Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Jewels

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by captc, Oct 16, 2006.

1. captc

captc IncGamers Member

Jewels

Can someone explain about socketing jewels for me.

If I socket say an IAS jewel in armour does this increase the IAS of my character or just the item I socket it in - i.e. in this case the armour which would mean it was a waste of the socket.

2. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

If you socket the IAS jewel in weapon, it's weapon IAS, if it's socketed in armor, it's off-weapon IAS. In most cases they are equal. But with some attacks as Whirlwind and attacks in Werewolf and Werebear form, they are treated differently (off-weapon IAS is not calculated at all - whirlwind, or has very low influence - wereform).
    Correct me if I am wrong, but for all other attack types/skills, it is the same.

Edit: forgot Frenzy, where the IAS from secondary weapon is not used at all. (IAS from armor is used though)

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you put an IAS jewel into a socket of a weapon, that particular weapon will benefit from it. If you put an IAS jewel into a nonweapon, it will increase the attack speed of any weapon you waer. An exception is whirlwind which will not benefit from IAS from nonweapons.

Edit: Bah, Hrus was quicker than me and he even gave a better reply :rolleyes:

4. captc

captc IncGamers Member

ok good - i understand this now and my frenzy barb will benefit.

However, what about my hammerdin. He's a caster type right? so am I right in saying IAS won't work with him - what I need is fcr? I'm never seen any fcr jewels though and certainly don't have any in my stash/mules so what would you put in socketed armour besides perf topaz for a hammerdin?

Edit : i've got a level 80 hammerdin with 3 socketed griswold.

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You are right - you need FCR and it can't spawn on socketables.
    You can use resist jewels / Um for resistances or PTopazes for MF. You can also have PRubies for life or PSaphires for Mana.

6. captc

captc IncGamers Member

so likewise if I put an enhanced damage jewel into my armour for a frenzy barc this would be a good idea as the enhanced damaged would then apply to the weapon?

TIA

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Uff, enhanced damage is quite hard to explain too.
    enhanced damage in weapon=weapon ED.
    enhanced damage not in weapon=off-weapon ED.

the simplified formula is:
    [(base weapon damage x (100+weapon ED)/100 + max/min damage] x (100+off-weapon ED+skill ED+STR(DEX) bonus ED)/100

the whole formula can be found in Strategy compendium.

This means that if you got really high skill ED, off-weapon ED is additive and has not so big effect as weapon ED.

Oh and also beware the ED/max jewel bug. Don't place those jewels into armors/helms/shields, because they only add +minED and +MAX damage (not +minED,+maxED and +MAX as they should). The same with ED/min jewels.

EDIT: ownage spree today :wink3:

8. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

The enhanced damage jewel in armor will help your damage, but it will come a different time in the formula than if it was in your weapon.

General physical damage formula:

[BaseWeaponDamage*(1+ OnWeaponED%) + PlusDamage]*[1+OffWeaponED%]
    • OnWeaponED% is the actual Enhanced damage % displayed on the weapon.
    • PlusDamage is all +max, +min, and +damage on your weapon, your armor, and your charms.
    • OffWeaponED% is all the Enhanced damage from skills (Mastery, frenzy), ED on gear, aura ED% (might merc), and statbonus ED%
    Most characters have more off weapon ED than on weapon ED, so ED jewels would be better in their weapon than in their armor. Either way, The ED jewel will be beneficial to all characters that physically hit things (Swinging a weapon, throwing a weapon, shooting a bow/crossbow, kicking).

EDIT: pwnt

9. captc

captc IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone. I cannot tell how useful this all has been.

Having just been lazy and just killed everything in sight I'm now in act5 hell and having to apply some brain matter to progressing. Actually this is quite refreshing. I'm never going to be rich as I can only play about 7 hours a week but one day I hope to beat this game.

I've just made spirit in a sword for my hammerdin and loaded up my armour with perfect rubies and I'll see how much more durable he is now.