Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just finished NM Baal easily but hell is whooping me, solutions?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lunchie, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Lunchie

Lunchie Diabloii.Net Member

Hey Guys and Gals

Online i go by Lunchie.

I played D2 when it first came out HEAPS but hadn't picked it up for more than 12 years until a couple weeks ago.

A friend of mine showed me how to get it going again and gave me a few tips and stuff and showed me how to get back into it again. He plays it online ALOT I think and is always talking about what treasure pieces (gear I think) he is going to buy and sell. I may be wrong but it sounded like he makes real money from this but maybe I misunderstood him. Anyway I digress.

At his recommendation I started a Sorceress/wizard in Single player offline mode (He said there are too many botters online) and anyway I am enjoying it.

As it stands I just finished the game on nightmare mode on something called /players 7 (which he said would give me better treasure drops) so I type that in whenever I start playing. The game Seemed harder than I remember especially since I am offline so didnt have any help from other players but I got through and now when I try and do the same on hell I am just getting destroyed. Its like my mercinary is suddenly hitting like a wet fish and he is dying from like just taking on 3 or 4 mobs at once when in NM mode he could destroy whole groups. And I seem to be doing like no damage either and every bloody mob (unsure if that term is universal or just from WOW so my apology's if its wrong) just seems to maul me.

I really just want some advice as to what I should be doing now with my character. Like is she too low level for hell and should I just go back and kill the NM bosses over and over until I level up more or is my gear too crap or is there something wrong with my skills (build I believe is the term).

Here is an outline of what my character looks like atm so you guys know where im coming from

Also I am sorry if I get/got any of the terms wrong as I have really only ever spent time In world of warcraft forums and even that was back in burning crusade days. Seems adult life has gotten in the way of gaming since then.

My character is level 74

Stats
    120 str
    37 Dex
    364 Vit 1065 Life
    67 Energy 374 Mana

Resistance in Hell
    Fire 60
    Cold 72
    Lightning 50
    Poison 50

300 Gold find
    93% Magic find
    33% faster cast rate

Skills

Cold
    Ice bolt 23
    Frozen Armor 4
    Shiver Armor 4
    Ice blast 4
    Frost nova 4
    Glacial spike 4
    Blizzard 4
    Frozen orb 23 It says it does 426-448 damage
    Cold mastery 23

Lightning
    telekinesis 4
    static field 4
    teleport 4

Fire
    Fire bolt 4
    Warmth 4
    Inferno 4
    Blaze 4
    Fire wall 4
    Fireball 4
    Meteor 7
    Fire mastery 4

Gear

Wep
    Basic crystal Crystal sword with Spirit Rune word (wow they never had these when I used to play ages ago)

Helm
    Peasant crown
    270 def
    +1 to skills
    15% run/walk
    100% enhanced def
    +20 vit
    +20 Energy
    Replen life +12
    24% magic find
    Socket with 1 Perfect Topaz

Neck
    Saracens Chance amulet
    10% chance to cast lvl 2 iron maiden when struck
    +12 to all attributes
    All resistances + 25%

Offhand/shield
    Mosers blessed circle round shield
    163 def
    30% faster cast rate
    25% more chance to block
    192% enhanced def
    +10 to str
    All resistances +44%
    Socketed with a +10 str Rune and a Perfect topaz

Chestpiece/armour
    Duriels shell great hauberk
    1331 Def
    +162% enhanced def
    +92 defence based on char level
    +15 str
    +74 life based on char level
    Cold resist 65%
    fire resist 35%
    poison resist 35%
    Lightning resist 35%
    cannot be frozen
    Socketed with UM rune

Gloves
    Chance guards Heavy bracers
    71 def
    +25 attack rating
    +28 enhanced def
    +15 defence
    200% more gold find
    34% more magic find
    +2 light radius

Rings
    Nagelring
    +60 attack rating
    magic damage reduced by 3
    attacker takes damage of 3
    30% more magic find

2nd ring
    Dwarf star ring
    +40 life
    heal stam plus 15%
    +40 max stam
    Fire absorb 15%
    Magic damage reduced by 12
    100% more gold find

Belt
    Fiend cord war belt
    50 def
    +14% enhanced def
    +3 str
    replen life +5
    +5 mana
    fire resist +25%
    poison length - 25%

