Jab or Fend?

Dyce

Diabloii.Net Member
Jab or Fend?

Okay, this is probably a noob question, but I can't find it anywhere...

Does Fend only work against a group of monsters? Will it hit one monster several times? Most of the guides I've seen use maxed Jab over Fend - is there a reason for this?

Also, what is the max number of hits per attack with Jab?

Thanks for any help.

Phesto

Diabloii.Net Member
Jab hits 3 times.

People tend to exaggerate the problems with Fend. Pretty much nothing is problematic in PvM, just play wisely and it really doesn't matter.

With Fend, simply don't pump any of the center passive skills.

themachine

Diabloii.Net Member
Fend is only bugged if you choose to use D/A/E skills. I recently made a Spearazon without the d/a/e skills and fend and jab both work perfectly. I dont think it's fend or jab that are bugged - I think its the dodge skills that are bugged.
That being said, I say do as I did and max out both Jab and Fend. Fend is a fast attack vs hoardes of monsters but the first fend attack is slow. When you initially attack with fend it is one slower attack followed by a bunch of fast attacks (depends on how many enemies are in poking range). Jab is 3 very quick uninteruptable attacks that do less dmg each but more overall if all 3 hit. Excellent vs single monsters or even small groups of 2-3. Fend for packs. Make sure you have very high life leech with a spearazon since you wont be using d/a/e and wont be using a shield. Also max Critical Strike and Penetrate. All else into Decoy.

Phesto

Diabloii.Net Member
themachine said:
Fend is only bugged if you choose to use D/A/E skills. I recently made a Spearazon without the d/a/e skills and fend and jab both work perfectly. I dont think it's fend or jab that are bugged - I think its the dodge skills that are bugged.
That being said, I say do as I did and max out both Jab and Fend. Fend is a fast attack vs hoardes of monsters but the first fend attack is slow. When you initially attack with fend it is one slower attack followed by a bunch of fast attacks (depends on how many enemies are in poking range). Jab is 3 very quick uninteruptable attacks that do less dmg each but more overall if all 3 hit. Excellent vs single monsters or even small groups of 2-3. Fend for packs. Make sure you have very high life leech with a spearazon since you wont be using d/a/e and wont be using a shield. Also max Critical Strike and Penetrate. All else into Decoy.
Actual experience is a beautiful thing. Simple yet effective explanation. :thumbsup:

themachine

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought Holy Freeze would be perfect but it wasnt nearly effective as Defiance. Holy Freeze Merc is great for everything you're attacking up close but the archers and ranged attackers rip you apart unless you have a rediculous amout of defence. With Defiance merc my spearazon's def is around 11k. Without him it's only 3k or so. You dont really need Holy Freeze Merc since youre killing (at least I am :) ) in 1 hit, maybe 2, anyway.