Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

jab/fend amazon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by tomersss, Mar 11, 2017.

1. tomersss

tomersss Diabloii.Net Member

hi there!
    i really want to make a fend/jab amazon and i was thinking about the spear:
    i got an eth hone sundan, its not the best ED but its still decent and better than all the garbage spears out there. especially when ill upgrade it to elite version.
    first of all, i really would like to know what you guys suggest for the sockets on it. should i just got 3 shaels? i cannot make BOTD right now so ill have to stick with hone for now i guess. but i would really love to hear some thoughts about another weapon i can use maybe. also any advice on the spearzon would be appreciated :)

2. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

My experience based on low budget vanilla jab/fend amazon I made long ago, so if you going to use RWM/HR equipment you have much greater freedom.

· Armor – I choose 'Treachery' for resists and speed

· Weapons - went with Stoneraven (until fade kicked in and solution for PI's)/Lycander's Flank (wanted to use this spear for once).

Best weapon here (for low budget) IMO is upped 'Kelpie Snare', it allow you to really utilize fend otherwise she is a bit fragile when fending large groups. The weapon choices depend greatly on your mercenary.

· Merc – You would benefit a lot from HF but on the other hand you need the might aura to boost damage. Reaper's Toll or Doom are best for might merc, HF is viable if you use high-damage options yourself (BoTD, Arioc's, Steel Pillar, Fortitude, RW's…)

· Skills – Inner Sight is quite good for low AR, Slow Missile for range attacks, Decoy for meat shield if you skip valk

3. tomersss

well i do not have stone raven but wouldnt it be better to get a defiance merc? that should really boost defenses. and with reapers toll and CB from hone sundan that should really be enough no?

4. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

You won't be able to get high enough defense for low % 'to get hit' also you be running right? so it's much better to focus on damage/slow instead on defence.

Reapers Toll will provide enough safety in most cases, so you can use Hone sundan with it.

5. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure is defiance merc best for any usage at all, not just for this particular build. It seems to me holy freeze is strictly better defensive option than defiance because it offers more protection against physical hits and as a bonus makes all the monsters move slower which does make your job easier to position yourself. Also if you ever move, your defense falls to zero while holy freeze protects you even if you run around.

Also, ninja'd by mir :D

6. Korlic

Korlic Diabloii.Net Member

I think Reapers is a must so you can deal with PI. I guess Enigma for tele and FRW, HF merc is def recommended due to horrible defense. I think one of the evasion skills focuses on when you run/walk. IMO that's still worth having a point or two in even with Fend.

7. tomersss

@Korlic dodge/evade/avoid are a big no no. i heard that they are buggy as hell when used with fend.
    and also, you guys still havent told me what i should socket my hone sundan with :)

8. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

This was my take with a Fendazon. It seems 65IAS was the break point I aimed for, but I'd double-check that. IIRC I found the speed nice.

Laying of Hands being probably the best pair of gloves and High Lord's maybe the best amulet option, that would be only 15IAS left. I would solve that with a Guillaume's Face and a IAS/X jewel for even more damage potential. Fortitude armor all the way if you have it. If not, 'Duress' comes to a mind as a nice candidate.

That leaves all Hone Sundan sockets open for ED jewels, or even Ohms like I did.

That Matriarch thread of mine should cover most that I can say about the matter. But yea, Decoy is really handy with this character, and Inner Sight and Slow Missiles should be used according to the situation. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. tomersss

@Grape thats cool man! however, i dont have nearly all those cool stuff. i cant make wrath as i do not have a ber rune. also i cant even make fortitude yet. well i can but then i wont have many runes left. guess i have to hit the LKs alot..
    also for some odd reason i cant find ANY decent melee belt/amulet. having a real hard time with that. even after ~1000 meph runs.

10. Grape

'Wrath' was more of a "cool" option, for me.

Act 2 merc will still be your best bet, most likely. Might merc with Reaper's is probably what I'd go with.

11. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

@Grape that's a very cool Mat. I found a very nice eth Hone the other day, was thinking about making a 2h Zealot with it but why not go with Fend. ;)

12. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

What about Silence in an Amazon only Spear? Not that much ed% but such juicy mods ...

13. tomersss

hmmm and where will the damage come from? guili+gore/goblin toe? might add duress too but fortitude is just so nice..

14. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Well, it still has 200% ed, and some extra to Undead, so certainly not nothing. Just not 300%+ ed, like other runewords out there.

15. Grape

Thanks. Yea, definitely do a Fendazon with it! There's many other options for Zealots out there :)

16. Korlic

Korlic Diabloii.Net Member

A Silence/Enigma build that relies on CB might not be too bad actually. Some Gloves with 10% CB, Goblin Toe and Guils and you reach 70%. Merc with Reapers and you should be able to kill just about everything. Still at higher player settings she will prolly struggle to kill efficiently.

Forgot Silence has a 25% monster flee, it's terrible on anything but a bow.

17. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

Every time I look at Silence, I'm sad it can't go into an amazon bow.