Boots
    Natalyas soul mesh boots
    Def 158
    +40% move speed
    +114 def
    stamina + 18% based on char level
    cold resist 18%
    lightning resist 17%

Mercinary Gear
    It is the mercinary from that act 2 desert place with that ability that makes him hit harder. I got told to recruit him in Nightmare, so I did. He does some aura/ability that makes you melee hit harder and then another aura from his weapon that makes my mana regenerate like crazy quickly. Seems pretty cool :D

His stats are
    str 172
    dex 138
    damage with that aura on is 1400-2200 roughly or 740-1400 without aura
    defence is 2600

52 fire resist
    75 cold resist
    52 lightning resist
    52 poison resist

1342 life
    He has no mana pool that I could ever see or find.

Weapon
    Insight Partizan
    Damage 169-352
    lvl 13 meditation aura
    35% faster cast rate
    216% enhanced damage
    +9 to minimum damage
    244% bonus to attack rating
    5-39 fire damage
    75 poison damage over 5 seconds
    +4 to critical strike
    +5 to all attributes (im guessing that means stats?)
    +2 to mana after each kill (seems fairly useless to me if he doesnt cast anything lol)
    23% better magic find
    Ethereal (cannot be repaired) But my friend says that mercinarys never damage their gear so this doesnt matter. Seems odd to me that his gear doesnt break given how much he seems to get the crap kicked out of him by those girly wisp thingys that throw disco light balls at him. Go figure I guess.

Chest piece/ armour
    Duress Mesh armour
    Defence 1240
    40% faster hit recovery
    19% enhanced damage (on something that isnt a weapon? wtf lol?)
    adds 37-133 cold damage (again wtf)
    15 % chance of crushing blow (Must have met my ex)
    33% chance of open wounds
    158% enhanced def
    -20% stam drain
    cold resist 46%
    lightnin resist 15%
    fire resist %15
    poison resist 15%
    Ethereal

Headpiece/helm
    Vampire Gaze Grim helm
    Defence 378
    adds 6-22 cold damage
    6% mana stolen per hit
    8% life stolen per hit (this seems to work really well)
    100% enhanced defence
    15% slower stam drain
    damage reduce by 20%
    magic damage reduced by 15
    Ethereal

Ok guys well thats all my gear, please dont laugh TOO hard at it, I know its probably all wrong or total crap.

I am basically trying to build a sorceress that can use two sorts of damage to kill those stupid immune monsters and my cold spells do ok damage but my fire spells just suck now that im in hell.

What am I doing wrong
    Is my gear too crap?
    Is it my skill choices or my play style or am I just too low level to try hell?

Sorry for the long first message but I didn't know what info was relevant and what wasn't.

Thanks.

2. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

Try not typing /players7 at the start of the game. Just play at /players1 That alone may solve your problem.

Few builds, even fully geared up, can quest in Hell at that High player setting.

Tell us how that work. I have a couple of suggestions in mind about your build (assuming you have respecs left) if it doesnt.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    T72on1, Zyr and galtwish like this.
  3. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

What @Baltha said.

While /players7 giving better drops is true I don't think you've completely understood what it does. It basically simulates more player being in game so the monsters have much higher life pool and slightly more damage. In return regular (non boss) monsters have lowered 'nodrop' chance* and everything gives more XP.

* nodrop - the higher the player setting the better chance regular monsters will drop items.

Edit: My best guess is your friend has donated some gear to you since some of the stuff you're wearing isn't easy to come by in Nightmare. Most of it is nice and definitely enough to finish the game without much trouble.

4. Lunchie

Hey thanks for the advice guys.

Yes I have some respec options left. I have been following a build suggested on a forum I found called diablo.wikia
    I have basically just been putting the points in where it suggested and very ocassionally making a different choice so I havn't used any of what I would call a reroll option. (again old WOW term)

In terms of the gear i Havn't been given any gear from anyone, I didn't know you could do that in single player mode? Like I don't sign in to battlenet or even have my wifi turned on most of the time when I play. I mostly play in my sleep-out and there is no wifi coverage there. Are you guys saying there is some way I could change my character so someone could come in and help me out/give me some better gear?

Anyway If you guys think the gear is okay then that makes me feel a bit better. I spent AGES in act 3 NM and act 5 NM clearing some of the bigger areas over and over again because my friend told me not to go into hell until I had a good polearm weapon for that runeword thing and MAN it took freaking ages just to find a normal white polearm. I actually wasted my first Spirit Rune word too by not reading the instructions properly and putting it into a magic item LOL

I was SO SO angry and had to spend ages running around in act 3 and 5 trying to find more runes lol.

