Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

jbeast's Frenzy Barb Guide

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by jbeast, Mar 28, 2004.

1. jbeast

jbeast Banned

jbeast's Frenzy Barb Guide

Well it's 1:30AM and I'm totally bored out of my mind. Let's write up a Barb guide shall we? How's Frenzy sound? Sounds great to me, so let's have at it.

Disclaimer: This guide will not tell you how to make the Perfect Frenzy Barb as I am writing this 100% based on my experience with my Barb. This is, obviously, not meant for PvP either.

In 1.09 this was a complete cow slaughtering character and to be honest they have dwindled in 1.10. I don't mean in terms of being a viable build, I am talking in terms of population. But, are they still usable? Definately. I must warn you though, it won't be a peice of cake like in 1.09 without the right gear and a little brains :)

Skills

20 - Shout :: Definately max this. You won't be wearing a shield so you will definately be vulnerable. You also lose the DR you'd gain from Storm (obvious choice) so Shout is essential in keeping the hits to a minimum.

20 - Battle Orders :: If there is a Barb out there without BO maxed, please smack him for me. Obvious choice, especially with what I described above.

20 - Frenzy :: Duh? I'd like to hope no explaining is needed.

20 - Mastery :: Some people may still argue this is useless, but with the bug fixed I wouldn't skip it.

20 - Taunt or Double Swing :: Here is where it gets tricky. We all more than likely agree on the above skills for sure. But, we don't have room to fill both of Frenzy's synergies (unless you choose to leave the Mastery out, not recommended). Double Swing and Taunt both add a nice little 8% damage to Frenzy with each level obtained. Problem is, which is more useful? I would definately say Taunt, but this is very much personal preference. Let me break it down.

1 Hit Wonders :: Bash, Double Throw, Howl, Increased Speed/Stamina, Natural Resistance, Iron Skin.

What does Double Swing do?
    To be honest, not much. At level 1 it adds 10 percent to your damage and 15 percent to your attack rating. Yep, it can be handy but I don't see the need. I'll explain later in the progress portion coming up but I personally find this much less useful than Taunt.

How about Taunt?
    Here's a beautiful cry for you. Basically, by screaming this bad boy, you will bring the monsters to you. Obviously Howl is more useful in certain situations, but that's a pre-req so you have it anyway. At level 1 Taunt will bring your enemies rushing into you at a cost of 3 mana to you, but dropping their damage and attack rating by -5 each. At certain points of the game this skill can be crucial.

Stats

Strength - Enough for items. Why not more for damage? Because you Must devote your build to life.

Dexterity - Base. Huh? Base? That's right. You'll have some problems with AR here and there but as long as you take your time and don't rush through you'll be fine. Any stat here is wasted in my opinion aside from any gear.

Vitality - The rest. You should easily be able to hit 400 without a problem by endgame.

Energy - If you touch this I'll sick Yogi Bear on you.

Progress

Stats :: This should be pretty simple, but some people make a few mistakes along the way.

I personally always pump my strength first to get it out of the way. The nice damage boost will help, as will the new access to gear. Obviously if you need 100+ for gear, don't stack it all off the start. I was working towards Enigma in a Dusk Shroud, so I needed very litle Strength (77 with items for Enigma) and I pumped mine early to roughly 60. However, Dusk is horridly ugly :p so if you'd like an Archon, I'd suggest pumping to roughly the same of maybe 60 or 70 very early. After that, pump your vitality. If you did all Strength early you're done, if not just save your last few levels before you can snap on your lowest strength modifier.

NOTE: Remember! Always try to wait out the reqs! ie. Arreat can be used at 42, but requires 110 strength. Do not pump strength just to put that on. Stick on a Gaze or something else until you get your Lowest level strength modifier. What you want is something like this: Enigma allows BoTD allows Arreat allows Storm. Obviously we have no Storm, but that was just a general idea so you know what I mean. This can be tough to do and you may suffer at some points, but you will lose out on life later on.

Skills :: There are many ways you can max your skills but I will try and explain why I did things my way.

1st - Shout :: Why? Why not. It's one of the first maxing skills you get. If you want to max Taunt over Double Swing (recommoneded) than you may find use for it at this point, but I went with Shout.

