Jaw Surgery Soon

Jaw Surgery Soon

So as some of you may remember last year I had an emergency removal of my wisdom teeth. It was done the day after I got back from Scout camp(about 15 hours). The reason? I was going to have jaw surgery 6 weeks later and hopefully be healed by the time school started. That plan did not work out for many reasons including me not trusting the surgeon who was going to do it. Mainly because he said there was a ~90% I would never have feeling in my lower lip and jaw after the surgery and the fact he did such a bad job on my wisdom teeth.

This surgery is to correct my bite. My lower jaw will be cut behind my molars and then slide forward and pinned in place. The nerve running through my jawbone will be pretty messed up and I won't have feeling for a while and there is a small chance(less than 1%) that I will never get full feeling back. I will be wired shut for one week and be on a soft/liquid diet for a few weeks. I even got off lucky by only needing the lower jaw done.

Here it is a full year later and my surgery date is set for July 19, we just switched insurance so it may move, but we are trying pretty hard to not have that happen.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Good luck with that, man. I've only gone under the knife to get my ACL reconstructed, and I was awake for that one, watching it on a TV monitor. I imagine this one will be a bit more involved.

"Just want to tell you good luck . . . we're all counting on you." /Airplane!

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
Good luck, don't be that less than 1% person. Make sure MaggieMoo takes good care of you. Interpret that any way you want.

EDIT: And don't call him Shirley.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
I myself have a similar problem. My jaw is pushed back as well, i've had it like that my whole life. I was told about surgery to correct it many years ago but i declined. The simple reason is that they said there is a chance they can sever nerves in that area when they are repositioning the jaw which would mean loss of feeling in your lower mouth. I thought to myself "no damn way" and haven't contemplated it again. My condition isn't that noticable to risk permanent nerve damage :)

Omikron8 said:
I myself have a similar problem. My jaw is pushed back as well, i've had it like that my whole life. I was told about surgery to correct it many years ago but i declined. The simple reason is that they said there is a chance they can sever nerves in that area when they are repositioning the jaw which would mean loss of feeling in your lower mouth. I thought to myself "no damn way" and haven't contemplated it again. My condition isn't that noticable to risk permanent nerve damage :)
Mine is pretty bad I only have two sets of molars lined up, one on each side and I only chew my food up about 1/3 as much as I should. Would cause some nasty side effects later, so I am going to fix it now.