Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just in: Windows less expensive than Linux!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, Jun 24, 2005.

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Just in: Windows less expensive than Linux!

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me Bill!

Microsoft software partner finds Microsoft software cheaper than Linux

And there's more patches for Linux, right? I bet Windoze is safer, too!

{For those who aren't aware, [/sarcasm]. Micro$oft was slapped by the appropriate British body regarding false advertising for this sort of rot. Ever wonder why that didn't happen here?}

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well i am hardly surprised that a company with close financial links to microsoft found that microsoft is teh r0xx0r compared to evil open source OS's.
    However, i dont care about what people say, XP is by far the best OS around for ease of use, compatability and updates. Security can be managed using a couple other freeware programs (or expensiveware if you want), and SP2 helped alot with this.
    Also, microsoft has been "proven" to be cheaper than linux before, apparently its cheaper ince you dont need any special hardware or other software installed. I dont know who did that survey or if they were connected to MS at all, but it smell of bull poop to me.

3. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

I'm sorry I must disagree. Any Microsoft OS is as convoluted as a rat's nest compared to Linux. Windows XP is secure?! Maybe after downloading the latest packages and patches, installing a third-party Firewall, installing a third party anti-virus, installing anti-trojan/anti-spyware, and using a third party browser...it'll be half as secure as Linux.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Yeah forget the OS that has won awards for its ease of use and over all speediness with updates and patches. Oh did I mention this OS doesn't need anything third party software to be secure? Hmmmm I must be going mute.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I havent got a virus for over a year, and no spyware at all for about 8 months (which is good considering how much i download from bittorrent and P2P networks), so you can keep your system safe, and the only reason people complain about windows security is becasue nearly everyone uses it, and so 99% of hackers will target it. Given the same conditions and a bit of time, linux would suffer the same fate.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

No, thats not true. Unix based systems don't allow stupid things like a browser to install things. Why do you think FireFox is so popular? Because of the "security features" which are really just common sense coding.

Apple will give 10,000$ to anyone who can get a virus to move from one PowerMac to another with a direct connection. The firewall won't even be turned on. The Macs are taken out of a box and connected, the network is automatically set up. That same offer has been out since OS X was released, no one has managed to do it.

99% of problems that Windows has comes from poor management of installations and giving programs admin powers. On OS X or Linux a program can't install itself without an admin password and more importantly a program can't install anything on its own.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

bugger linux, now let's all play some Halo yay

8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Better yet, let's just take a look at that logic.

First, your personal anomaly is of no importance. I'm glad you've lucked out; don't cry on anyone's shoulder when you bite the big one. Windoze vulns, cracks, and flaws continue to be legion, they continue to patch things that supposedly were fixed years ago, and they have a bug list (long as P. Hilton's leg) that they never intend to fix unless someone publishes a way to exploit the bug.

Second, the number of flaws reported for Linux includes the flaws within all the accompanying products. The flaws reported for Windoze only includes those bundled with the standard issue OS, and not all the exciting things that can happen when you start using additional software - like Office.

Third, as in Petreley's write-up, the "danger in numbers" argument is pure-dee Bullhookey, foisted by M$FT.