JooosBugs coming to a battlefield near you!

JooosBugs coming to a battlefield near you!

Reuters said:
Israel developing anti-militant "bionic hornet"
Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:24am ET143

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel is using nanotechnology to try to create a robot no bigger than a hornet that would be able to chase, photograph and kill its targets, an Israeli newspaper reported on Friday.

The flying robot, nicknamed the "bionic hornet", would be able to navigate its way down narrow alleyways to target otherwise unreachable enemies such as rocket launchers, the daily Yedioth Ahronoth said.

It is one of several weapons being developed by scientists to combat militants, it said. Others include super gloves that would give the user the strength of a "bionic man" and miniature sensors to detect suicide bombers.

The research integrates nanotechnology into Israel's security department and will find creative solutions to problems the army has been unable to address, Deputy Prime Minister Shimon Peres told Yedioth Ahronoth.

"The war in Lebanon proved that we need smaller weaponry. It's illogical to send a plane worth $100 million against a suicidal terrorist. So we are building futuristic weapons," Peres said.

The 34-day war in Lebanon ended with a U.N.-brokered ceasefire in mid-August. The war killed more than 1,200 Lebanese, mostly civilians, and 157 Israelis, mostly soldiers.

Prototypes for the new weapons are expected within three years, he said.
Source
One can only image the possibilities and humor of this. Imagine the terror of the enemy whenever they see a fly or hornet. They're going to think it's one of those evil JoooosBugs (TM) and panic. Image the poor IDF sniper that has to contain his laughter as his intended target starts flailing about. Or the wonders of how this can (and will) be used to deliver various chemical nasties to the enemy leaders. I get a chuckle thinking about a fly sneaking up on Wacky Macky as he's taking a leak and having his peener blown off by a flybomb.

Somebody once said "innovate or die". Looks like they have. :thumbsup:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Can't wait for these weapons to fall into the hands of terrorists. Given that they're the perfect weapons for them.

kobold

Banned
Hi Smeg,

Just cos you can do somthing, doesn't mean you should.

Regards
Syxx
Actually, I think that this could be very useful (even without the coolness factor involved). Of course it would be a cost-benefit question in the end, but come on, a hornet sized robot to take someone out? I'd much rather send a bunch of these things into a nasty area then to send in troops to get hurt/maimed/killed.

Terminator, anyone?

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Tell that to the enemy right before they blow up a bus full of kids
Sure I will, then next time I see one, in downtown Copenhagen ...

Hey, Smeg,

Did your dad ever tell you "There's Reds under the bed" as a lad ? Well its over mate .... stopped about 20 years ago .... They're not really out to get you. They don't know where you live. They don't know you even exist (unless they visit OTF) and they certainly don't care about you 1 way or the other.

Why do you spend so much time and energy hating them ?

Regards
Syxx

Yup, a robohornet with a drop of SuperDuperKillJuice 7000 in it's stinger would be a cheap and effective way to kill somebody. No collateral damage, no mistakes, just one dead target. Perfect for somebody like Hugo Chavez or Wacky Macky

kobold

Banned
Hey, Smeg,

Did your dad ever tell you "There's Reds under the bed" as a lad ? Well its over mate .... stopped about 20 years ago .... They're not really out to get you.
Sort of like how we keep saying "never again" with reference to war after WWII?

I'd argue that mankind in general still has little to no respect for human life, as evidenced by the plethora of atrocities committed since WWII.

As for Smeg specifically, yeah, he's a nutjob, but he's our nutjob, and there are occasional nuggets of gold in that ranting... :rolleyes:

Sure I will, then next time I see one, in downtown Copenhagen ...
Believe me, you will.

Did your dad ever tell you "There's Reds under the bed" as a lad ? Well its over mate .... stopped about 20 years ago .... They're not really out to get you. They don't know where you live. They don't know you even exist (unless they visit OTF) and they certainly don't care about you 1 way or the other.
I'm an American and that's good enough for them. Same goes for the Islamofacists. I grew up a military brat during the end of the Cold War. I remember the air station being locked down during Desert Storm. I remember quite well the Iraqis that were intercepted trying to gain access to the base.

I also take Wacky Macky's word that he wants to bring about Armegeddon and the return of the 12th Imam. A lesson from WW2 you have forgotten. Take the enemy at their word when they say they're going to kill you.

Why do you spend so much time and energy hating them ?

Regards
Syxx
They want to kill me and my family or make us dhimmis. That's reason enough. You should go learn what it means to be dhimmi and understand that that is their goal. To make you dhimmi or kill you.

It never made the news and the only reason I know about it is because it was base scuttlebut for the duration of the war.

There were two of them that tried to come ashore near the radar array on the penninsula that sticks out into Old Woman's Bay. They were captured and the rest is classified. Suffice it to say they didn't make it off the island.

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
Yup, a robohornet with a drop of SuperDuperKillJuice 7000 in it's stinger would be a cheap and effective way to kill somebody. No collateral damage, no mistakes, just one dead target. Perfect for somebody like Hugo Chavez or Wacky Macky
I'm pretty sure that the SuperDuperKillJuice and its brethern were outlawed in the Biological Weapons Convention of 1972.

Oh wait. I forgot that the US and Israel are immune to troublesome little things like the conventions of war.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Tell that to the enemy right before they blow up a bus full of kids
Good point, let's become exactly like them. Which would then kind of make me wonder what we're fighting for...

Or the President of the United States, should any of these fall into enemy hands.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
These are a good idea for Israel. A far sight better than the current "lob bombs all over the whole neighborhood, and then blame all those preschool kids for being there" practices in use today.

I also think they should be paying for these things themselves instead of suckling at the American taxpayer's teat, but that's a different issue.

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
I also think they should be paying for these things themselves instead of suckling at the American taxpayer's teat, but that's a different issue.
Nay! Blasphemy! Why do you hate democracy, and by extension America?!

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
These are a good idea for Israel. A far sight better than the current "lob bombs all over the whole neighborhood, and then blame all those preschool kids for being there" practices in use today.
I'm sure Israel will find a way to use them indiscriminately. They're very innovative.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Good point, let's become exactly like them. Which would then kind of make me wonder what we're fighting for...
I happen to agree with Smeg about the radicals who say they want to kill all Americans... I take them at their word, and I'm American.
So as to what we're fighting for, I'd say survival, but I'm still pretty safe here... for now.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Terminator, anyone?
Actually, it was the Tom Selleck/Gene Simmons gem, Runaway - those old enough might remember the "bullet's-eye view". I didn't remember that this was a Crichton flick...

Anyway, nano-tech is fine, but we're talking battlefield here. These little buggers will be prone to Murphy's Law to the 1,000th power. Israel ought to field their death-ray ("Nautilus") as an orbital configuration instead; it is probably cheaper in the short run and is far more deployable at this point. I think they ought to put it in a blimp, rather than the short-sighted U.S. plan for 747's...