Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Joining SP, need Advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by motormaniac5, Mar 12, 2004.

1. motormaniac5

motormaniac5 IncGamers Member

Joining SP, need Advice

Hi, i recently re-joined the game about 3 weeks ago and i have been playing on realms, as some of you might know. Well, i have decided i don't really like the B.net crowd, too many people there are out to scam you or are just too stupid to have fun with. I am joining single player mainly to get rid of that crowd of people, and to be able to re-use the same map!! instead of it reseting every game. I am also excited to use the /players 8 command for better drops and exp.

I need advice on what type of character to make. I will be using /players 8 anytime it is viable.

This character needs to be a Melee character. I am a HUGE fan of the Fury/Frenzy/Zeal/Fend attacks, in otherwords, FAST =) i would also like a way to move around quickly, through aura, charge up, self-cast, whatever. I am basically looking for the most viable untwinked melee character to build using /players 8 and some fast attacking melee skill.

Any Advice that can be offered will be gladly accepted, thanks

2. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Fanatic Zealots are always my favorite.
    Also everykind of elemental zealots are viable.

Hell will be big punch for you, especially at /players 8
    Prepare for it :)

3. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF and Single Player, congratulations on making the jump :)

I wouild normally suggest a Fishymancer, but since you want melee... hmmmm....I enjoy my Swordbarb.. and if you want speed, cant get much faster than an Assassin, MA/Shadow Disciplines would be pretty damn fast with BoS and huge damage output.

4. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums!!

I would recommend a Firebear - I know mine owned p8 all through Normal. Iron maden is less of a problem (mostly fire damage) and it is really cool being a bear!! not to mention the 4 frame attack:)

oh yeah, welcome again!!

5. motormaniac5

thanks, yea, i know everyone reccommends fishymancer, i hate em, i have a level 72 fishymancer on realms as my highest character, and he is more boring than i thought it was possible, powerful, yet boring =) i prefer melee

6. motormaniac5

is 4fpa actually achievable with store-bought equipment? im sure i will have at least 40 IAS by the time i enter hell, but that just seems a bit fast for an untiwnked

7. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Hmm...

- Frenzy Barb: Can go really really fast, but tends to be a little fragile against ranged/elemental attackers (no block, usually low-mid resists). Great damage potential though.
    - Werewolf: Lots of life and speed, but will usually have severe resistance issues.
    - MA Assassin w/ BoS: Fast, but low life for a melee character (compared to Barb/Druid). Does have high damage though.
    - Zealot: Fast attack, can use 1pt in Vigour for running around, has best blocking by far, but also has fairly low life (again, compared to Barb/Druid).

The key thing is that all melee builds have their damage tied to their chosen weapon, so you'll need to find a decent high-damage, high-speed weapon to do your killing with.

8. motormaniac5

high damage high speed weapons are no problem for me, i spend the time to get cruel weapons right out of the merchants when i set my mind for a character. From what people are saying, MA asn, Shapeshifter, or zealot are best choices, i get that right?

9. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

im not sure about untwinked - might be a little hard to find the right stuff. A decent mid level weapon is the ribcracker (nm meph runs) and the "godly" weapon of choice is a 6 socket phaze blade with 4 shaels and 2 15ias charms (110ias total on the weapon). Even that should be possible untwinked, and that will get you the 4 fps. the 15 ias don't have to be 40/15's , cause enhanced damage isn't important.

The basic build is 1 in bear / prereqs, max fireclaws, 1 in shockwave, max 2-3 synergies, and then either buff your Oak, dire/bear or another synergy.

Streingth is just enough for StormShield (assuming you can find one), and whatever armor you want. Who knows, maybe you will get really lucky in your untwinked findings :) anyway, have fun! :buddies:

10. BSJoker

BSJoker IncGamers Member

This might interest you, but i dont know if you would like it because of the way the skill works. But i am going to soon be making a spear or polearm barb that uses leap attack. Personally i would like this kind of build and it would look really funny.

11. motormaniac5

AHH the good old BOOYAKA! barb, you might want to do a forum search for the word booyaka and you might find a link to the website for the leap attack barb. I found it pretty interesting when i found it

12. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums :)

Melee char eh? Zealot is nice, good, great, perfect, oh, did I mention I like the zealot? *grins*

13. motormaniac5

just coming back to let you know that since so many people have mentioned, implied, and exclaimed that Zealots were good, i have made a zealot, and DAAAANGGG! level 8 in 15 minutes of playing, that is FAST :thumbsup: :flip: :yep: :creep:

14. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Howdy and welcome to the forum :howdy:
    Hope you will enjoy your stay. A little warning about FE monsters the bug is not fixed yet for us SP:ers which can be a problem with a melee character. Let your merc do the kill.

Hope you will enjoy the game as a SP:er

DX

15. motormaniac5

Thanks for the Heads up on the FE bug, i will keep my eye out for it, level 16 now, still in act1, just trying to finish quests... is this normal to be so high in level and so low in acts when working in /players 8?

16. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

You'll reach lvl20 or so pretty easily in 1st act just by questing, so yes it's normal :)

17. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

If you're doing full clears, as I do, then you'll end up between 18 and 20 after knocking Andy down. It is nice to go to LG somewhat buffed up.

And while I agree with you and everyone about the joys of Zealotry I must admit that I'm a big Frenzy fan myself. These two skills are the only way to melee a mob. Sometimes I wade into the crowd just to watch the fireworks. :jig:

Find help to fend off ranged attacks. Shade is correct that they are both susceptible to arrows and other distance weapons. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

18. Sharakorr

Sharakorr Banned

Since you're using a fanttic zealot, i would suggest you put some pts into vengance or one of the cold/fire/lightning auras since you might have trouble with immune to physical l8r on in the game and it really sucks if u sit there for 5 mins trying to kill this one moster so...

19. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

And don't forget to max holyshield, w/ a heafty Holy Shield and *gasp* an "Exile" sheild, you can hit 20K defense w/o a Defiance merc... meaning you can use a Might merc to get even more damage.

20. kissthis

kissthis IncGamers Member

I've got a really badass Assassin who's very fast, there's trouble with the low life, yep...gotta be careful there.

Zealot as already said, superfast, I got one maxed with Maxed fanatacism and a lot already into Vengeance (a big need for hell in my opinion) and maxed holy shield. Pretty common build for a Zealot really...but fantastic.

Frenzy/Berserk barb...great great great :) Indeed fragile to ranged attacks as already said.