Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Jet Li's Fearless

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GrimAngelNamu, Sep 24, 2006.

1. GrimAngelNamu

GrimAngelNamu Banned

Jet Li's Fearless

Saw this movie last night with two of my friends, and I must say, it is awesome. It's a pretty fitting ending to Jet Li's carear, and even if you don't like martial arts movies that much, it's still pretty darn cool. The coreography was pretty darn good, and the acting was also rather nice. Anyone else seen it yet? If you haven't I'd recommend you run out right now and buy a ticket. Or Fandango it.

2. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

I was supposed to watch it alst night with two friends, but instead watched fear and loathing in las vegas. crazy movie.
    but I shall see fearless soon, glad to hear it has recommendations

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I wanna see it. Don't know if I wanna see it enough to pay $10 though.

4. GrimAngelNamu

GrimAngelNamu Banned

Discount movie theatres are nice.

5. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

I saw it a while ago. It was released in china back in february. I'm not going to see it again in theaters b/c i've already watched it like 10 times with different friends and that gets old very fast.

I can't wait for The Night Banquet staring Zhang Ziyi but I heard it got some pretty bad reviews.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Jet li is weak sauce.

90% special effects. 10% skill. I've seen more impressive moves from Keanu Reeves.

7. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

Bull****. You're saying that of a 3-times national martial arts champion. Have you even seen his kung fu movies?

8. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I've always liked Jet Li's style of fighting, so I can't wait to go see this movie.

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

yeah I have seen his movies. I have seen him dance around on the top of bamboo sticks with a guy on his shoulders while fighting a 3rd guy.

I have seen him throw steel marvels with enough speed to kill a person like a bullet.

And honestly. Im sure he is a great martial artist and that but real martial arts is not very amusing to watch and thats not what makes his movies fun to watch. Its the added special effects that makes it fun watching.

meanwhile you have actors like Jacki Chan where ist more 80% skill and 20% special effects.

Sure he might not have throw a car into the air then chopped it in two with his hand but he could sure swing a horse-shoes on a rope with some impressive skill.

10. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

You watched Shanghai Noon recently, didn't you? ^^

11. bladesyz

Real martial arts isn't very fun to watch? Right, that's why Bruce Lee had so much success.

Try watching Shaolin Temple and tell me that was special effects. Jet Li did a lot of wire-fu movies, but that doesn't take away the fact that he's one of the best kung fu actors around. Compared to him, Jackie Chan looks like a clutz (though to be fair, he promotes that image intentionally, for comical effect).

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I haven't seen many (any?) Jet Li movies, but I agree that Jackie Chan is great.

13. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

Why all the hating?

I watched Fearless on DVD a while ago, I have to say I dont think its as good as everyone says it is. Jet Li is one of my favourite martial artists but I found the
    action to be pretty bland and the story line is kind of stupid and as far as I know almost none of that happened in real life.

The 3-section staff fight was really good though, Jet Li has some serious skills with that weapon.

Jet Li and Jackie Chan's Hollywood movies really suck, they are nothing compared to the Hong Kong ones, if you want to see some decent Jet Li and Jackie Chan movies watch his older ones where Jackie Chan does some crazy stuff like jump off high places.

BTW this isnt Jet Li's last movie its his last movie showing new levels of Wushu I believe.

14. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Johnny > if you get a chance, please watch "Fist of Legend", which also goes by the title "Jing wu ying xiong". Released in 1994, I don't recall much wire-work in there, though it has been a while since I last watched it.
    It is a retelling of the classic tale of the Student who attempts to find the truth behind his Master's death. This story has already been converted to film another time under the title of Fists of Fury. This is not a remake of that movie mind you, just another interpretation of the classic story.

If you don't like 'wiremovies' you might also dislike 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' (Wo hu cang long) and 'House of Flying Daggers' (Shi mian mai fu).
    I guess another of Jet Li's more rescent movies also falls into the 'wired' catagory, namely Hero (Ying xiong). Which I personally enjoyed a lot and even though it doesn't allow for Jet Lee's style to be prominent, I still consider it amoung the best of his movies. Then again, I also enjoy The Storm Riders (Fung wan: Hung ba tin ha) a lot.
    To each his own I guess. :)

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I like Jet Li's movies a lot, but I don't like Fearless to much. Story is very week, the movie is boring when Jet Li's doesn't fight. And the action itself is not the best from his movies...
    I like Fists of Legend (more fighting, less "wire" effects") and his US movies (The One, Unleashed).

16. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

I didnt really like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I dont know why it won so many awards I think it was a film made mostly for foreigners. Fist of Legend is one of my favourite martial arts movies.

A major character in Fearless and Fist of Legend is Fok Yuen Gaap a chinese martial artist that defeated many opponents including a Russian martial artist and japanese Judo fighters.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Crouching Tiger was pretty good, mind you I'm not an afficionado of the genre. I mean to see Hero and Flying Daggers.

18. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Hero made no sense. Only cool part was when all the archers let loose at him standing against the wall.

19. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

I liked Fearless. I took it to be what it was, a martial arts movie with a paper thin plot. Like most Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies.

20. bladesyz

Hero made plenty of sense. I don't understand why so many westerners couldn't understand it. How difficult is it to understand it's basically 3 (4?) flashbacks? Did they really do that poor of a job translating it?

House of Flying Daggers, on the other hand, was complete and utter crap.

Fearless was a bit disappointing. Not the best Jet Li movie. The fight sequences were decent, but much more brutal than usual. The plot and acting, however, were pretty sub-par.