Ok So I just googled /players.

I think I understand it now.

Like it seems to be a way to trick the game into thinking there are more people playing together so you get more treasure drops but the mobs are also tougher to go up against a "theoretically" bigger team of heroes? Am I kinda on the right track?

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Once you are through with the storyline, I would do the questing and leveling at /players 1. In that way you are reaching high-level areas more quickly, so you will find better items and earn more exp than in lower areas at higher /player ratings.

Once your primary goal is item finding rather than leveling up (at about L90), it might be worth knowing that almost all bosses (those who will provide the most unique, rare and set items) will not drop more items on high /players settings and those few who do (like axct bosses, for example) reach their cap at /players 3. That means, act bosses (Mephisto and Andariel in your case) at /players 3, random bosses at /players 1 (which will be what you are doing the most once ou have enouigh good gear from act bosses) and if you are looking for runes, charms, gems or items to make runewords, it's /players 7.

Regarding your sorceress, her gear is OK for now, her stats distribution is fine, but the skill distribution is bad. Try to maximize her fire and lightning resistance. With the goal of a two element sorc and gear like yours, I would choose a fire/cold sorc like this:

Skills: Invest evenly into fireball, meteor, fire mastery and frozen orb until maximized. One point in cold mastery, warmth, teleport, static field and frozen armor. Further points go into cold mastery unilt maxed, then fire bolt. I didn't mention prerequisite skills.

Stats: Enough in strength and dex for gear, rest into vitality, nothing in energy (which you basically did).

Gear: Looks OK for a start, you probably had a benefactor or advisor :). That upgraded Duriel's Shell has a rather high strength requirement, but you will probably need more str later anyway, like for a Spirit monarch.

Alternatively, you can make a pure cold sorc who is specialized in blizzard. Even with bad gear, she will be pretty good versus hell Mephisto, Andariel, Pindleskin and in the Ancient Tunnels. She will run into more monsters that she cannot hurt and thus have less options in where to go, however, but it's quicker with her to achieve good items.

Your mercenary has pretty fine gear, but better get a defensive one from nightmare act 2 (not from other difficulties). His aura will slow almost all enemies which will help you much more than the one with the +damage aura. Before changing the merc, strip him of his gear, else it will be gone with him! To improve him further, you could make Insight in an ethereal colossus voulge and the Treachery runeword in an ethereal 3 socket armor.

Mercenaries are often doing stupid things. Their main job is to provide auras, distract monsters, stay alive and deal with immunes. Regarding immunes, pester them with telekinesis (immunity doesn't help against it), so your merc has an easier time to finish them up. If your merc is in trouble, teleport to somewhere, so he will reappear next to you.

Edit: Typos and word garbage fixed.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  6. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

Ill just reiterate whats already been said.

1. A lot of the people looking for a challenge go through the difficulties at players 8 for normal and nightmare, and drop it down to 3 for hell. Thats how brutal hell difficulty is.

For more casual players, youd want to stay on player 1 for the storyline and bump to manageable player settings at specific areas you want to farm for gear and experience.

Thats number 1. And will provide you the most immediate improvement.

2. Your level and items are fine. Not great but decent enough to get by.

In terms of the next best items for upgrade that i can see are :

2.a. mosers shield. Your +10 str and topaz is less than ideal. There is a cube recipe that can remove(destroy) the currently socketed gems - item you want to un-socket + hel rune + town portal scroll - and you want to put in 2 perfect diamonds. This will give you a lot of resists.

2.b. body armor. Duress is fine and all but there are better options available. Stealth runeword is very cheap to make and is a great placeholder until you can obtain end-game gear. Skin of vipermagi is also a great stepping stone between stealth and end-game armor.

Go for stealth runeword for now, and replace it with skin of vipermagi when you eventually come across it.

2.c. mercenary weapon. Partizan was great until nightmare. Now that you are in hell, you want to look for elite polearms. These are basically upgraded items that look the same as their inferior versions. Partizan is the mid-tier called exceptional, and cryptic axe is the high-tier called elite.

For now, insight runeword in any elite polearms will be a big improvment on your merc's ability to deal significant damage and itll also help him survive with bigger life regeneration via life steal (provided from your merc's vampire gaze helm).

