Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Jesus Camp

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bg1256, Sep 23, 2006.

1. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Jesus Camp

The Movie

I went and saw this in Times Square tonight. Right now, it's showing in limited locations.

Anyone else seen it? Heard of it?

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Your link is screwy.

I saw a brief news report on this, it's scary stuff. Evangelism always is, particularly when the Religious Right is doing it.

3. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Do you mean in the context of religious evangelism, or any type of evangelism to any philosphy or worldview?

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Any philosophy or worldview.

5. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Interesting...

So, would you somehow distinguish between evangelizing and persuading? Because debates are persuasive, and often even evangelistic - yet we engage in debates all the time.

6. DOC

DOC Off Topic Moderator

I saw the trailer, and honestly would be scared if any of those kids came up to me. Maybe its just me.

7. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

If you mean that report on World news tonight or what ever it is with Charles Gibson, yea I saw that report...it looked really scary. It seems awful almost. It's bad how these kids are being raised authoriatively. I'm taking a psychology class and there's basically 3 parenting styles (4actually), one of which is authoritarian. It means parents tell they're kids what is right and what is wrong and that there is no need for reasoning behind these decisions, but only the child accept them or face punishment. It's sad how these children are almost being driven like cult members.

P.S-I didn't want to offend anyone with that last remark, I'd classify myself as Christian I guess, but I just can't stand it when stuff like that comes out.

8. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I'm not talking about a news report, unless they did a report on this particular movie. It seems my link is screwed up... I'll see if I can fix that.

edit: See the trailer here.

9. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Wow. Being a Christian, I find that both very cool and very disturbing.
    Cool because, as with any religion, Christians are called to spread the Good News and share the love of Jesus with the world. And cool because the faith of a child is quite an amazing thing, because they see thier religion as something very simple (which it is) whereas adults make religion into something so much more complicated and misconstrued.

Very disturbing because I don't believe that children that young are capable of understanding the intricacies of the power of God. They don't understand what they're doing or why they're doing it, they just do it because that is what they are being told to do by the adults around them. Also disturbing because these children are being robbed of thier childhood. Is it for a better cause? Sure, but I find it hard to believe that God would want small children doing what they're doing in this movie. They should be in school, making friends, playing outside and having fun. Not learning how to be the street preachers of tomorrow.

Let me rephrase that: The street preachers of today. This is not the kind of thing children need to be doing. I think these people (as in the adults) have thier heart in the right place with wanting to spread the gospel. . . but using children? Why not do it yourself? Are they afraid of being persecuted? Why send the children to the front lines?

Conclusion: more disturbing than cool.

10. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I completely understand your point, and I'm splitting hairs -- but I'm not sure any of us do :rolleyes:

Yeah, it really is. I would recommend you see the movie if it plays near you, however. In no way is this movie objective, and I think any Christian will take offense as to how the movie is done. (For example, evil music plays in the background while the women and men are preaching... kinda lame) Yet, it makes good points, and was worth the money.

11. Stompwampa

True.

Yea, i'll try to check it out, or I'll wait til I can find a dvd release. I'm afraid it'll be the kind of thing that just gets me all worked up and pissed off...like the crazy hate preachers that come to campus at the beginning of every school year...

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I've seen the trailer. I was unimpressed. So they took some shots from a church camp and edited them together and put it to some creepy music. Michael Moore would be proud.

I'm getting really sick of overly editorialized documentaries. No longer do they portray a subject with objective commentary, rather they are steaming piles of poo.

13. Stompwampa

Just like Michael Moore. . . oh, and his movies.

14. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I'll never forget that thread...:laugh:

15. Stompwampa

Bowling for Columbine was on TV last night. I thought it was a really good movie when I first saw it. Then I learned that all of Michael Moore's movies are nothing more than finger pointing extreme-leftist propoganda filth.

His editing skillz are top-notch. He does have that.

16. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I always wonder, when they get a child to say they would give their life for God, does that child really understand the concept enough to say that they would? I found the whole thing more than a little unsettling.

17. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

There's no way they completely understand the concept. I guess we don't really know how much they do understand -- at points during the movie, they interview some of the children, and they talk about missionaries who had become martyrs. So, they do have some idea, but obviously, not very much.

18. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Why, specifically, is evangelism by the "Religious Right" worse than any other evangelism?

19. Star Dust

Star Dust IncGamers Member

Plain evangelism, meaning zeal, isn't necessarily bad. Therefore we must focus on the object of zealousness to determine if evangelism x is good or bad. This is no simple task, of course.

Anyways, I saw this clip recently. I swear I don't see parallels to radical, extremist Islam. I swear. :unimpressed:

"We're being trained to be God's army." WTF?

Some kid found salvation because he wanted more out of life... AT FIVE YEARS OF AGE??!!

Indoctrination ftl.

:cry:

20. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Well it wouldn't make as much money otherwise...