Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Javazon Merc - Best obtainable gear?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by hejhej, May 5, 2005.

1. hejhej

hejhej IncGamers Member

Javazon Merc - Best obtainable gear?

Hi!

I'm a pure Javazon, playing on Ladder.
    I was just wondering what you guys thoughts on merc are, regarding a javazon.

Myself I think a HF Merc is a good choice, I went ahead and made the runeword INFINITY in a 4-OS Eth Thresher, boy do I love the conviction aura :)

Now I have been thinking what helm + armour he should use.
    Should I stick with gaze + shaftstop, or try and get something else/what runeword in that case?

Stone? Eth Levi?

I'm wondering what you guys would pick (Bare in mind this is a Pure Cowkiller, with occasional pit mf'ing as well)

So basically I'm looking for a "godly" setup, or from your experiences what works best.

Any feedback will be most apprecieated.

// Hejhej

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Now I probably will make you sad, but this is my view:
    I'd say HF isnt the right merc. When running cows with a javazon, at least I want to gather the cows in large numbers, then wipe them all out at once. (since it is faster than picking one at a time)
    And to gather a big bunch (30+) cows takes some sheepheardingskills, and with a merc that slows them down, the gathering takes more time.
    Thats why I'd prefer a defiance merc instead.

So, enough about what sort of merc. Now: equip.
    If you got an infinity, I'm jealous. ;)
    Its great, no matter what. Stick with it.

As for the helm, I'd recommend either a crown of thieves (for the lifesteal) or gaze (a little less lifesteal, but dr). Thats your call. If you have a good gaze, use it.

Armor: My favorite has always been Stone rw. If your merc has decent attackspeed along with nice damage and lifesteal, the extra dr isnt really needed. If he has 60%fhr (from stone) he will virtually just stand there and hit monsters all the time. Thats nice. Make the Stone in a high def eth armor, and he wont even get hit much at all.

Thats all for me ;)

Oh, and besides, Levi cant be eth. It has the indestructible mod :p

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i agree, defiance > hf on a javazon .. as for gear, if price isnt an issue:

eth great poleaxe infinity (faster than cryptic, more damage than thresher, and longer range than both)

eth archon chains of honor - gives ll and skills, so you can use a non leeching helm - dream

eth bonevisage dream - the -lit res on infinity will make the damage actually noticeable, and it looks cool with all the auras. =D

4. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

no point in defiance as when you are running your defence gets cut down anyways, and javazons run alot. Might would even be better to help your jab dmg for lit immunes.

5. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

I agree, might or prayer. :)

6. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

if you go cowing in Hell, any merc works equally well, b/c they die no matter how careful you are.

a defiance will help your valk/decoy a lot, but that's it. And a valk is either already very strong (no need to get more defense), or just a little distraction (for a PvP'er - also extra defense is worthless)

a Might merc is good only if he's alive. However, how much extra physical dmg can a typical Javazon get from his Might aura if you use Titan's or lesser wpn? Surely, he has higher dmg with the same wpn, but do you or your valk really need that? Any merc with decent CB kills.

a HF merc helps you best most of the time. And actually I could manage to keep him survive a solo cow game in Hell the whole time, which was amazing. but was able to do this only once or twice.

7. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

my defiance merc always survives hell cows. =o

i dont like holy freeze since when you cow and use lf, the cows scatter and holy freeze slows them down when they regroup.

8. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

Always???

What are the 3 pieces of equip you gave him? And his level? Also, what type of cowing game were you referring to? Any 1-8ppl Hell cowing games on SCL, including solo cowing in games of any size?

I know, in 1.10 act2 mercs (not just defiance) do survive better than they were in 1.09. But unless part of your goal is to keep him alive and toss javelins in his direction whenever he's about to be surrounded by large cow packs, he'll still die. And he dies very often if you do herding, as all well-played Javazons used to do in 1.09. In fact, lvl 30+ Valk can die there too (tho rarely). in SC, many Javazons themselves die in the cow level, not to mention their mercs.

Sure, HF makes cowing a bit harder. But that's why you don't resurrect him if he dies in the cow level. Note: HF can help a lot everywhere (including slowing down extra fast cows to give a bit safety), but defiance won't help much with anything, it just doesn't interfere with your cowing (herding) - that's it.

(I assume we are not talking about a DOOM-wielding defiance merc - if you use DOOM, you'd be generally better off hiring a Might merc)

9. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i dont pubby hell cow, the most ive hell cowed is 4 ppl total (3 others).

my merc uses infinity cv, andy's 'ral', levi or eth shaft .. i forgot. =o we're both lvl 85.

i feed him pots though. i use defiance mainly for his def bonus, since im building his str up for a 3k + stoneish that i made. i take few enough hits that the type of merc doesnt really matter.