2nd - Frenzy :: Pretty obvious I'd say. By this time you'll be doing normal Baal runs so missing BO is no big deal. You grab it from your party and even if you don't it shouldn't be too hard to survive.

3rd - Battle Orders :: Here you go. Yes you could work on damage modifiers but I'd suggest BO next. You'll definately want that life boost going into Nightmare. However, if you're not using Enigma and have some +skill items on you may not need to max this just yet.

4th - Mastery :: Many people call this useless but I sure don't. The Synergy/Synergies you invest in will definately help your damage but your Mastery will also add to attack rating and chance to critical hit. Very nice to have!

5th - Final Skill :: Now this is still a point for arguement. You can either do Taunt, Double Swing or even Beserk. I found Taunt to be incredibly useful through the game. If you have good +skill modifiers your Double Swing will still be decent. I would suggest adding 1 point into Beserk though. Without it you will definately have trouble in Hell with all the physical immunes. I would not suggest maxing this as a synergy to Frenzy.

Gear

Helm

Arreats - No question here. This is obviously the only choice as it adds outstanding mods such as resistances, dual stats, FHR and more. To be honest I would definately not suggest any helm over Arreat at end game. It's not too expensive for a cheap one.

Gaze - The only other I would ever consider, but still would cringe at the thought. DR and leech is only reason to use this but if you can get Arreats, do Not use Gaze in 1.10.

Armor

Enigma - Obviously with the huge strength boost you can afford to pump more vitality. Make sure it's in an elite light armor. The DR is handy as well and of course the teleport, FRW and the skills.

CoH - The one big hitter here is the resistances. Still offers the same minor DR, same skills, moderate strength boost and costs roughly the same to create as Enigma. Your build will more than likely have fairly weak resistances so this armor would very much fill that void.

Stone - Another awesome runeword armor. Big problem here is many people prefer big armor which costs much too much strength. The two armors above provide moderate defense but if you want Stone in a lighter armor it's a cheaper alternative with a nice end affect. Stats, minor resistances and an awesome FHR boost are all worthy of mention.

Shaft - Still a favorite of mine. I can still take on Hell with my moderate defense Shaft and come out healthy as a horse. What you lose in defense you gain in life and damage reduction. For the more poor player I definately recommend this bad boy.

Duriels - For the very poor man. Nothing stellar here but the nice resists and life mod should come in handy.

Valor - Hell no! Massive strength is a no no. I just wanted to make that very clear.

Belt

Verdungo's - Really the obvious choice. Great vitality boost and unless you pack on a Shaft it's your only big source of DR. Combined with Enigma/CoH you will rank in with 18-23 and with Shaft a might 40-45. FHR is also very useful. Best bet.

String - Not a bad option at all. Comes with the same DR as Verdungo's but replaces that sexy Vitality mod with life leech. Only other belt I would recommend other than Verdungo's. It's not that expensive and you must have that DR.

IK - Poor end, can be combined with other peices to bring some nice mods. Stat bonus is the only reason I even consider it an option.

Boots

Gore Riders - Too many options to name but these would be my pick. The damage modifiers are insane and I can definately see the difference beteen Gore and another pair.

Sandstorm Trek - Huge poison resist boost, FHR and stats makes these fantastic. Make sure to grab etheral if you can though as that defense is greatly apperciated and the boots repair themselves.

Travs - I really like the added damage on these babies. It can add up nicely and with the stats bonuses you can't go wrong here.

Waterwalks - Nice Dex boost, even though it's ultimately useless for you, and a great life boost. Not too shabby.

IK Boots - A last resort in my opinion, but only because there are so many better. However, these are some pretty powerful boots so don't feel down about using them. The life, AR, good FRW and nice defense are all pluses.

Gloves

Drac's - Great gloves for obvious reasons. Life tap, strength and life leech make these gloves a prime choice.

Steelrends - ED on gloves? How can you say no? And wait, they add massive defense too? Sign me up.

Crafted - You'd want strength, leech, crushing blow, etc but IAS would be very handy if you need a breakpoint.

