Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Jay Wilson Recent D3 comments

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Dacar92, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

This is from our news page but I thought it deserves discussion here. Please check it out and let's hear your thoughts. Some of the comments are worth discussing as well.

http://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/jay-wilson-answers-diablo-3-qurestions

Q: How much of what makes current D3 so good was discussed & tabled during original design?

Jay: Depends on what you mean by tabled. Seasons and rifts were planned in a general sense, but D3 benefited from play and learning in the wild. I wish the current D3 had been shipping D3, but the learning process is what led to what’s current.

Jay: I get that you felt it went too far away from originals. We were worried about stagnation, so built what felt like, to us, a unique sequel.

Jay: Truly great companies, like Blizzard, believe that money follows quality and treating your customers right. I agree with this.

Jay : I can’t say no regrets about anything. Everything I work on I look back at and think a lot of things could be done better.

Q: Were you surprised at all with Blizzcon Diablo announcement? Felt incredibly underwhelming and the community is up in arms.

Jay: Name another game company that adds a new class and remakes an entire game inside their existing game…for free.

Q: What was the major factor that made you guys decide to make D3 more of its on beast rather than just D2.5?

Jay: We wanted to call it Diablo 3, not Diablo 2.5.

Jay: The non-cheeky answer is that our early versions were more like a 2.5, and we weren’t excited by it. It wasn’t worth releasing.

Q: Who was truly responsible for D3’s artsyle? You took blame for it too but I don’t believe that. Pardo? Upper management?

Jay: The art directors, but I was responsible for all final decisions

Jay: No regrets of visual look/tone. IMO D3 is a beautiful game that doesn’t visually copy the previous games while still paying tribute to them.

Q: And finally considering the lighthearted tone and feel compared to previous games, I suspect it’s Blizz upper maganement….?

Jay: But no, there was no upper management pressure. Blizzard was the most creative freedom I had in my game career.

Jay: A part of me wishes I stuck around for this, but after 8 years I was very burnt out. I also think there were benefits in some fresh eyes.

2. moshy

moshy Diabloii.Net Member

"Jay: Name another game company that adds a new class and remakes an entire game inside their existing game…for free."

Grim Dawn has added quite a lot of content for free.

In the name of Zod likes this.
  3. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Creating content for free means nothing as a statement by itself anyhow. It's such a pointless blanket statement to make, reminds me of all the free content that they did actually make for D3. Pointless sets, useless skill changes, worthless crafting etc. To say that as a good thing in D3 is nuts. Rift trials was free content. Yet, even with 'free content'-patching its only barely an improvement. There is still gigantic slewths of the game going to waste like rares, magic items and numberous legendaries not to mention whites. It took someone to die to actually get something like the cube in the game, just goes to show how hard it would be to make changes to the game.

I clearly remember my first let down in D3 was learning how whites had no use at all. They were and still are nothing. It's like WTF? Then I remembered $$$. Ah yes, as long as peeps are spending it doesn't matter at all what happens.