Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I've Had Enough of Diablo

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Seymour_Fluxx, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Seymour_Fluxx

Seymour_Fluxx IncGamers Member

I've Had Enough of Diablo

After playing this game for about 3 years I've decided to quit. Nothing I do seems to get me intersted in this game..... Well the main reason I've posted this is because I would like to know if there are any other good pc games out there (rpgs/rts games) that you guys play. I would like to look into MMORPG on my ps2, anyone know anything about these?

I know i've only been around a short while and haven't contributed much(or at all) but I wanted to say good-bye. I'll still be lurking and posting in the forum(The SPF is more addicting to the game)

Well goodbye all my fellow UB3R L33T ITAMZ PEEPS!!!!1111ONEONE

2. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Only MMORPG on ps2 I know about is Final Fantasy XI, as for good PC RPGs well there are tons of them from Black Isles (Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 1 & 2). But you can also go the old Super Nes route (ChronoTrigger, FF4 & 6, Secret of Mana 1 & 2) and don't forget about Sacred kinda like D2 but different enough to make it something you might be interested in. Well that's all I can think of right now.

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It's not an MMORPDSHRGMG or whatever that acronym is, but I can't see a thread like this go by without recommending Escape Velocity Nova. I love it. It's cheap and fun and it used to be Mac-only but there's a Windows port now.

4. Seymour_Fluxx

Yeah I downloaded a FF6 Rom, (hey I bought the game for the psone and snes) and I would like to finally beat it (both time my games crapped out before I managed to beat Kefka)

And what platform is Sacred on? I've never heard of it.

5. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Well it's on PC. Yon can get more info on it here www.sacred-fans.net

Not to mention their forums are part of the same network so you can just use the account you already have.

6. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

I understand the RPG in MMORPG, but what does MMO mean? Anyway, going for the RPG on a PS2: there's Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn (or some such) for the PS2, which is really cool :)

7. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

IIRC Mass Multiplayer Option or something like that :uhhuh:

srry to see you go seymour, hope you'll find a new addiction ^^

robin

8. ScarredDefiance

ScarredDefiance IncGamers Member

MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game :wave:

Like UO, Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, Horizon, Star Wars Galaxies.

::Flees back to the realm of lurkness::

9. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Ahhh we have lost another one. But glad to see you will still be posting :)

Actually i am not that into MMORPG on my PS2. I still prefer the Final Fantasy X-2. Pick it up if you haven't done so yet. It have replayability all on its own if you are very interested. Currently in Chapter 4 Finding that guy Tobli :) Hope someone play it too if not i feel really dumb writing that

10. strijdje

haha i was close enough right :lol: hey come back here!

*pulls scarred back into the SPF*

ok, and listen up now, you WILL make an intro thread, and you WILL enjoy it here as a proud member of our forum :clap: you've lurked long enough now and you know you want to become a proud member, so do it now

hehe

robin

11. Duy

Duy IncGamers Member

have you thought about trying out pvp? to me its more of a challenge and i get a lot more satisfaction out of building the character, then just killing monsters...

atm im making a ww sin to destroy strijdje's wind druid.... muahahaha

12. strijdje

haha spoken to select lately? :lol:

well yeah, a good ww sins kinda tears my *** apart i guess, really the only char i have troubles against.. only the very skilled then ^^... well, im rebuilding my windy now and i still need a couple of lvls, even the original is lvl 84 yet, so i still have around 6 skills to spare :)

13. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

Another one bites the dust . . .

Well, good thing most of the leavers still posts alittle.

14. -.kreizi.-

-.kreizi.- IncGamers Member

www.shadowmere.co.uk - nothing fancy, in graphic like, cos its text based. but really interesting, really addictive ......... puuuuh, i play it for 3rd year, well i have drawed back now a little cos of connection problems.

15. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

Good luck on your travels. I can tell you a little about MMORPGs, especially the FFXI and EQ. FFXI is about to be released for PS2, and IIRC EQ is already available for it (though that might be some other game with the EQ "brand name" attached - I wasn't interested so I never checked.)

First of all, given that you've been playing D2 this might not bother you, but most MMO games are designed around the idea that you will be playing for hours at a session, several times a week. Depending on the exact game, the penalty for playing less than fanatically can be minor (all the friends you make outgrow your character so you're basically a loner) to major (the game company defines any character that you haven't worked up to a level that represents 400+ hours of playing it, as "low level" and disposable, no help recovering from bugs, etc.). FFXI is at the "minor" end of that spectrum, with interesting things to do, quests and missions, new character abilities, coming every few levels from the very beginning. Everquest is the source of my definition for "major", as well as offering such joys as waiting in line to kill monsters because they only spawn at specific places with several to many minutes between spawns.

Pretty much all the MMORPGs expect or almost require you to form parties if you want significant exp after the first few levels. In FFXI the change is gradual, becoming noticeable as you get close to the place where your second major class-specific ability starts and severe after you've gotten well into the game with the ability to have a "subjob" and ride a chocobo. Also, even a two-character party (if they are of different classes) can get decent exp without dying a lot if they choose the right hunting areas. In EQ the "party required" curve is very drastic - you gain a couple of levels killing rats then suddenly need to take on things that *will kill* you solo if you want any exp at all. In the other direction, for some reason the party rules in FFXI severely penalize a party with character levels more than one level apart, which is much tighter than most MMOs. EQ's starts hurting at more than about 5 levels, depending on the exact character levels in question.

If you are used to the anarchy of bnet, the anarchy in most MMORPGs will probably not bother you, and you may find FFXI too boring. If you play solo because you hate the people on bnet, you may find that FFXI is the only MMO you don't hate. They've put a lot of effort into designing the game so that players can't f*ck with other players. You can't steal kills, you can't train monsters onto other players except under specific conditions that people can avoid setting up, heck people can even "mute" you so they can't hear your spam or trash talk. Square-Enix has announced they will be bringing in the option for PvP combat, but only in a RvR way and they say that it won't have the harshness of PK. (They haven't published the rules yet.)

16. 6stringspanky

6stringspanky IncGamers Member

the old icewind dale is awesome...you oughta give her a try

17. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Good luck in real life. :)

18. Seymour_Fluxx

Yeah I remember 2 years ago when my dad went shopping for a game for me for easter (yes I get presents for easter) I had a choice between the lastest EQ Games and Xpack (as well as my dad paying the monthly fee) or Diablo 2 LoD. Guess what I chose :)

The reason I am looking at MMORPG's on the Ps2 is b/c my pc is very old and not very powerful (600mhgz, 128 ram, 10 gigs memory) but its strong enough to run Warcraft III (I like the storyline, thats something when it comes to blizz games) and good ol' Diablo II. I will stay around for a few as I want to Pat my Fishymancer, MalGanis-Reborn. He's in Act IV NM right now.

19. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Sorry to see you leave good luck with your new addictions in life whatever it might be

DX

20. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

A couple of games I have been hooked on...

Morrowind. It is an huge game, with two expansions. It is on the PC and Xbox (sorry, not PS2). Check it out at www.elderscrolls.com

Someone mentioned Icewind Dale. It is a good game. I was more hooked on Morrowind, though.

Someone also mentioned Sacred. I have played the demo. It looks cool, but the spin on it is that it's a Diablo clone.

Believe me, Morrowind is a great game. It can take weeks to finish. And it is no Diablo clone. Even the music is cool.

Sorry to see you quite the game, but maybe you'll pick up another good game.