IK - If you don't need the breakpoint but aren't rich these will do you just fine. My 1.09er used these proudly and now with defense meaning something these can be fully put to use. Combined with IK boots is very nice with the IAS bonus, so remember that if you're IAS hungry and poorer.

Ammy

Highlord's - Depending on your weapon choice you'll want the IAS. Other than that the deadly strike and +1 to skills can also come in handy.

Cat's Eye - I love this baby! If only it had skills, but hey it's still great. Still gives that IAS you need plus some other great mods. If you use Enigma it may be very useless though as you already have good FRW and Dex isn't needed.

Mara's - If you really feel you need the resistances, go for it but the others can be easier to get a hold of and are much more valuable.

Crescent Moon - Lowly option for you. Provides some nice bonuses, namely the dual leech.

Rings

BK Ring - Strap 2 of these on and go for it. People will argue to use Raven but this isn't PvP, who cares if you slow? Not to mention you are attacking insanely fast with Frenzy. The great life, skill and life leech mods make this a perfect fit. I would recommend keeping a Raven in your stash if you're worried about Duriel, etc.

Ravenfrost - Cheap these days so I wouldn't recommend anything else. The AR mod and slight damage make this an okay ring but I would definately look into getting cheap BK rings. Or at least 1 of each.

Weapons - Here's where it gets tricky! So many to choose from. I will tell you only of the 3 I have used, 2 from my 1.09 character and 1 from 1.10.

Ethereal BoTD Zerker - I'm sure non-Eth is great too, but mine was Eth. This is the ultimate dual weapon for Frenzy! The massive attack speed is outstanding letting you swing at insane speeds combined with incredible damage. Add in the huge stat boosts (+60 more vitality!) and you're in heaven. Not to mention the nova going off with Frenzy is great to watch. This is obviously the most expensive but definately your best bet! Colossus Blades will be slower, so be warned.

Shaffers - Yeh, that's how I spell it :) This bad boy was my absolute favorite in 1.09. I couldn't get enough of my Frenzy Barb as I mowed down the cow packs with static flying off the handle. These aren't too expensive these days but still not cheap. The mods are excellent and you will definate fall in love with the kill speed of Frenzy + static field chance on striking. BoTD kills one monster faster but Shaffers kills 100 monsters faster. Only drawback is the level 79 req and the base speed.

B-Star - If you can Etheral Zod this it can be a true killer but if you can't it still packs a punch. I could still run Hell with dual B-Star with minimal problems. The great elemental mods come in handy when against physical immunes and the overall stats are great! Big problem here is Strength. If you're rich and using Enigma and using B-Star until Shaffers you should be fine, but if you're poor you may have some problems. Even at the risk of losing the sockets I would suggest lowering the reqs on these with Hel or a nice jewel. You can't afford 165 strength with this build and can always unsocket if you come into an Enigma or a better weapon.

Others - There are many other great weapons out there, especially with the new patch but I haven't tested a lot. Lightsabre is an option for it's speed and mods, but the damage is just too weak at end game. Runewords ar ethe big hitter now with nice ones like Famine, Kingslayer and many more a viable option. When considering a weapon definately look for IAS and make sure the weapon you're socketing has a good base weapon speed. In 1.09 it was viable to use a 160/60 IAS armor on a Barb for the breakpoint, but in 1.10 it's a totally different story. Always aim for one of the last breakpoints, you will really notice the difference when you hit the bottom few.

NOTE: Shaffers is amazing but without the huge IAS it could give problems. In 1.09 using Cat's Eye, 40/15 in both Shaffers with 160/60 IAS armor I found the BP and plowed cows. I think I went over the BP by a bit, but I got to the 2nd last I believe and it was a Huge difference from when I switched to my Shaft. If you plan to go with Shaffers consider IAS options to ensure a reasonable BP and/or make sure your FHR is decent.

Equip Notes :: When you're a low level consider Angelic rings/ammy. The AR boost is nice and will help you when your AR is weakened with the low Dex. Also don't overlook Bloodletter no matter your mastery. I fell in love with this weapon and was soloing 8 player NM Baal runs with it. Good low level armor I'm fond of it Boneflesh with AR, life leech and open wounds. 65 strength Req so if you're using low Strength Enigma such as Dusk, Hel rune this baby and tear it up.

