Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Javelin Qs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by krzyhobo, Mar 18, 2005.

1. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Javelin Qs

In my Diablo 2 n00bness, I've never built a character that uses Javelins.

My first question: do javelin skills rely on the quantity of the weapon in use or is that only lowered by using the standard throwing attack?
    Second question: I just found an ethereal Titan's Revenge which appears to be a pretty decent javelin - is it end-game capable? I can't tell because I don't know the damage modifiers that the Amazon skills will provide.

Tried searching for both of these topics but I can't seem to find much of anything using the forum search (attributable to my n00bness, most likely.)

2. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

gratz on your eth titans!

you just found the best javelin in the game (it owns thunderstroke because of +4 to javelin skills), and etheral is great because of the 'replenish quantity' mod. you can upgrade it to matriarchal javelin, but this is not necessary (only lightning dam matters).

when you attack with javelin skills like lf or poison javelin (when a javellin is thrown), that attack decreases the quantity by one.

mfg nobo

3. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

As far as I'm aware if you jab or use some simlar attack with javelins they don't diminish but I may be wrong on that score.

What I do know however is that many amazon players swear by the eth Titans as the weapon of choice for a javazon, upgraded if possible though it doesn't absolutely require it.

4. krzyhobo

Woo! That brightened my day a little :D I can't believe I actually found something respectable.

So hypothetically, let's say it's time to build a Lightning Fury (or similar) Amazon, wouldn't I throw out some 60 attacks in no time flat and then have to run to town over and over to repair? Or in the case of an ethereal weapon stand around and wait for the quantity to replenish over time? That's always puzzled me.

5. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Using javelins in melee does diminish their durability which shows up in a reduction in the number of javelins available. However, quantity and durability are two separate things. So, while ethereal titans can replenish quantity, they cannot repair durability. I'm pretty sure that using ethereal titans in melee can decrease the the durability which shows up as a permanent decrease in max stack size.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this...

-Cat

6. cft

cft IncGamers Member

Im pretty sure most of the Jav skills do their damage, plus the jav damage. So your total damage is affected, but your skill damage is the same if use junk or elite javs.

Eth Titans is really nice. Look into making a hybrid zon, is my advice. I had fun with my LF/magic arrow zon.

7. Raeff

Raeff IncGamers Member

Jabbing and other such attacks with throwing weapons uses quantity as durability, at about 1/3 the rate IIRC.
    As for using up your javalins, yes you will run out if you only use your Titans, so it is a good idea to have some others on switch, and maybe a third in your inventory to tide you over until your Titans replenishes. Even Damaged javalins can do a decent job as the damage is from the skill not the javalins.

8. krzyhobo

Cattleya - Thanks for the information. Until further notice I'll assume you're correct.

cft - Thanks to you, too. That build sounds fun. I'm a big fan of builds that don't have to run in fear of particular immunes :)

edit:

Raeff - Just what I was wondering. Thanks.

9. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Titan's self repair is quite fast, but you will eventually get to the point where you have to wait for it... I remember I used dual Titan's in 1.09 in the cow level...I could usually go 1 whole cow level with 1 Titan's and then I'd switch...after 4-5 cow runs both javelins would be almost exhausted and I had to repair...If you can find another pair of Titan's that would be ideal...otherwise you have to go back to town frequently...although not so often that it becomes unbearable..

Ethereal Titans are definitely end-game viable, just as normal Titan's are..Amazons don't really rely on their physical damage so much...it's more about lightning or poison damage...Jab seems to be the most popular backup attack and its fast attack rate somewhat makes up for the lowish physical damage.

As for durability and repair...I read something in the statistics forum about this... I'm not 100% sure but I think RTB said that you couldn't break ethereal Titan's by meleeing with them...or you'd have to attack insanely fast to do so...When you melee with your Titan's and lose durability you have to lose it faster than the Titan's self-repair...otherwise you'll just get a new javelin to replace the one that's been damage...at least that's how I understood it.

10. krzyhobo

Interesting. I'm going to try to dig that thread up.

In the mean time I'm going to avoid meleeing with mine just to play it safe.

11. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

I've never heard of that before; I would assume that it'll still repair normally as if you had thrown some javelins, but I'm not 100% sure. I know for sure that if you completely deplete a stack of eth Titan's, you won't be able to use them again. I think it'll still replenish after the number of javelins goes down to 0, but you still won't be able to use them.

12. krzyhobo

I found that thread here. I won't summarize because apparently the maximum stack size reduction and such is still under debate. Interesting read, though.

Kabal - is it possible that you're experience with the quantity not replenishing happened in 1.09? The linked thread seems to indicate that this was a changed.