Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Jay: no binding items in D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by secondii, Apr 29, 2011.

1. secondii

secondii Diabloii.Net Member

Jay: no binding items in D3

exclusive news from diablo3.cc :

in the diablo3.cc's exclusive interview with Jay Wilson on 28th April, Jay said d3 will not have binding items, just like d2.:thumbup:

source:http://bbs.diablo3.cc/read.php?tid-12526.html [Chinese]

[​IMG]

2. Thecla

Thecla Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Jay: no binding items in D3

Hmmm...that's pretty interesting. I am curious to see how the whole gold/item economy will work out (or not work out) in D3. Will it be really different from D1/D2 with no dupes, gold being a worthwhile currency, and an effective in-game trading system, or will it more or less degenerate to the old ways?

3. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

If there is even 1 flaw in the whole system of D3, no matter how tiny it is. Players WILL find it and take advantage of it til Blizzard fixes it.

Only way to find out is by playtesting the game, so nothing can be said untill then, no matter how solid a theory might sound.

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

Secondii, I replied to your email a few days ago, and sent you a PM. Check those when you can.

On this interview, can you give us some details about what Jay said about D3 Achievements compared to Starcraft 2? The google translation of those 2 questions was incomprehensible.

It was pretty bad for the questions about unique/legendary items also, as well as the bit about Arena requirements and e-sports, if you're in an explaining mood.

5. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Why did it take nearly 6 years for them to understand binding items won't work in a Diablo type game?

Still this is good news and I congratulate D3 team because they turned back from their mistake.

Now I do wonder, what do determined bind on equip defenders think about this? Blizzard fanboys seem to love anything Blizzard do so they loved the bind on equip decision and now they have to love this decision too no matter what. Will be pretty interesting and entertaining to hear their thoughts :D

6. Triaxe

Triaxe Diabloii.Net Member

Such good news. I was never happy with the binding system when I played WoW and I figured my frustration would only be magnified since the meat of diablo is all about the loot.

7. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Thank you Secondii for the link :thumbup:

@Flux

Let me try, I also use an online translator but its a bit easier for me since I can read a bit of Chinese :smug:

Battle.net systems, will D3 have new features, different from StarCraft 2? What kind of reward will the achievement system will bring? Titles? Items? Or something else?

D3 Battle.net is to some extent similar to StarCraft 2, but co-op battle is a very important part of D3. StarCraft 2 has it also, but there is a very big difference. In Diablo 3 the player can freely enter or leave different rooms at any time. This is not possible in SC2. SC2 Battle.net needs to search for matches but D3 does not need to.

Diablo 3 has a unique information system call "Arms" (the word needs to be confirmed), which is a broadcasting system. You can use this system to inform all online players, what kind of things you will be doing. Such as start team or create games.

We are very satisfied with the current achievements system, our energy is primarily focused on the the contents of the achievements system. We want to be able to attract players to complete these achievements, but not to create a lot of meaningless rewards to attract them.
    ------------------------------------------------------

I will admit it's a bit clunky so corrections are welcomed.

8. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash Diabloii.Net Member

Can you be so kind to explain why it is such a good news?

I would really like to know what was blizzard's reasoning to remove this kind of thing.

9. Mr_Bartuc

Mr_Bartuc Diabloii.Net Member

That's interesting. Just when we'd all adjusted to having binding items, it seems they've discovered that no bind will work better in the diablo economy. Hope to hear more in the blizzcon panel this year hmm hmm :scratchchin:

10. Zorrah

Zorrah Diabloii.Net Member

I have never really cared either way. On one hand, I have to gear each character individually, on the other hand, I seriously get to use hand me downs for alts. Getting rid of binding does make it easier for me to gear alts. If I want to challenge myself and play a new alt untwinked, I just have to make myself do it and not give all my characters hand me downs. Though, most of my Diablo II alts lately have been created because my necromancer has been getting some screaming drops in hell and I've been creating alts to just use some of those.

11. secondii

secondii Diabloii.Net Member

ok?here is some clarification:

this is part of Blizzard Entertainment 20th Anniversary events,we went to Irvine and interviewed all Blizzard game directors,CEO,VP,ect in two days. all the questions are submited by our forum members. and i am not the guy in the photo.he is Bloodface,webmaster of Diablo3.cc .

here is the pics of the gift we gave it to Blizzard Entertainment CEO Mike Morhaime?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have not got the original record,so here is the interview summary:

NEC will return as NPCs.it's possible he may be a playable character in the expansion,but is is too early too say.

no comments on Mercs.