Charms

Personal preference here. I went with 5x War Cry and 5x Combat for 09 and for .10 I went with a full stash of legit 3/ar/mod SCs. Definately liked my damage more, but a few War Cry GCs won't hurt. Resistances may also be a problem for you, so keep an eye on these.

Merc

Act 2, Nightmare, Offensive. Enough said. Well, I'll quickly explain. Might! Yep, these guys add Might to your attack and boy does it give you some insane power behind that Frenzy. Trust me, it is crazy. This is one great option for people with lower IAS and you will slightly compensate for it. But every Frenzy barb should look into these guys. The damage increase is beautiful. If you're a little poorer try and get your hands on Spire of Honor (Amn) + Crown of Theives + Moderate armor (Corpsemon is my Fav) and he should do just fine.

Playing Him

Cast Shout. Cast BO. Run in, Taunt and go nuts. I honestly have an immense amount of fun playing Frenzy barbs and even though they aren't as useful as they were in 09's cow rampage days they are still a great addition to any team. He's a powerhouse to be honest with the possibility of great leech and damage. My 1.10 character is gone as is most of the gear. My 09 is still around but without the gear and the wrong mastery I can't let you guys know stats to aim for. I can tell you that he reaches 4k life with only level 20 BO and 350 Vitality so huge amounts are definately within your reach. His tanking abilities are clear as I suited my 09 (no synergy) up in Arreat + Gaze + Verdungos + Highlord + Drac + Gore + 1xBK 1xRaven + 2xB-Star and power-acted a friend through Nightmare and Hell with little to no problem. Obviously with B-Star my damage wasn't stellar and big life/defense bosses were slow kills, but I don't think I used a single pot outside of the sanctuary. Yes, that place will wreck you! That is one reason I advice a 1-point wonder in Beserk as well (we're talking about Iron Maiden here)

Conclusion

Don't expect this guide to tell you exactly how to create the perfect Frenzy Barb. I basically provided you with very minimal details on the builds so that you can dive into it and explore it for yourself. I will not promise this guide to pump out the best Frenzy character of all time. As stated before I am basing this 100% on my own experience and relaying information to you. Feel free to chime in as I don't consider myself an expert at all but figured I could offer some insight. Thanks for sticking with me, and sorry if I left anything out of this wasn't a strong enough guide for you guys. Excuse the spelling, it's 3:30am now :)

Thanks for reading, happy hunting.
    - jbeast

2. foxnews

foxnews IncGamers Member

Nothing really new to the table. Could of probably figured out skill placement by looking at the Synergies for Frenzy. But a well written guide for people that lack the ability to figure out how to make a Frenzy Baba. But still Kudos for a well written guide.

P.S. Don't Shoot me, just a critique.

On weapons however though, I'd say any combination 1.1 runeword using axes would be great.
    Doom-holy freeze
    Beast-Fanat
    Botd-Duh
    Crescent moon- Static

3. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

Fun guide, but i would stress the use of Angelic rings/amulet the attack rating it gives is awsome for almost any defense.

And on the Doom note, yea freeze is OK but notice how it has that cast Volcano on striking? That interupts your Frenzy alot becuase i had tested something such as Doom+Beast.

[email protected]~

4. Orodreth

Orodreth IncGamers Member

I was wondering, for us who arent rich enough to have BOTD or any of the other exotic weapons would 2 Razors Edge be somewhat useful??? Fast, deadly strike, -def and open wounds doesnt sound all that bad in my ears or am I totally off here????

5. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

also i think a mention should be made of Nos coil if you need that extra IAS to hit a breakpoint

6. jbeast

jbeast Banned

foxnews: No problem, I was totally expecting posts like yours. I wasn't trying to reinvent the build, just share the basic idea of it with people who may be interested. It was much more popular in 1.09 so I figured if they didn't leap into the build then they may want a little something now to get them started :)

Zero: I would definately stress Angelic in the lower levels but to be honest it isn't needed later on. Especially if you can get your hands on weaps/runewords that add AR you'll be fine. I have no problem running hell with the weapons I mentioned using base Dex. But, if your weapon lacks AR you may need it.

