Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just Brainstorming & Thinking Outloud

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by bosoxx, Oct 14, 2006.

1. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Just Brainstorming & Thinking Outloud

My apologies in advance to the mods if this thread is deemed unecessary but i am a bit under-the-weather and thought i'd air out some game stuff to see what sticks or what answers i might pick up:

1. Soj's & HR's. I read thread after thread about trading these and in years of playing i've never found an SoJ and the only HR i've found was a few weeks ago, a MaL off of the countess. Do people "really" find this stuff or has the world gone duping mad?

2. Gambling for Uniques. Years ago i gambled 2 Nightsmokes and a Tarnhelm and since i've been back for the last 6 months, nothing. I read you CAN still gamble UQ's so has it just gotten more difficult?

3. Magic Find Truth's and Myths. I got some great tips for my 90 Trapasin here and she's found some nice stuff. (To me anyway). Arkaine's Valor, Crown of Thieves, Windhammer and StormShield. I've read that you can be just as lucky with 150% MF as with 300%. What matters is ability to not let too much mf keep you from killing fast. My gal and her Merc can do a decent job but it seems she goes night after night, run after run finding nothing but lousy yellow rares and when she does find a UQ it's a lame TC 7 bow i wouldn't give my mule. Through the advice of some good players here i've lowered my MF from around 275% down to about 175% or so and things haven't really changed all that much. My 'zin can make most areas but the bosses still give her and the merc fits. Last night i took her through the WorldStone up to Baal's minions and we killed everything up to the Minions of Destruction when i had to bale (no pun intended). I found nothing of interest. Then we ran the bosses near the Fridged Highlands, The Countess, Tristram, Andy, The Council and the Pit before i went to bed. I found nothing. Why is it so darn hard..with so many possible decent treasures out there to get something of value after 2 hours of Hell running? I'm not trying to whine, i'm just saying all that should net something? Shouldn't it? Should i just concentrate on certain runs more than others? I tried Thresh Socket last night for the first time ever and he dropped a Sigon's. Bleh. I think i've gotten that on numerous NM Council runs over and over again.
    A few people told me the real good stuff is gotten through HR's but i can't even find those. One MaL in 4 years of playing. A handful of Ort's, Ral's, etc..etc..No SoJ's but 1000 other lousy UQ rings. Could i have the same chance finding absolutely nothing running around with 0% MF? If 175% finds nothing, why not just run around with nothing?

4. ReRolling Grand Charms. Once i tried and the charm i got was worse than the 3 i rerolled. I heard people are looking for certain ones when re-rolling. What are they? Is there any secret to getting these good stat charms or is it like everything else...totally random? How about rings and ammy's? You can reroll 3 at a time correct?

5. Pindleskin. The portal is no longer near Anya. I think i actually worked through Pindle once and went all the way through. Is there a way to come up from behind and kill him or am i done killing him?

6. Outfitting Mercs to live. Most posts i read here have their Mercs wearing better than my own character. If someone's Merc is better equipped than i am, i must really s*ck at playing. I placed a post here a few weeks back about my Merc and i was told that equipping my Merc with a Mancatcher and 5 perfect skulls wouldn't be efficient. Well, i did it anyway and he's been ok. Let's just say he's no worse than he was. His previous poleaxe was really bad anyway so this life/man leech mancatcher at least made him a little more sturdy. Now he has to be resurrected a heck of a lot less. He's still a work in progress, but he can handle a good amount of bosses now, just not Hell Meph, Diablo or Baal. I've held my own against everything else in the game in Hell.

7. 90+ PGems. Is there really any use for all of these accept rerolling? Since they aren't currency should i just continue to make and mule them? Once in awhile i'll find a socketed item and i'll toss some pgems in it to play around. I don't own nearly enough HR's to make anything i or my Merc can use. One MaL rune isn't going to get me an Enigma.

I guess that's about it. Sorry for rambling on and on. I get like that when i'm sick. Hopefully someone out here can set me straight on some of this stuff because i'm getting really frustrated and bored looking for decent stuff and coming up empty night after night. I'm not a duper and i don't support it but i want a shot at what everyone else has earned legit. I just need to know if i'm going about it the right way or if i'm just wasting my time?

Thanks!
    -Bo

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

1. Yeah, I've found maybe 6 SOJs and a few HRs..'
    2. 1/2000 for a unique. That's a lot better than in 1.09.
    3. A trapper is a terrible mfer. Make a sorc and tele to meph like everyone else. Or, if you want to actually get something useful you can trade collect keys.
    4. Skillers, +41-45 life.
    5. Of course you can come from behind. The portal is gone because you got the wp.
    6. There's tons of cheap uniques and runewords for polearms with lots of damage and leech.
    7. They are certainly currency, you can get a reaper's for your merc with less than half that much. Here on the forums at least. They are also used for crafting.

3. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Thanks Merick.

Actually i have a Blizz/Sorc i made just for that but i'll be honest with you..i can't get Tele'ing down. I'm just not comfortable doing it. I can't even walk through Act III and when i've tried tele'ing through with her it just seems odd. I've died tons of times mainly because of nerves or just popping to an insta-death.