9th May announce beta?
    Mike: be more patience,a few days ahead.

PAUL SAMS:d3's development goes very well,1k 2010 BLIZZCON beta keys will send out as soon as beta announced[or beta started], he can't say exact date,but MAY BE VERY SOON.

the monster in the middle of BLIZZCON 2011's poster,is it Dlablo? will he be the Final Boss?
    Jay:this is a very critical issue.we have had a very long discussion,iis it still a Diablo series game if there is no Diablo? so Diablo is back ,the hell forces will lead the plot developments.

game UI design has been very "stable", and will not change much. the function of right mouse button can switch between different skills has been removed. my fault.
    correction: the TAB switch between 2 skills on RMB is not shown in the default UI.

daily quests,we have not decided yet.

Legendary Items are not too "powerful". to funish the game youwill need some other items ,like set items.

for Clvl 60 chars,you can do MF,but is's not the only thing you can do ,in D3 MF is secondary thing.

pvp arena likely will have some limitation ,especially in formal PVP games, such as tournaments or official competitions.

NEW information system --"Arms"[the system name needs to be confirmed] ,you can use this system to inform all online players, what are you going to do.

fmulder’s translation is so good :thumbup:
    i can;t do any better.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  12. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Wha? Poor, unless they replaced this with something to allow to switch out main attack spells easily. With LMB/RMB/Tab, you had 3 of those, if that is removed and not replaced, you are locked to only 2 primary attack abilities. While this allows the usual "single target, crowd killing" set up, it would have been nice to have a third utility based main attack ability. For example: Magic Missle, Arcane Orb, Ray of Frost.

Hint at set item availability? "to finish the game you need," does this mean they figured out some manner in which to guarantee set items for a regular player?

I am guessing quest rewards or crafting, or even both.
    Details, dammit, details. This is the number one way for Diablo 3 to stomp on the competition quality-of-gameplay wise.

@BindingItems
    Meh, I was hoping for a Bind-to-Account system. My fear with having a no-bind system is that they will go the absurdly stupid "one Zod rune per server!" drop rates. That is, unless they came up with another way to cycle high end legendaries out of the economy. More information needed to make a judgment.

13. Doomscream

Doomscream Diabloii.Net Member

Since we are lost in the translation, can we attract Bashiok's attention on the matter? A topic on the Battle.net forum or a personal msg from someone with such privileges *cough Flux cough* can make everything more clear.

14. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

I'm really disappointed by this. I really liked that feature in the demo, it felt really fluid.

15. hubb

hubb Diabloii.Net Member

Ye, I only heard positive things about it post-blizzcon. Maybe some of the testers got confused when they were suddenly using a different skill :wink: :wink: :nudge:

Didn't they say something about the crafting system taking high-end items out of the economy?

16. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

This makes me unbelievably happy.

I'm so glad that they opted to continue with the bind-less spirit of the Diablo universe instead of making a small part of the game un-fun in order to "balance" the "economy".

Probably the best D3 news I have heard since they first started talking about binding.

17. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

Negative incentive to equip loot in a game as item centric as Diablo is a terrible idea. End of discussion.

18. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

So now the item market it going to collapse b/c there aren't enough item sinks to go around. Much better than forcing a player to stop and think for a second about how much this gear is actually worth to him versus what else he could trade it for which might be better for him.

19. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Right and every game ever released that was item centric collapsed due to it not being bind of equip or bind to account?

I have played far to many games where the economy did not fail to even remotely believe diablo 3 will suffer the same fate as the official channels for trade on bnet. Serveral fan sites such as this one have trade channels that far overshadow the worthless official trade channels in every aspect.

Diablo 2 and its economy have never gotten the proper care from the developers as such the economy never stood a chance when put up against the shortcomings of the game and the developer shortcomings such as uber diablo who was designed to stop the rampage soj duping but only increased it instead.

Say what you want about the diablo 3 dev team but they got experience at how to handle trade i doubt they will allow it to fail, if it does not work good enough they will rework it.

20. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire Diabloii.Net Member

I'm sad to see the right mouse button switching mechanic go... I guess that means we won't be putting potions on our bars anymore...