orodreth: Sounds like a very viable option. I haven't tested it but by the looks of it it would be a great choice for the moderately rich person. The mods are definately nice, but later you will suffer from damage. No worries, if your damage is low you can still tank guys it may just take more smacks :)

I'd just like to say sorry if the guide isn't deep enough. Maybe I shouldn't've written it without testing a ton of weapons, I just noticed there wasn't one around and people still ask. Also knew people would post here with their opinions on what works for weapons and people in need could check that out. Hopefully what I did write is useful to some people roaming these forums, but don't worry, next time I'm definately doing research. I just wanted to show the basic build of one of my all time favorites to the unknowing :)

7. jbeast

jbeast Banned

Killfrenzy: Yep, guess I could have but I strongly stress getting DR on that belt. Without good armor you could easily be looking at 0 DR which isn't fun, I did test that. But here's some option, I meant to include some but it was 3AM so you know. Sorry bout that.

IAS Options

Gloves

Lava Gouts - The best of any IAS glove option being mentioned. Nice defense, enchant, fire damage and added fire resist.

Laying of the Hands - The IAS is there but so is a great mod, demon damage. On most characters I love keeping one of these in stash for questing, especially Act 4. The Holy Bolt can be annoying though.

Wilhem's Pride - Nothing special here, just the IAS and some nice AR.

Bloodfists - If you only need 10 IAS these are fantastic. The FHR is perfect as well as the life and damage mod. Don't overlook these.

IK - 2 peices give you the IAS in 1.10. I would suggest gloves + boots as I really stress getting some DR on your character.

Belts

Nos Coil - Decent belt with strength mod and 10 IAS. The life leech will be handy, but you could trade this for a cheap String though.

Goldwrap - Nice for low levels, but the terrible mods away from 10 IAS make this less than satisfactory.

Low Level Weapon Options

Rixot's Keen - Are you kidding me? The mods here are amazing. AR, great damage for level req 2, great weapon speed.

Blood Crescent - Lower damage but nice mods. Life leech, resists, life and Open Wounds make this a killer.

Deathspade - Great for just starting out. Blinding your target while the AR boost lets you pound him silly.

Bloodrise - Huge AR boost, life leech and Open Wounds. Do not overlook this.

The Butcher's Pupil - Outstanding mods! Deadly Strike, Open Wounds and fair speed make this a killer.

Bloodletter - The damage is moderate but the mods are pretty useful as is the base weapon speed. This baby's fast.

Atlantian - Awesome for the lower levels. The AR mod is especially nice.

Fleshrender - Ouch, amazing. Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, Deadly Strike, Prevent Monster Heal. A great choice.

Earthshaker - Could take you pretty far in the game. Decent speed with nice damage and mods. Just falls short of B-Star.

Hopefully that helps a few people out. Sorry for leaving that stuff out.

8. snow_crash

snow_crash IncGamers Member

Having a Frenzy barb of my own, I wouldn't reccomend angelic ring/ammy setup. Having Maxed Frenzy gives you enough AR as it is. Not to mention, I'm stuck wearing sigs helm and gloves atm, so that gives me lots of ar as well. I'm classic, by the way

9. NyTStrykE

NyTStrykE IncGamers Member

Me personally, I use dual death cleavers, they are very fast, relatively powerful and the deadly stike % is really good.

For the Ammy, I use atma's for the chance of amp damage.

I use one Raven, because AR is important to me. The cannot be frozen helps, but isn't really the main reason for me using it. AR added to the dex it already has increases my AR by a lot. (that, and no AR on my weapons) My other ring is a dual leech ring with some stat mods.

I went the other rout and instead of shout used Warcry. I like it a lot since I don't need to max it (i find ~8 pts is sufficient, with +skills, should be 15 or above) This way, I can increase the synergies more. I have enough points into double swing where it starts giving me mana back (for the stupid mana burners)

10. frend? or foe!

frend? or foe! IncGamers Member

please don't forget stormlash! with lots more speed than schaffers these
    baby's are a frenzyers wet dream! :drool:

11. goneil

goneil IncGamers Member

Stormlashes definitely need to be mentioned, if you got 2 of em equiped your always throwing out tornadoes and static. Crazy fast too. Lotsa fun. (damage doesnt suck either).