Just getting back into it after 3 years...

BartoktheMad

Diabloii.Net Member
Just getting back into it after 3 years...

I'm looking for some cheap builds to start up, any characters. I'll be playing them in D2 Classic until I get my LOD back, but I want to start some characters that are cheap and effective to go into hell, as I'll be starting from scratch with no good items. HELP?

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
Well, in classic, a Furyzon can go quite far, with her startup items and some gold-bought items. You will see many cows, but they will be easy to put down.
Just skill lightning fury to the max, get a nice bit(10 or so) of pierce(how much penetrade is up to you, cause it just affects your AR)then fill up Charged bolt a bit further and then the rest of Fury's synergies. Up to you when and how much dodge/evade/avoid you take. Items can be the ones you start with, since you can never do enough damage with javalins in classic to leech anything back, you will be potionbound until you can gather enough +1 to mana after kill items. A good way to achieve this is a Wall of the Eyeless unique boneshield, since it gives +5 to mana after kill. Rings can have the +1 mod, they sometimes drop early on while playing. Just keep 2 around no matter how bad they seem. Upgrade as you find better ones. Or once you have a WoE, you won't need the rings anymore. Since by then, you will also have found your hurding skills back.
Going trough Hell on your own is almost impossible since there are quite a lot of lightning immunes everywhere. In classic you won't need to add dex to get a good blockrate, the number on your shield is the amount of block you will get, unless you wear twitch, just add 20 chance to block up to the max of 75. (Paladins can also get Holy shield which helps blocking, but it is never dependant on dex). In light of this you might want to get as much life as possible if you build a furyzon. Perhaps you could get your energy up to 50 to make sure you also have enough mana while leveling without items. Str wise I dont' think you should go over 80 and even that is considered high. I personally just like wearing goldskin on my javazon. Cows rarely drop anything usefull in 1.1x, so you might aswell extract gold for gambling purposes.

Bowzons are possible as frostmaidens, that is, if you play on b.net
Otherwise the immunes will once again pose a big problem.
With a Frostmaiden, just focus on the third type of cold arrow and it's synergies(You probably shouldn't bother with the synergy that just gives longer cold duration, just the one that gives extra damage). Eventually, you might find yourself a Wizendraw bow, which will increase your damage by lowering the enemies resistance.

You might want to check the Classic section of this forum. There are plenty of builds there, just not a lot of zon ones. Beware while playing classic, you might just like it enough to stay. :)

Just take a gander at Fred's lightning zon build. He has some good tips for when you start fresh.

A pure physical damage zon is neigh impossible, since the bows just don't get enough damage. Note that it is possible, but the chance of finding a capable bow are next to none-existant. I have a picture in the galary of one bow which is somewhat capable, but it's still not fast. It takes 2.5 direct salvo's of strafe to take down a Venom Lord* in 7 player CS.

I am working on a experimental zon, which most likely will not work without continual (mana) potting, but I will try anyway, in the spirit of getting zons back to classic. You are welcome to let your thoughts roam free on the subject and try some builds once you establish a small itembase. And please share your findings. :)

In classic there are no zon specific bows, no elite bows or elite x-bows, so...
Balista's(4fpa strafe with 50ias) are the (x-)bows which can have the highest damage. Gothics are the highest damage bows with some speed in them.(3fpa strafe with 8ias iirc).

* = same as a Balrog, breathes fire, not on fire, slightly smaller as depicted in LotR

Perfect Hatred

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm looking for some cheap builds to start up, any characters. I'll be playing them in D2 Classic until I get my LOD back, but I want to start some characters that are cheap and effective to go into hell, as I'll be starting from scratch with no good items. HELP?
Make a summoner (necromancer). 20 in RS and 20 in SM and you can solo Hell alone naked (the only character that can do that I think). Gl mate!

fbmferinctt

Diabloii.Net Member
honestly i personally would go with a sorc,, a blizzard sorc might be your best choice, because with her you could mf and get some decent items, and mf items arnt to expensive