Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I've got the skills i want, but what do i do next?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by dodenbezweerder, May 31, 2005.

1. dodenbezweerder

dodenbezweerder IncGamers Member

I've got the skills i want, but what do i do next?

I'm kind of at a loss on what to do next with my necro. I've never made a necro before, nor did i ever reach much beyond 'normal' mode. Currently i am now at lvl 51 and somewhere in act 3 nightmare mode.

I have 2 +1 necromancer skill items).

I currently have these skills:
    27 Skeleton Mastery (maxed, item boost)
    22 Raise Skeleton (maxed)
    3 Raise Skeleton Mage
    3 Revive
    3 points in each golem
    3 points in golem mastery
    3 points in depcrify
    3 points in attract
    3 points in amplify damage
    4 points in summon resist (2 from an item and 2 from my +skill)
    5 points in corpse explosion (3 from an item and 2 from my +skill)

Through reading these forums, some people prefer to max mages, others to max corpse explosion. Others even say to max the iron golem. But what i am missing is why they choose that.

From my point of view. My 5 points in corpse explosion are sufficient. I can clear out monster packs in quick order. My 3 points in mages give me 3 mages, however they always seem to get caught up in melee range and die rather quickly. I've only used the fire golem, not the iron golem one. So i cannot say much about it.
    Since i am only at act 3 nightmare and have never been in Hell mode. I simply have no idea on what to expect once i get there. So what would be a good path for me to take and why should i take it?

2. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Try dusting off your clay golem. His slow ability is the general favorite and he tends to do fine with plus skills. He's also cheap as dirt to summon (pun fully intended) and makes a great teleportable blocker when enemies come from a direction you aren't prepared for. I don't get the point of maxing out Iron Golems at all (see the stickied FAQ). You already seem happy with Corpse Explosion and I agree with you. More radius is fun, but so are another dozen minions. I've finally decided to make a pure summoner outside of single player and I'm convinced mages is the best route for the extra points if you don't want to make a hybrid build. With Lower Resist, they are a quick and easy way of dealing with total physical immunes.

You could use some better gear but otherwise I'd say you're ready for Hell skillwise. Your only real concerns gearwise are getting more +skills and keeping your resists as high as possible (especially lightning since it goes straight through your skellies). Keep checking the shops. You should start seeing +3 all Summoning wands and the like and if you have cash to spare you can gamble for summoning amus and circlets. Arm of King Leoric is an amazing source of +skills for skeletons and can be had for PGems in most realms AFAIK. In USWest ladder I would expect 10-20 gems for one which isn't that hard to save up once you start MFing NM Baal. Another cheapish option is to host normal Tristram runs until you come across a +3 Raise Skeleton/+? Skeleton Mastery head. You can socket at Larzuk and put Splendor in it for a very nice bonus to skellies in your other hand slot. Even without splendor, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a darkforce or a Homonculus.

3. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

With a pure summoner, I tend to go for more mages. Also, increasing amp and ce doesn't cause more damage, but an increase radius. If I've points to spare, I like to put points in both of these, keeping them about the same radius (can't remember which needs more - sorry). That way, one amp can curse most of the monsters on the screen and ce will make them all jump at the same time :) Speeds things up immensely.

The one point in attract is also useful. Casting this on a monster or two does two cool things - it takes the heat off the skellies and groups the monster nicely together for your amp/ce. Baal's minions go down so fast, it's not funny.

Alternatively, see if you can get Marrowwalks and use the synergy bug. One point in bone armour, some in bone wall, lots in bone spear, NONE in bone prison. This speeds up the two areas that summoners get stuck in, namely chaos sanctuary and maggot lair.

Have fun

DelBoy

4. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

I tend to go for the following:

20 RS
    20 SM
    20 RM
    20 CE

Mages are great against those pesky physical immunes which you cant break with amp, you are bound to run into on hell...
    CE... well I never previously put more than one point into this skill. But now that insane range I get with all 20 points makes it a skill which I can almost clear the entire screen with!!! :D

5. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I have maxed both mages and corpse explosion (layout here). Corpse explosion is a skelemancer's main killing spell --- let the crowd create some corpses, then blow up the rest. Mages provide additional protection and add some damage into the mix (fire/lightning mages) or have other obvious uses (poison and cold mages).

Remember that you can work with about 100 skillpoints (can't reach 110 nowadays, unless there is a Skelemancer-baal-bot) --- mastery, warriors, mages and CE only take up 20, leaving another 20 for the one-point skills. I currently have a bunch of unspent skillpoints left...

6. dodenbezweerder

Thank you for all the quick replies.

You all seem to agree what 'mages' is the best option. However, at the moment i'm not really that proud of my current 3 mages. They seem to die fairly quickly.

Will investing in mages make them stronger? or do they still die fairly quickly?

