Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I've been banned from bnet forums soley out of spite

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Highlen, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Highlen

Highlen Diabloii.Net Member

I've been banned from bnet forums soley out of spite

I mean "solely"

On the diablo 3 battle.net forums I belive I was banned well just my LOD cdkey was banned from posting. Some one made a thread about the new artwork being posted on facebook and the artwork of that week was the hydra concept art

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27800559976&sid=3000

I made a comment "Looks like blizz is starting to take stuff out of the trash bin".
    because it just looked like a pencil sketch instead of full blown concept art to me.

Anyway next thing I know my comment is gone expect for the few post that quoted me. My cdkey is banned from posting I can use vanila cdkey to post but there reasons for banning as listed "other" so if I got banned for "other" and not trolling or insulting posters that means I got banned solely on the Mod/CM discretion other words whoever banned me did it out of spite becuase of the comment I said.

I thought blizzard hired grown men and women not kids that get angry when they think someone is critzing them when it was just a silly harmless comment.

O well I never been banned befor out of spite:smug:.

2. Farmrush

Farmrush Diabloii.Net Member

Re: I've been banned from bnet forums soley out of spite

It doesn't seem like it was done out of spite. Or, at least, there is no way to prove that conclusively. I am not sure what Blizzard's rules on posting are, but it's understandable if they want to keep pointless negative comments off their boards. Perhaps you should spend more time reflecting on your ban, than posting here in an attempt to salvage your ego.

3. treader

treader Diabloii.Net Member

Yes sadly the Hydra one looked like something they draw while eating a sandwich during lunch. I mean come on, at least give something for the effort people make in supporting your "1 million likes" campaign, Blizzard.

Also worth noting the fact that the previous Tristram Cathedral art was something already obtainable on the internet if you looked hard enough. Even the fan made arts are better then these official ones.

There is tons of way to release artwork. You could add your own comments in or some description of its history. Or make it funny like the one Bashiok edited adding in a unicorn spraying some skill in a dungeon. Or they could release it in a form that is telling a story gradually by each release.

But they went the old boring way of just posting anything they find in a public shared folder from the looks of it.

4. AxeX

AxeX Diabloii.Net Member

Even if it was, does it really matter? Concept art is just that, a concept. An idea that an artist had. It doesn't need to be fully fleshed out, it just needs to represent what the artist was thinking about. The whole point of them showing us concept artwork is to give us insight into the creative process that goes on over there.

Also, while you'll probably never know why you were banned, you should probably stop making comments like that anyways.

5. treader

Then release those which are more fully fleshed out. Surely the Hydra concept didnt just use this concept art and made it into the game just like that.

I dont blame the artist but on the guy who released this art to us. To me it feels like he is just releasing things nowadays just for the sake of doing his job. Look at the earlier concept arts released, they were a lot better.

6. AxeX

AxeX Diabloii.Net Member

We have no idea what the selection process is for which artwork goes up. I doubt its just some random guy going "heh that'll do". Also, we're few among many. Sure you may want the fully fleshed out artwork, but maybe others aren't so nit picky?

Also, I just took a second look at the artwork, and while doing so I also noticed the treasure seeker artwork, which looks to be of same quality and detail as the hydra one. Yet I've not heard one peep about that.

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the B.net forums become a lot less free-spirited. Bliz is continually tightening up their community support, providing most of their own content, only linking to or partnering with fawnsites, etc.

Bashiok has been quite tolerant of dissent thus far on the D3 forums, because he's a fairly lenient guy, and because he's got a lot of other job duties so he doesn't have time to read every post or get into the quagmire that banning and admining can be. As D3 gets closer to release though, and Bliz assigns more CMs to the game and they start to patrol their forums more closely, I think we'll see a lot of people getting banned or blocked for linking out to sites Bliz doesn't like, or for making arguments or comments that haven't been policed thus far.

It's sad, but Blizzard PR does a lot of things out of spite, and because of behind the scenes business partnerships, etc. Bliz has partnerships with media companies, those affect which sites they favor on other games, etc. It's a fairly ugly situation, behind the scenes.

That said, making snarky remarks about the quality of the artwork they're releasing is pretty much asking for it, eh? It's not like you were trying to add something constructive to the conversation and it just got misinterpreted.

Also, while I didn't exactly rush to set that Hydra sketch to my desktop background, I don't mind if they release a variety of types of art. Everything can't be a full color masterpiece, and sometimes it's interesting to see how the earliest versions looked, before they were refined to game-quality.

8. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

According to one of the posts apparently after yours, it looks like that's not the first time you've gotten in trouble. If they feel you're just a habitual trouble-maker/flamer, that may explain it. I'm not saying it's right, but it *is* their right.

