Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Just a thought open to criticism..

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by nukka, Jul 28, 2009.

1. nukka

nukka Diabloii.Net Member

Just a thought open to criticism..

I have an idea for the new Bnet. To help me explain it, I will use our d2 battle.net as an example. What if the whole chat side of the lobby was removed and instead a giant version of lets say the rogue encampment. Everyone who isn't in a game, would be in this "lobby" to trade or just chat. I think the list of games would be a whole lot cleaner, and it would be easier to look for items. Maybe certain gold-sinks could be implemented with this too.

Anyways it was just an idea, feel free to expand or criticize. :wave:

2. Typoko

Typoko Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Just a thought open to criticism..

Hi!

This is pretty much how Guild Wars work. Only cities are same for everyone and everything else is pretty much instanced. That game is MMO. D3 is an RPG, not an MMORPG.

Most likely this won't happen. Also there would have to be different "channels" anyway. No way every player could be on the same space. Add that to people facerolling on their skills and everyone is happy.

This is not an bad idea, but if this is implemented, it pretty much makes D3 an MMORPG as it's the same that GW is.

3. lazylink

lazylink Diabloii.Net Member

Guild Wars is a CORPG. Regardless, yes your idea would flesh out the world, the question is: Is your idea worth the time? How much will be gained from adding a town-hub? No one will ever know the truth, but in my opinion, it would be a wholly unnecessary feature. All that is needed is a better GUI for Battle.net instead of the slow typing methods currently implemented.

4. Orphan

Orphan Diabloii.Net Member

Mythos done something similar too, though it was no doubt on a smaller scale. It was a long time since I played that so I could be remembering it wrong but it did have a city where the players met, and the dungeons were usually instanced for each person.

Another thing to determine is whether it'll be able to support that many people sitting in one town, or should there be multiple towns depending on the "channel" you're in?

5. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

Mythos had actually a more interesting system than that towards the end of the beta (before FSS collapse). While i never got to the 2nd and 3rd act in the final iteration of the game, what they ended up doing was making the overworld semi-persistent. So, you would typically meet people in towns, however, the "overworld" was a kind of big field where you might run into another player, and on the field were all the various caves and dungeons (which are fully randomized on the inside) .

It's something I'd like to see from D3, particularly because of how they've announced the overworld will be static, with certain things possibly randomized.

6. Gamekk

Gamekk Diabloii.Net Member

There was a time when I played Diablo II that most trades were done using the trade channel - when it wasn't done by game names (inside b.net's interface, exluding the forums, etc.).

This wasn't such a good way for trades because it was filled with the same items descriptions being spammed all over again and again and it left you reading a whole lot of items, but not necessairly the items you wanted. An auction house system could solve this problem.

Also, I think the current pattern for channels is quite functional, except for spamming issues and all the useless channels who could be removed in the chat rooms list.

The pattern is good : you land in a "general chat". You can move to different topics of chat like public chat or other categories (that aren't always useful). However, most people who hang out in chats are found in Op channels for clan chat or some other public chat or for communities.

I remember the channel "quebec" was used in useast and was filled with d2 players until warcraft 3 came out so the community moved (sadly) and became strictly warcraft 3 players. This chat channel was often more filled then the general chat channels you land automatically when logging in.

Basically, everything could work with the same chat pattern and an auction house system.

7. nukka

nukka Diabloii.Net Member

I've only played a few online Rpg's in my life, so i had no idea a system like this is in other games. :/

8. Ishtor

Ishtor Diabloii.Net Member

I think this is a great Idea, the concept of it anyway. There would be alot of confusion with a system like this. would it not just be more simple to be able to search games by type, you know like tradeing, pvp and leveling,story progress.

9. stillman

stillman Diabloii.Net Member

I remember Blizzard really bragging up what they have in store for bnet2, so I'm sure whatever the interface is, it's going to be quite different. What I'd personally like to see is having access to your vault (stash) so you can change gear and make sure you have the items in question before jumping into a trade game. What a waste of time it was in d2 jumping into a game, saying "Uh, sorry, thought I had it" then waiting a while so you can leave the game without getting tagged.

10. diablojunky

diablojunky Diabloii.Net Member

Just the fact that bnet2 won't be bound to D2's 800x600 resolution gets me excited.

11. Felix

Felix Diabloii.Net Member

This is actually something the game developers should give some thought and try to adress. We see in DII, it's a long list of bot run games and the rest being soloplayers who want to do a trade. An actually game being played is one in 20 maybe.

I too hoped they could implement a let's say 16 player game, restricted to a town and meant for trading, possibly also pvp.

And then separate trade/pvp games into one tab and actual play games into another tab.

And of course, do away with the botters wholely.

12. Orphan

Orphan Diabloii.Net Member

Even a filter would be nice. Starcraft 1 had a filter for it's game types (Melee, UMS, Team, etc) though unfortunately only two were really used. Diablo 2 should have had some sort of game type when creating (eg Trade, PVP, quest, whatever) which should have been filterable, but unfortunately it didn't. I have to believe D3 will address this.

13. Junta

Junta Diabloii.Net Member

I'm going to second Orphans opinion. I really don't like the thought of being in a town or something with tons of random people. If there was one thing Blizzard did right with b.net it was the lobby where you automatically joined the channel for your country where they spoke your language (for the record, i'm norwegian). Then back to what Orphan said, a filter, or atleast a search game name function, would be absolutely outstanding. That when you create a game you can choose what "mode" it is. Questing, trading, PVP or random. Atleast with the b.net we have now. How incredibly nice wouldn't it have been to filter away all the trade games when you're actually out looking for a act1 hell questing game.