Thanks in advance.

7. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Well since you get 4 skill points for free pr diff level that will get you to 111 if im not mistaken? Of course that will mean you have to get to level 99.....

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses. (En nog een Nederlander :uhhuh: )

Yes, they will become stronger once you max the skill. They will be able to hold their ground more easily, although they will be slightly less robust than the Warriors.

Nope, 110 is the max. You get 98 skill points from levelling and 12 from quests.

9. dodenbezweerder

Thanx, and yes, another dutchie.

I'll focus a bit more on my mages then with a lower resist point.
    Just out of curiosity, (it's a bit of different topic). I play on the Europe Realm, in non-hardcore, but on Ladder. Now i must admit that i hardly see any other players. Is the Europe Realm kind of empty? or is it because i'm on the Ladder?

Greetz.

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Most of the players here are on US servers. Either East or West. I think East has the majority of people of this board. I know very few people who play on Europe.

11. dodenbezweerder

I figured that.. Playing on your own is getting kind of boring.

I also just read that if i would play on USWest or USEast i would have to start with a new character. Bummer.

12. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

What do you mean, you don't see any other players? If I make a public game it doesn't take long to see other players, but of course I don't make a lot of public games --- mostly when I rush my mules through normal and nightmare, and sometimes I let people join for hell duriel as well (doesn't always make people come, which is at least partly because many bnet players don't understand how quests work in D2) --- but for the most part I want hell to myself, so I get all the drops.

A long time ago I tried to make public hell games --- so I could be somewhere, and other people could be somewhere else, and everyone would be happy --- more exp, more drops, no drop problems. But for the most part it ended up with people demanding "tp" and leaving, or even going by foot to leech exp (I have no problems with that) and steal drops (which I don't like).

Diablo-2 isn't really a good game to play with random parties, so I believe many people are like me --- doing private games.

Of course, the total number of D2 players is decreasing...

13. dodenbezweerder

Well, if i create a game with a name like 'act 3 nightmare'. I can usually play for at least 4 hours before someone joins. Besides, 80% of the people also leave right away.

14. Beneathnoise

Beneathnoise IncGamers Member

Then come to US East. As a forumgoer, you will get some assistance already (i can rush you ladder anytime you need) and games STILL fill up incredibly fast

Just try getting into a trist run, or baal run.. usually it goes from empty to full before you can click the join button.

Also, most people don't play through the game. They rush, and then baal run. rinse repeat

So, if you make a game for act 3 nightmare, nobody is going to join because they've all been rushed and are doing NM baal.

I play through, but only AFTER i've been rushed. good for drops and exp, as you said.

15. The Wikt

The Wikt IncGamers Member

I happen to be stuck on Europe. And, additionally, NonLadder, thus outta reach for ALL, emphasis on the ALL, players here. Even the most EuSc people here are Ladder, and about 1 is NL. Apart from me.

I think my next character will be on USEast...

Edit: Europe tends to be very faulty lately, too. "Realm Disconnected" happens a lot these days.. And once I got HORRID lag in a Cow game.

16. dodenbezweerder

I already did, made myself a new character on US East. To bad i don't have my nifty items anymore.

17. Roar

Roar IncGamers Member

i play a skelliemancer on europe ladder, i always play with a friend (who iscurrently playing a Zealot, man do i loveeee fantascism! ) anyway i play untwinked and my gear is like this:

Tarnhelm
    Trangarmor (very cheap)
    Sander gloves &boots
    Sigon Shield
    Plated belt (lol)
    Ume's Lament (+2 necro +3 dec)

i''m lv 52 now and i maxed skellie and maserty, have 1 point in revive,amplify decrepfy gumbie, golem mastery and Summon resist, and im currently maxing CE, CE IS a great spell if you play alone or with 1 or 2 friends, it gets less effective when more players join (but thats with every skill) and we didnt stumple on any real problems (only NM izual, souls killed me 2 time caus eof my crappy resists) i suggest you do the same, i'm going to try get a marrowwalk and then dump the rest in bone wall, also a Arm of King Leoric is high on my wanted list

18. dodenbezweerder

I beat izual yesterday, but didn't find him much of a fight. I belive i lost my clay golem once, but that is pretty much it.

I currently have an Undead Crown with a Topaz in it. A rare wand which gives me 1+ necro skills. And i walk around with an extra head instead of a shield, which also gives me +1 necro skills. It's kind of funny to see you walking around holding a head.

19. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

I am making a commandomancer on US-East right now, and when I am done using my low level summoning gear (peasant crown, gravespine,trang armor, carin shard) I can give you some gear. Please let me know if you play on ladder or non-ladder.

If you play on non-ladder, /w *Coltonpence

20. dodenbezweerder

Thanks, i'm playing on ladder though.