As far as people complaining about the quality of that artwork, you are obviously not visual artists yourselves. See, to people who actually begin with nothing and create wondrous things, seeing how an idea began compared to what it turned into can actually be very fascinating, inspiring, and/or informational. It's kinda like being a fly on the wall witnessing professionals in action.

9. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

To the OP - Don't post blatantly negative messages. If you do, at least explain your position. They can "spitefully" ban at their discretion.

In all honesty, we should be happy that we get any whatsoever. It's not in their company mission to give fans fully fleshed concept art. Given their patterns with their other franchises, they continually release concept art at intervals. You will get pieces that range all over the development continuum. A half-finished piece can convey as much information as a fully developed piece.

10. treader

If you are in charge of a campaign that asked us to recruit people and basically do some free advertising for you, shouldnt you be more responsible in providing a better reward?

Looking at the hydra sketch, honestly if that picture was not released by Blizzard and it was just some random picture you found off the net. What would be your reaction to it? It is not that we dont appreciate art(not that I do) but this campaign effort seems to be going on a back pedal.

Either they ran out of concept arts or they are not making an effort to show their eagerness as when they first started this campaign. Anyhow I rest my case, just hoping that D3 beta comes out soon to ease this restlessness among the fans.

PS: I did find the treasure seeker artwork a bit wanting but didnt voice it out since it was the first. But if this continues for the next 12 releases, I wouldnt be bothered to find any friends for the campaign.

11. AxeX

AxeX Diabloii.Net Member

They didn't release both the treasure seeker and hydra concepts back to back. They released the monk screenshot inbetween. Granted they could space it out a bit, but don't be too worried that this is all you'll get for awhile now. Hell going back even further, it looks like they're trying to mix up the content so its a little different every week or so.

12. Batang

Batang Diabloii.Net Member

Based on other replies to that thread, it looks like it wasn't the first time you were flaming on the bnet forums. Also, like someone else already said, if you're going to criticize the work of others and want them to listen to you, the least you should do is to add something constructive to the discussion as well. You are of course allowed to state your opinions, but pointless negativity isn't going to lead to anyone taking you seriously. Bottom line, maybe you should think of more constructive ways to use your time?

13. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I guess OP just learned the difference between criticism and constructive criticism.

14. zeroinfinity

zeroinfinity Diabloii.Net Member

Pretty much sums it up. :coffee:

15. sohcan

sohcan Diabloii.Net Member

I think there is a disconnect on the part of the fans these days as they watch games being made. As fans we now get an unprecedented amount of access to things before they are released. We get to see things, such as concept art, that aren't polished and release quality. We get to see them go from idea to final product.

The disconnect is that people, especially on the internetz, think access to this sort of thing is a right, and they start making demands they have no right to make. To fix that disconnect maybe the next time you think concept art is not up to par you should first make sure you even understand what it is.

"Concept art is a form of illustration where the main goal is to convey a visual representation of a design, idea, and/or mood for use in films, video games, animation, or comic books before it is put into the final product." - according to wikipedia

It isn't a finished piece. Getting cranky about concept art being subpar is akin to complaining that alpha software isn't as stable as software that has been released as a final product.

Also the original poster, and a lot of posters on blizzard sites, seem to confuse two words on a regular basis:

right

and

privilege

A right is something you are entitled to that cannot be taken away, a privilege is special permission that can be revoked for any number of reasons, including bad behaviour. In a democratic society voting is a right, and driving is a privilege.

Any access Blizzard gives you is solely a privilege, and maybe if players treated it as such they wouldn't get into these types of situations. The only right in this situation is that Blizzard, as the owner of said forums, has the right to remove the privilege of posting there for folks who insist on not being nice or playing by the rules they have established.

Then again this is the internet and everyone thinks they are special and can behave however they want.

"Your access to these forums is a “privilege,†and not a “right.†Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to suspend your access to these forums at any time for reasons that include, but are not necessarily limited to, your failure to abide by these guidelines." - Bashiok ( http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=10697505054&sid=3000 <--- rules for bnet d3 forums )

Well fancy that, it seems Blizzard views it the same way I do. ;)

16. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

Or is that DESTRUCTIVE criticism amirite?

/ducks

17. palwe

palwe Diabloii.Net Member

"Looks like blizz is starting to take stuff out of the trash bin"

they banned you out of spite?

i think what really happened is.. they banned you for a spiteful comment.

18. treader

They release one concept art and one screenshot each batch of 25k likes.
    In other words they did release it back to back so to say.

19. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Treader, I think what he means by "in between" is that there's a 25K mark, and you get one (IDK, so let's say treasure seeker). Then, they hit 50K, and we get the monk. Then comes 75K, and the hydra comes. They aren't back-to-back, they're separated.

20. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Looks more like concept art for bones teeth spikes and horns and more bones teeth spikes and horns and even some more bones teeth spikes and horns.

I just imagined them to be yawning at how unimaginary they are.