3. The SPF forum has a forum-approved 3rd party software called GoMule. This essentially allows for infinite storage, and via sending stash files over email, we simulate online trading. Even if you dont trade, the infinite storage alone should be worth your time. Definitely recommend looking into it in the stickied thread.

All that being said, welcome to the forum!

The community is by far the most respectful and kind and helping of anything ive seen and been part of. I genuinely hope to see you stick around. You wont regret it. =)

T72on1, galtwish and Quinneczech like this.
  7. Lunchie

Ok awesome. Thanks heaps for the advise.

In terms of the /players I think I fully "get" that part now so thats all good.

In terms of my gear I had been wishing there was a way to remove that +10 str from my shield now that I didn't need that. At the time im pretty sure I put it in because I thought there was no other way to boost my str enough to use it. Then I discovered you could reroll your stats a couple times. Lol such a noob...... hehe boy this game has changed SO SO much from what I remember when I was like 12 years old and first played it. I finally took the time to read through the full reciepe list for that cube thing that my friend uses when he "ups" (his words) my gear. I fricking fell off my chair when I saw the defense go up on my chest armour when he put in a couple runes from my stash and a gem and BAM awesome Armour.

I really wish more of those rune things would drop off bosses. My mate told me to keep killing that countess chick in NM mode and thats where I got most of my good ones but even then she doesnt exactly give them away......is that just meant to be the way it is? I.E are those runes meant to be quite rare or is it just Im having bad luck?

In terms of the storage I am not quite sure if its nessecary. I only have my runes and some gems and like 2 pieces of necromancer gear in my stash that just looked really cool. But I guess if I need more space later I can do that.

I understand that rerolling your skills it somewhat of a big deal and that this cannot be done regularly.

So my only real question that remains now is should I use a reroll and change them, if so what should I change to?

Thanks again for all the help.

P.S I found a white berzerker axe last night which looks better than what I remember my mercinarys partizen was. Should I try and get insight runes for that or do I need to wait for this cryptic axe specifically?

Lunchie

8. Lunchie

p.ss

I have decided I like this community. So I added my avatar (always used C&H since I was playing MU) Anyway. Just nice to come accross a community that seems more adult orientated. I took at look at the WoW one just before playing D2 and ... well.... wow.... that place has changed from a group of ppl that truly loved the game and came together to protect/enhance the community when I played (burning crusade) to what looks like a watered down cacophony of infants clambering for recognition from mods/developers that seem to be trying to give everyone the exact game THEY want without concern for tradition or or gaming professionalism (I.E the establish lore of classes and their abilities).

ioupainmax likes this.
  9. Basicbhoy

Basicbhoy Diabloii.Net Member

If you read the stickies, you will find the links for GoMule and RWM -

GoMule allows for an 'extended stash' - you can set it so all of your items are stored here and then moved between your toons. There are quite a few guidelines so checking up on them is good - Im new here and <3 gomule soooo much.

RWM allows for the BNET runewords to work in SP; also pretty good. I have an Insight merc so rocking my mana. There may a conflict if you go onto Bnet though so, again read/

10. Lunchie

I think I must already have that RWM because I already have an insight on my guys polearm. I know when my mate set the game up he added a few files to the directory that has D2 in it after it was installed and said it would let me make more powerful stuff once I reached the end game. I asked him if it was cheating (as I like to play games as the developer intended and he said that most people in Single player use this "mod". Is this correct? As I dont really want to play a game and start making achievements only to find the people in the community I share it with see my style of play as underhanded or cheating you know?

When I play the game it starts up and shows 1.13. not 1.14?

11. Lunchie

Oh ok. so the berzerker axe is an axe but not a polearm but the cryptic axe is not an axe but IS a polearm.

Clear as mud lol :p

12. Haywire

Haywire Diabloii.Net Member

Arreat Summit is a great resource. Check it out.

13. Lunchie

Hey guys I just found this. Wanted you opinion as to swapping it with what my Merc is wearing in my first post. Thoughts?

Stealskull
    Casque
    Def 236
    10% increase attack speed
    10% faster hit recover FHR (slowly learning the terms lol)
    +5% mana stolen per hit
    +5% life stolen per hit
    +223% enhanced defence
    49% better magic find.

