July MFO ...

Drixx

Diabloii.Net Member
July MFO ...

Ok Guys,

I've run the last two mfo's now since taking over from jjscud, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. With the release of 1.12a, I'm concerned about running it during the normal July/August timeframe due to the shakeout that's still occuring right now between 1.11b and 1.12a.

For example, I lost my original D2 classic install discs as well as my D2X sleeve with my cd-key on it, so I'm waiting to patch until I'm absolutely sure I won't screw up my install, making the game unplayable for me and forcing me to go out and purchase a new battlechest. I'm sure there are others who have for one reason or another not upgraded to 1.12a.

Here's the problem. The MFO features prizetaking. Were I to place in my catagory this MFO (or anyone in a similar situation as I am), not only would I be limited by being HC only and RRM/RWM, but I'd also be limited from taking items from 1.12a since I am 1.11b and there is a rule against taking items back in versions. Essentially, for me and others like me, the MFO becomes more risk than any possible reward.

So my question is this ... since I've already gotten a couple PM's about the MFO and if I'm gonna still run it ... how many of you who would normally run the MFO are still on version 1.11b ... and for what reason are you waiting to update?

Your answers will help me decide whether to throw the sign up threads soon or wait awhile... and any additional thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

(And yes, I am secretly very happy that this patch happened as I now have time to get my new Fishyzon back to hell and ready to do Baal runs for this MFO, since the last one saw DEEDS during the huge MFO event)

LordHoth

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: July MFO ...

Well this will be my first MFO. I've already updated to 1.12a, and I think tourney's with prizes are just another reason to do so. Those who are holding on to 1.11b are mostly due to it messing up trading in the SPTF I assume. The only other solution is make people disclose their version choice and if a 1.11b player wins he/she doesn't get picks from the 1.12a crowd, but the 1.12a's can pick from anyone (not really fair) or make the 1.11's keep the 1.12 items they win in a separate stash until they update. Or just for this one omit the prizes or delay the MFO until after the 1.12a fallout.

Jaago

Diabloii.Net Member

The update will go fine as long as you remember to do it from an unmodded game-window and remember to copypaste the music mpq from the disc.

I'm still not able to enter the MFO. :(

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't see any problem... Till the end of the month, most of us will be 1.12. There is really no reason not to install the patch. If someone won't be 1.12, he can allways reject taking prizes from 1.12 people (or he can claim them and install 1.12 too)

BTW, I am 1.12 already.
You can sign me up. Running lvl85 areas. Can be a supervisor of any other category. Not participating in teams.

MFO TIME!

Jaedhann

Diabloii.Net Member

1.12 here. I'll be running lvl85 area's. I could also supervise a category.

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm still 1.11b for a few reasons. Laziness for one, the other is I've taken a wait-and-see route for the rest of the SPF. I wanted to see where most people ended up before deciding, and since it is easier to go forward rather than back a version, I'm holding out. Since I don't trade I'm only affected by MPing. I've noticed that the 1.11b MP thread is extremely quiet so I may make the jump sooner than later, but no decisions as of yet.

You shouldn't feel the need to hold the MFO. 1.11b players can always take prizes from 1.12a players, they just can't mix them with 1.11b stashes/characters until they upgrade. Think of it as incentive if nothing else. I haven't done any MFing since the Mephathon so I think I'm ready to partake again.

lionheartthebrave

Diabloii.Net Member

SC 1.12a RRM/RWM, looking to enter my first MFO, also willing to supervise something if needed

@Mursilis: jump! if 1.12a had enabled ladder runewords we wouldn't be saying "oh we can do that already, whats the point," what's different about the noCD patch

Skinny

Banned

Basically Hrus said it all. So the patch of the tourney is 1.12a with 1.11-ers eligible to join (should they be allowed to take prizes from 1.12-ers can be debated though. My voice is for NO).

lukin

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm still 1.11b mostly because the SPTF hasn't converted yet (some have but not all) and I don't like keeping seperate stashes and I am close to Full Trade Status. That being said, I have been waiting for an MFO for a long time and will definitely upgrade by that point.

lukin

Diabloii.Net Member

one solution could be that if you are 1.11b, then you wait awhile, see who is signing up where and go where there are like-minded people. Or, perhaps there could be greater protection upon 1.11b such as if you are 1.11b and lose you get to protect an extra item. Another way would be for there to be a 1.12 giveaway stash set up. That way, if you are 1.11b, you get to take someone's items and give them to a new 1.12 player of your choosing.

Cygnus

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm still in 1.11 since I have no reason to move (virtual drive to get around the CD issue) and many traders are still in 1.11 It's no biggie moving to 1.12 when the time comes. An MFO will hasten the process for everything and that's a good thing (TM)

As for the MFO itself, I really hope it doesn't start for another two weeks. I'd like to participate and I can't when I'm not next to a computer!

bassano

Diabloii.Net Member

For me I like play MFO and if I will have time I will be in area85 category but july is impossilbe for me. I probably return during first week of august from holidays. :(
and if will be necesary 1.12 is a patch whitch I will install as soon as possible but for now I rest in 1.11b

Joosh

Diabloii.Net Member

Silly question, but what is a MFO? A magic find O(??).
The one and only 'Magic Find Olympics' of course!

I'm definitely in, already patched to 1.12 so w/e happens I don't care, I'm not fussed whether or not I get to take items, unless someone happens to find me an astreons, lash or mangs :grin:

Joosh :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member

Not sure if I can participate, but I'd love to. But, I'm 1.11b and not going to 1.12a. I have my reasons, no need to discuss about that here.

But yes, I definitely agree, that if someone who plays 1.11b (like me) wants to join the fun, he can't take any prizes. Unless, he's clearly stating that those items are going to sit in a separate stash of 1.12a items, waiting the person to upgrade versions. But persons like me, who are not going to upgrade at all, prizes are no no, IMO.

HolyPade

Diabloii.Net Member

Still with 1.11b for the moment. I'd like to participate, don't know if I have the time though. :scratchchin:

Belcarl

Diabloii.Net Member

1.12a here, have not noticed anything not working (RRM/RWM, ATMA) since patching. Would gladly attend the MFO :)

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member

If I've got the time, I'll be in...depending on when the MFO starts. Still 1.11b, but wouldn't accept prizes anyway, since I'm self-found.

Ugla

Diabloii.Net Member

Still with 1.11b for the moment. I'd like to participate, don't know if I have the time though. :scratchchin:
We need you to convert, to finish our MP party :wink: I could use Melian to run the Chaos Sanctuary.

But then again, I might end up running Baal as always to level some of my characters. My Blizzballer has been sitting at clvl94 for far too long.. I only hope the MFO won't start until late July.