i've never made a pally, so...

elvenswordman

Diabloii.Net Member
i've never made a pally, so...

... I'd like to get some answers b4 start to make 1...

Most players are building and playing with smite pally nowadays. What does and what does not aplly on smite damage (look list):

- life/mana steal;
- +damage;
- +%damage;
- Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, Critical Strike, Deadly Strike;
- prevent monster heal;
- poison damage, lightning damage, fire damage, cold damage;
- %chance to cast lvl_ (spell);

And whatever mod is important and i didn't remember writting here...

I read some guide of 1 pt. smiter, here in this site, and the guy said that if u spent only 1 pt. on the skill, u can make almost same damage of lvl 20 smite smiters, because the main source of damage was not skill... What is it then?

Ty!

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
- normal Life and Mana steal don't work. Life Tap DOES work
- +dmg like on Grief adds to the Shield damage and Holy Shield bonus, then is multiplied by +dmg%
- off-weapon +dmg%, like on Fortitude Armor will affect smite damage. on-weapon +dmg% (and thus the weapon's damage itself) will not.
- Crushing Blow and Open Wounds will work. Not sure about Critical/Deadly Strike. I don't think so though.
- elemental and magic damage will not add to smite damage.
- CTC on Striking certainly works, that's how pallys eat uber trist with Dracul's Grasp or Exile. CTC on Attack, not quite sure...

The main source of damage of Smite comes from your shield, and the Holy Shield skill's damage bonus, and any +damage from items (life Grief, Astreon's, Redeemer etc.).

1 Smite, 20 Fanaticism, 150 Str = 15% + 373% + 150% = 538%ED
20 Smite, 20 Fanaticism, 150 Str = 300% + 373% + 150% = 823% ED

with a 46-46 damage shield, 20 Holy shield (57-60), +370 Grief

1 Smite, 20 Fanaticism, 150 Str = (473-476)*6.38 = 3017-3036
20 Smite, 20 Fanaticism, 150 Str = (473-476)*9.23 = 4365-4393

There's about 1350 damage difference with the above example, but against a boss it's only a few seconds difference in killing speed. A pure Smiter has serious crowd control issues, whereas a 1pt smite Zealot can breeze through with relative ease. Fanaticism will provide the biggest +damage% bonus in both cases. Crushing Blow will be the biggest damage dealing factor in killing bosses. itude Armor

Criku

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually the usual life and mana steal do work in Nightmare and Hell, the are just reduced - to 50% in Nightmare and to 33% in Hell.

So if you have about 21% total life steal, then in hell it means 7% life steal.

I for example have a 1pt smiter/max zeal paladin, who has 26% life steal from equipment (10% from Draculs gloves, 8% from String belt, 8% from a ring), which means 8,6% life leech in hell (or 8% if the fragments are ignored) - pretty decent and noticable - keeps the char alive until life tap goes off. (5% chance from Draculs means it sometimes don´t go off quickly enough)

And mana leech is nice if you don´t want to find yourself drinking mana pots frequently. So the dual leech rare ring is a nice option here. All the mana leech I have is 4% from my dual leech ring, and it is enough for sure.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Criku said:
Actually the usual life and mana steal do work in Nightmare and Hell, the are just reduced - to 50% in Nightmare and to 33% in Hell.
The OP was asking what works with Smite in particular. Normal life and mana leech do not work with smite.

Criku

Diabloii.Net Member
Eilo Rytyj said:
The OP was asking what works with Smite in particular. Normal life and mana leech do not work with smite.
Oh I misread.. in that case yes, they don´t work.