Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Itunes... why does it have to be such a bad program

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by oscarmk1, Sep 22, 2006.

1. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Itunes... why does it have to be such a bad program

Hi,

So... i bought an ipod nano about 4 months ago, and i had to install this very bad programmed itunes into my computer unfortunatelly... Anyway just so you know my laptop has 2 ghz, 1 gb ram and 80 gigas. So the program runs kinda ok, but once every so often it throws this unhandled exception out of nowhere and closes itself, not that much of a big deal to me (even though it really sucks).

So about 1 month ago the stupid program keeps bugging me every single time that it wants to be updated, knowing that the update would be worst, i decided not to, but meh yesterday i decided ok lets update this crap, so i update it, i install it succesfully, and i play a song, the quality at which the song was been played made me want to cry, so i use system restore(which i also hate a lot now), and restore to 1 day before this, so naturally i have the old itunes there now, however because windows and their "system restore" is also really bad, apparently it screwed something up, and i try opening the old itunes (which kinda works), and i get this UNKNOWN ERROR -200 (thank you itunes!!).

So..., i do system restore again (which is a completely reversible thing yeah right.... retarded windows), so i have my itunes again the new one that doesn't work, i try to open it and guess what yeah i saw it coming UNKNOWN ERROR - 200 yes thank you!!. So i delete the stupid program, the folders, and i'm forced to download the new version (since i need it to update my ipod at least, i of course won't use that crap anymore to play music), i install it again and yeah of course same error.

So in conclusion i blame itunes, but also microsoft and their stupid system restore.... Also if someone has any ideas as to what i could do to have itunes again (that doesn't include reinstalling windows i know that will work...), please help me out. Thank you.
    -Oscar

2. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

What exactly is itunes? And what does it do? Is it a necessity for owning an ipod?

3. oscarmk1

itunes is the program you use to update your ipod, so yes its necessary unfortunatelly...

4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Never had any problems with iTunes.
    You do mention playing music with iTunes, which isn't necessary if you only need/want it to put stuff into your iPod.

5. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

I've never had an issue with iTunes myself. I've always found the interface to be pretty user friendly and the quality of songs I've downloaded from the site has been great.

Sorry to hear you haven't had the same type of experience.

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I've never had a problem with iTunes. It's one of the easiest and most straightforward programs out there.

7. oscarmk1

Yeah while some people think itunes is the best, i've heard for some other people it's the worst ever...

8. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Those that think it's bad are inferior beings and deserve to be ridiculed. They probably drive Fords as well

9. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

Hey!!! Ski forces me to drive a Ford! Some of us have no choice and we shouldn't be looked down upon for it!!! *sniff*

10. GrimAngelNamu

GrimAngelNamu Banned

*sighs* Haha, you nubs and your non drag and drop updating. Seriously man. The file conversions freaking suck.

11. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

I'll never cross paths with Itunes.

-D2netDad

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I hate programs that auto-update. Firefox does it to me occasionally and I want to punch the monitor. If I want to update I'll bloody well update, you little bastard.

I can't get iTunes, it's not compatible with Win98. Losers. I mean, Win98 can do anything XP can (especially a simple bloody task like play music), they're just being dicks.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It doesn't auto-update. It's been asking me if I want to update for quite a while now. And I still haven't checked the "don't ask again" box.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, nagging you for updates is almost as bad.

By the way, does anyone know if I can somehow get iTunes to install despite its objections about Win98? Mac is bundling Quicktime with it now and Firefox wants a Quicktime plugin from me to play streaming audio.

15. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

16. oscarmk1

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Windows 98 and XP using entirely different APIs and kernels. Seeing as you are the only person on the planet who hasn't stopped using 98 Apple didn't see it profitable to rewrite an entire program from scratch just for you.

OP: I've never heard of your problems and wish I could help, I guess a full uninstall of iTunes and then reinstalling it would help. I'm betting on a corrupt files somewhere.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Actually there's a thriving 98 community, geniune Win98 discs can go for a fortune on eBay.

I don't get it though, just about every program written for XP works on 98. In fact there have only been one or two that haven't, and that was just because the installer wouldn't let me progress. I think they just don't want to have to run support for it.

19. rare

rare IncGamers Member

you can go here if youre still interested in fixing itunes:
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

id use that thing mh12 said, but i am too busy to figure out why the stop/play/etc buttons on my keyboard wont work with winamp, just with win media player... meh.

20. rare

rare IncGamers Member

the only reason i hate 98 is that it looks old, and as far as the tech support i do it is HORRIBLE compared to win XP (and that's really saying something).

if something goes wrong in XP, there's a few ways to get it back up and working. most of the time if something goes wrong in 98, we give you the phone number to Microsoft so you can go yell to them. ;P