Maybe someone can give me some Sorc/Tele'ing tips for a true rookie because it just doesn't seem to work for me.

-Thanks
    Bo

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Fast cast rate is the key. Get at least 63% so you can teleport at a decent pace. If you can manage it, 105% is even better. Also, when you teleport, hold down the mouse so that you teleport constantly to your destination. That way, if you accidently tele into the middle of a pack, you can (hopefully) escape quickly. Faster hit recovery is also important, since it allows you to recover faster after being hit.

5. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Thanks guys...

something else for MF'ing Mephisto. I was told that you can't advance past Meph (quest) because he will start dropping garbage. When i was getting a run through Hell up to him, a guy offered to run me to Baal but i told him i wanted to MF Meph and i didn't want Quest. He told me there's no such thing and you can go back and tele to Meph a 1000 times and he will always drop good gear. We argued for about 10 minutes and he finally left. He told me he had killed Hell Meph in private and public games and nothing has changed.

What's fact and what's fiction?

6. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

I tried her again in level 2 Durance and sure enough she tele'd into a pack of Blunder's and was promptly whomped. I guess i just don't think fast enough to counter popping into a pack of mobs.

Do you only tele where your mouse pointer is pointed at when you click the right mouse button? If you hold down the left will you just continue to tele all over the map until you can see the entrance down? I think this is where i'm the most uneasy. When i drop into the map i'm not sure where i want to go and there's usually something nasty just into the TP. I can see the value of tele'ing around but i think it's just unnatural when you've spent years walking. Now you can fly :)

7. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

And one more thing.... i've been searching the forum looking for how to do the Moat Trick and every post mentions it, but i can't find out how to do it?

I'm assuming it means standing somewhere on that bridge that leads to Act IV portal?

8. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Stand on one side of the moat (the red river of whatever that stuff is), while you dump Meph on the other side. This is easily done with a sorceress, since she has the inherent ability to teleport. Once you do that, back off a bit so that Meph is on the edge of your screen. He will be unable to attack you because you're out of his range, but you'll be able to attack him.

9. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Ah.. ok.. Thanks Evrae.. i think i understand now...

10. Nostavar

Nostavar IncGamers Member

If you do the mephisto quest, you will no longer get quest drops. Quest drops are significantly better than normal drops, so do not complete the mephisto quest if you want to MF him! You'll notice that Mephisto will never drop gold/arrows/other crappy stuff this way.

A thread on this can be found here.

11. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Thats a very nice link I didnt knew about. I think Im gonna build a sorc just for that. My old tal sorc will do. :shocked:

12. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

1. Yes people find them, just VERY rarely

2. As stated above, uniques are possible but unlikely

3. My trapper got me a Crown of Ages from Pindleskin the other day - I was about to remake her because I thought she was a lost cause. Her MF% is a little over 200%, and she gets kills pretty quickly.

4. I usually reroll charms until I get a skiller out of it. A second mod is nice (that's where the real value comes in), but for now I'm just trying to equip my own characters.

5. Yes you can get at him from the rear entrance, but it sucks. You are often being attacked before the screen loads. I chose to do Pindle with my Trapper and key Runs with a different character so I could keep the portal open.

6. As already stated, you can get a Reaper's Toll cheap (10 - 20 pgems this late in the season) which is an awesome weapon - ctc Decrepify, big damage, and life leech. Give him that Crown of Thieves and an armor with good resists (Duress, Gloom, Prudence, Lionheart, Smoke are some low cost runewords, or you could try a Skin of the Vipermagi) and you should be all set.

7. Pgems ARE currency, just not enough to get really high end stuff. I have a Reaper's Toll I would sell you for 10 pgems, and with the rest you could get more gear for your Trapper or Sorc or a starter setup for a new character.

Don't worry about getting frustrated sometimes it happens to everybody. Good luck.

13. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Thanks for the encouragment and ideas guys.

Can i throw something out at ya just for grins?

A Blizz Sorc is one toon of choice for good Meph MF runs because of her speed Tele'ing around. Suppose you didn't care about speed and built a bruiser that was slower but could still knock NM Meph around. If you were to run a Pally on Baal runs, get him hi level and outfit him with some decent gear from some mules then send him off on Meph it might be a lot slower but decent resists and good damage should be enough to take him down rather quickly right? You might be able to do only 5 runs instead of 15 a night but you could still do it right?

I'll be honest. I'm more comfortable with DPS than flying around the Durance like Peter Pan. I'd rather stick my Maul in Mephisto's face than Moat Trick him. It might not be as slick and as fast, but in the end you still get good quest drops and everyone is happy.

Anyone do MF runs on Meph with a Non-Sorc build?

14. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

I run Meph with my Hammerdin, but he has very high end gear (including Enigma). Nothing pains me more than running around the durance like a chicken with my head cut off, so I tele. Now that i have built up a decent amount of wealth (thanks to Baal and Mephisto) I have Enigma's on all of the characters I play except my smiter.

15. Nostavar

Nostavar IncGamers Member

Durance 2 in hell is very big. If you don't teleport, runs will be significantly slower.