day of the week. I personally went for a Beast BA with Fade (selfcast) against Meph (rest was resistsgear) and 8/3/3/3 kicks. I killed him easily while i tanked him, the other Ubers and their summoned cronies without breaking a sweat.

So, in recap: I'd take CoH, stick with a manaleech ring, get 7 5 allres small charms, some fhr charms and kick the crap out of them doers of evil.

Hope it was helpful...

/Fung

6. flowbreak

was VERY helpful. i really appreciate the input... was getting scared the length of my post was scaring people away. :)

actually, i went out and got some high runes before reading this post and made a CoH and a delirium. for some reason kira's/duress was workin better for me against the ubers so i switched back.. no worries, i could definitely keep the CoH on. i thought that kira's/CoH would be overkill for resist, but i definitely see what you mean. also got some 2/21 shadow dancers so now my crushing blow is even less... pretty much just what i'm getting from last wish. i don't wanna switch back to the upped gores because without duress, its hard to hit fhr breakpoints and the shadow dancers almost fill that gap. i guess 68% CB should be fine.

have a couple martial arts charms now too so im at 6 kicks even without CoH.. been trying to figure out how to get to 7 without filling up my inventory all the way with gcs. well i'll play around with my kicker for a bit and post back with a list of equipment once i'm somewhat satisfied with what i've got going. thanks for the advice.

7. flowbreak

hmm. seems like some open wounds is NECESSARY because i can't kill them without duress or upped gores on. i guess prevent monster heal doesn't apply through kicks which is definitey too bad... would make things a whole lot simpler. sigh...

8. Indecisive

Indecisive IncGamers Member

Open wounds only does like 2000 damage in 200 frames, and the effect does not stack. That's nothing for the ubers. What you need is CB and DS.

9. flowbreak

but doesn't it prevent them from healing? thats what i need. something that prevents heal that transfers through kicks. let me know. deadly strike doesn't transfer from kicks as far as i've heard.

anyway, without open wounds the crushing blow gets them down real low. but then i can't get that last chunk of hp off them. the CB gets diminishing results after you get them down that far. OW definitely makes a difference.

10. improvius

It's not the kicks - PVH doesn't affect ubers at all. Yes, OW is what you want instead. Also, deadly strike does not work on kicks.

I made CB a fairly low priority on my build. I only have 35% total, and it gets the job done. I may not go through them as fast as some builds, but I survive easily enough while I'm doing it.

11. flowbreak

ah okay. thanks for clearing that up. yeah so i joined a run with two of my friends and tried out using CoH and upped gores. told them to hang back and let me see if i could kill one easy on my own. sure enough, meph came up and i didn't have any trouble with him. only difference is the 10% OW from the gores. with it, i can seal the deal and without it their heal and my damage nudge back and forth.

12. Indecisive

Indecisive IncGamers Member

DS doesn't work with kicks, I knew that...

OK, in theory I still can't make much sense why OW is needed so badly, considering the low damage. I mean just the damage from kicks is alot more in 1 second than OW deals in 8.

10% OW would be a good number for a talon kicker, since it lasts for 200 frames, and during that time you'll probably open up wounds several times despite the low OW percantage.

13. improvius

OW is the only way to prevent healing on ubers. That's the only reason you need it.

14. PoHo

PoHo IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum.

Nice gear. I would recommend
    - CoH
    - SS with UM
    to maximize over-resists.

I'm using a 4% manald ring -- my first unq ring that dropped when I restarted d2 again :) -- and found it does the job. A dual leech would just be the icing on the cake.

Cheers

15. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

Im thinking you could look at an alternative build like:

Beast/Stormshield
    CoH/Duress/Something
    Dracks
    Fcr ring+Raven?
    Guil Face is the wild card in this?
    Gores ofc

etc building up the rest to make it complete?

16. Gimmershred

Gimmershred IncGamers Member

a good way to get some more ar for the ubers, while maintaining the res you get from mara's is using a metalgrid amu. Next to that it provides 4xx ar it can get up to 35 allresist. I would also rather take a tgods then a dungo's in ubertris.

most other uberbuilds except smite can rely on a simple poison charm to stop the healing of ubers (except vs ubermeph and lilith who are poisonimmune, wich requires ow to stop their healing).

But since venom reduces the poisonlength, i'd always use open wounds vs any uber on a kicker.

17. Superflymdf

Superflymdf IncGamers Member

On a sidenote, why did you max cloak of shadows? It's really one of the best 1pt wonders in the game and more points actually keep you from recasting more frequently. There are many other skills that could be worthy of the vital skill points. Nice gear!