Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Jay Wilson is now a World of Warcraft designer

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Rushster, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rushster

Rushster Administrator

elly Submitted a news story

Jay Wilson is now a World of Warcraft designer

[​IMG]

Whatever happened to Jay? After his departure from Diablo 3 Jay moved on to work on the now cancelled Project Titan sci-fi MMO. With that now canned, Jay has since moved on to World of Warcraft as a designer which is revealed in a list of credits for the upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.

Jay has worked on WoW before as part of the Strike team for Mists of Pandaria so WoW is not new to Jay.

If you're new to Diablo 3, Jay Wilson was the original Game Director who resigned his position after backlash from the community about the game's design and direction. He also admitted that that the auction house actually "hurt the game" during his GDC panel which was a real insight into his time working on the game.
    Continue reading the Original Story

2. trainRiderJ

trainRiderJ Diabloii.Net Member

he must be a really good bullshitter or take credit for other people's work, otherwise I don't get why he still has a job there. Although, just being one of the "additional designers" is a pretty big demotion I guess.

3. trainRiderJ

trainRiderJ Diabloii.Net Member

in fact, there are separate categories for Game Designer and Level Designer, of which he is neither. I wonder how much input he actually had.

4. LUH3417

LUH3417 Diabloii.Net Member

"Jay Wilson was the original Game Director who resigned his position after backlash from the community about the game’s design and direction."

Not to nitpick here, but I'm curious. Was it ever acknowledged by Blizzard that Jay resigned because of the negative feedback from the community?

5. ChimpMagnet

ChimpMagnet Diabloii.Net Member

Art is always a reflection of the person making it, Jay Wilson will never create something cool with personality.

6. Jaydenz

Jaydenz Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, you guys are really harsh on the guy. I personally think he did a great job with Diablo 3. The game was finally released, and he did a great job hyping it up and making me want to play it with his explanation of features and demoing it. I got to meet him at Blizzcon and he's a really nice guy.

Shame on you for bad mouthing him and desiring him to be fired. He wasn't perfect, he's human. The RMAH was an idea they had for getting rid of the third party transactions that happen with a game like Diablo. It was a good idea in theory, it just didn't pan out like they envisioned. Yeah in retrospect it was a mistake, but they admitted it and they moved forward. Now the game is in the best shape it can be, although I think the whole BoP nature of legendary items is retarded and completely destroyed the trade game that has always been a part of the Diablo series.

Bashing Jay does nothing but bring toxic attitudes to the game. He was just the face of the development, it didn't mean that he was 100% responsible for every feature added or removed from the core game. Get a clue.

7. Benzedrine

Benzedrine Diabloii.Net Member

I never paid attention much to this matter but based off the podcasts I think a lot of the criticisms are just said as a joke.

8. Dree

Dree Diabloii.Net Member

Marty, people resign from good jobs to take better jobs all the time. His life, unlike yours apparently, didn't revolve around Diablo 3.

And by the way, the "vast majority of the gaming community" was not negative on the RMAH.

9. Mortalo

Mortalo Diabloii.Net Member

Lol, some of this comments are ridiculous. Jay Wilson was designer on both Company of Heroes and W40k: Dawn of War - two really good rts games. So you should revisit your posts.

Fun fact is that also Joshy Moshy worked on that games.

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

No, and in fact they said positive things on his way out. Even if D3 had been spectacular right from the start, it's likely he'd have moved on by now. Blizzard seldom keeps the same person as game director for more than a few years. Tyler Thompson took over as lead dev on D2X, for instance, while Brevik and the Schaefers moved on to work on other projects, mainly the Bliz North version of D3.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_III:_Blizzard_North_version

11. Flux

Flux Administrator

Surprised there's no mention of Condi Rice visiting the Bliz campus and sitting in on a WoW dev meeting?

12. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Jay was the Diablo 3 "Game Director". So, yes he was responsible for all things that went into the game and those that were cut from it. He took a lot of heat from press, fans and former Diablo 2 designers. Some of it was justified and some was just piling on.

13. Jaydenz

Jaydenz Diabloii.Net Member

Lol, love the troll there Flux! :)

14. Crayfis

Crayfis Diabloii.Net Member

He seems to have cursed himself when he uttered the no infamous words '**** that loser'. The irony.

15. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer Diabloii.Net Member

I think its a bit naive to assume that for a game from a company as big as Blizzard and with as much time and money invested in its development as D3, that anyone, even the Game Director, had anything approaching absolute power. Especially when it comes to something like the AH (i.e. revenue stream). That's the kind of decision made by executives and accountants. Jay will have just had the responsibility of making it work. "We want real money item trading. Make it happen." The idea the AH was put in the game solely because Jay wanted it there, and that it went because Josh wanted it gone, is absurd.

And I'm sure a lot of the problems with D3s early stages were caused by the WoW strike team coming in and provoking sweeping changes (weapon % damage for spells, runes unlocked rather than items, etc) which required time that took away from other features and hindered late game testing, and the higher ups demanding D3 be released when it was even if the game wasn't ready. Again, that wouldn't be Jay's decision, he'd just have to find a way to implement it (i.e. cutting features left, right and centre).

I'm not saying Jay did a fantastic job. It's impossible to say without knowing exactly what he had to work with. But he and the team did deliver a game with a solid core which over time has been fleshed out to a fantastic game. If he'd truly screwed up as badly as people like to make out, then no amount of patches or expansions would have been able to save D3.

It's worth remembering, as a dev pointed out a while when the subject of Jay was brought up in stream, that the one thing most attributed to Jay Wilson is the game's smooth, visceral combat - i.e. the thing I've most often seen cited as the reason people kept playing even when D3 was at it's worst, that made people who quit want to be able to come back, and which sets D3 above it's competitors.

16. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

jay wilson? **** that guy.

17. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

But D3 is okay...? Right?

18. Artemis

Artemis Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, since Jay left.

19. jenniferwilson920

jenniferwilson920 Diabloii.Net Member

He is like a Mysterious Person .......... I wanna be design like him..........

20. Darkmere

Darkmere Diabloii.Net Member

Man, let me tell ya... the amount of petty spite and bile on either side of this issue really never gets old. I'm glad we can dredge this up again for cheap thrills every so often. Can the next article get some Bobby Kotick in it too? Also ActibliZZ and the game is too colorful and the servers didn't work right on launch. And there's no necromancers.

jenniferwilson920 likes this.