Also I had two questions about how + damage and + defense

First questions: I have noticed that lots of items say +223% (or whatever %) enhanced defense but then further down the item modifiers (not sure what the D2 term is for this yet feel free to help me out) sometimes it will also say +50 Defense.
    So what i'm not sure about is why does it have two different values for the same stat, like wouldnt it just be easier to just have it as +**% to defense as a value that encompasses both parts?

Also does both parts added together give the total item defense value . ie for the Stealskull above is its Def 236 a product of multiplying its basic Defense value by 223% and then (if) it had +15 Defense also on it would this also be added on to give the total value ie, Def 251 (in that example).

Finally Which values are calculated first? Like if the base value was say 100 and we increased that by 223% and then added +15 defense that would be quite a different number than if we took 100 and added +15 and THEN increased by 223%

I.e 100 * 223%(2.23)=223 +15 = 238
    Vs
    100 + 15=115*223%(2.23)=256.45

Also do any of the item modifiers for defense effect your total defense rating i.e +30% to character defense rather than just the item.

2nd question

Am I right in thinking that + to Damage modifiers on items only effect melee attacks
    Because it seems like you see HEAPS and HEAPS of +100 to cold dmg or lighting etc etc but they dont seem to change the amount of damage any of my sorc spells do.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit of a math nerd and when I used to play wow my favorite part was all the theory crafting behind the scenes :D

P.s

I changed my /players to 1 and WOW so so much more manageable

Seems like a few less items drop on normal mobs but I can clear areas so much faster so I would say that is canceling out any reduced item drop %

Really loving the game now.

THIS is the D2 I remember from my youth, running up to groups of monsters and just wrecking them with big balls of fire.
    So So satisfying

14. Lunchie

just checked it out. so much info. really useful. thanks heaps :)

15. Apila

Apila Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say Vampire Gaze is vastly better choice than Stealskull.

ED% is calculated on the base defense, and integer defense bonus is added on top of that, so your first calculation is correct.
    +Damage only works on attacks, yes. What you're looking for is +X% Elemental Skill Damage, found only on few items.

16. Lunchie

Ok cool.

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I wouldn't replace the merc's Vampire Gaze with a Stealskull. Its IAS and FHR are certainly useful, but it offers less life leech, no damage reduction and its magic find bonus will affect only merc kills, not those of your sorc.

The percentage bonus is applied first, the fixed value second.

Those 223% are a bonus, so with a base defense of 100, 223 will be added by the 223% bonus and then another 15 which would lead to 338.

It's just applied to the item.

Yes.

18. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

As far as forum rules go. Read the stickied thread and you'll be fine :). Basically it's the game the way Blizzard created it, + runeword mod and GoMule if you want it.

The Stealskull is nice, but Vamp Gaze is actually one of the best merc helms out there, so I'd just keep that one.

Straight damage modifiers indeed only change melee damage. To increase skill damage, you're mainly looking for +skills. There's also some items that have +% to cold skill damage, fire skill damage, ... For example see Griffon's Eye. Those also help non-melee skills.

Welcome here !!

19. Lunchie

I have been reading up on ways to boost my elemental damaging and I came accross something called 'faceting". I did some googling on it and couldnt find a specific definition of what it is exactly except that it is somehow linked to element damage and some sort of special jewel.

I have read dozens of threads on builds and best items and often come accross people casually saying you should "fire facet" or cold facet that item.

When I read a large thread on Jewels I couldnt find anything about a facet jewel or specific fire or cold jewel. I did however find some rainbow "facet" jewels that seemed to be focused on specific damage types, is this what they mean by faceting?

I.e if I had a unique item and used that larzuk quest to add sockets to it and then put in a rainbow facet jewel with +fire skills damage would that be called "adding a fire facet?"

Also I had one simple question

Can pretty much all Green (set if im not mistaken) Gold/bronze(unique I believe) and yellow (rare) items drop/appear with and without sockets? The reason I ask is simply that these types of items gold/green/yellow appear to have extremely powerful modifiers on them already and if we added sockets to them their power would increase seemingly massively, is that simply luck of the draw?>

20. Lunchie

Also I just wanted to say A huge thanks to all those that have taken time to answer my questions. Please know that I very much don't take it for granted that your taking time to help out a noobie with things i'm sure seem trivial/obvious to you. I very much appreciate all the advice :D :D

Tatterson and Fruit like this.