Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"It's Showtime!" - new upgrades to the apple ipod and itunes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mhl12, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

"It's Showtime!" - new upgrades to the apple ipod and itunes

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/12/live-from-the-steve-jobs-keynote-its-showtime/#c2084540
    ^warning for 56k users, lots of pics and blog comments

so a basic summary:
    So as you probably have seen from the link, the major change is the ipod shuffle. I totally wasn't expecting a redesign, but alas, it's smaller! Also you can see some ipod mini resemblance in the nanos and their curved sides. The 60 gig ipod has been replaced with a cheaper 80 gig to fit the new itunes movie store. (but no full screen ipod.. booooo :( ) And finally of course, huge battery life improvements for the 80 gig ipod and the nanos.

one thing i hate about apple is that they constantly release new upgrades to their products making the previous buyers feel like idiots for having the older products (such as the ipod mini). But I can't blame them that much since it's just a marketing technique and that's probably why I haven't bought an ipod yet.

i might consider getting one next year but who knows.. any thoughts, comments?

2. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

You have got to be kidding me... I just bought a 1GB iPod Nano for $150 two weeks ago. I guess I should have researched first. :embarassed:

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having an inch smaller mp3 player. Am I the only one who doesn't like all this minaturization? How about we stop making phones so small that it's uncomfortable to talk into them/listen to?

4. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

The iTv impresses me much more than iPods do.

Unless you have a Mac, I wouldn't get an iPod, because you have to sell out completely to iTunes and its format.

I have a 1GB Samsung YP-T7JZ media player, and I love it. It has more than enough memory for what I need.

However, if you're into video, podcasts, and lots and lots of photos, then iPods are pretty cool.

Creative also makes pretty good media players too. My brothers each own one, 30gb and 40gb respectively.

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I can understand not liking iTunes, but what's wrong with MP3?

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Instead of selling out to Microsoft's format and stores with less songs?

And why does having a Mac matter? Other stores work with OS X and a lot of players do too.

There are also other programs to get songs onto an iPod, but I don't see why you'd want them. . .iTunes makes it about as easy as possible.

iTV is awesome, can't wait. Must. Have. NOW!

7. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I hate Microsoft...

I don't hate Apple, but I really don't like iPods. I don't like the interface at all, and I honestly think that one is more constricted with an iPod than with a media player for a PC.

Having said that, I don't use any subscription music services, so by no means do I know it all.

8. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

That's what I don't like...taking all the time to reformat my music to iTunes format. And iTunes are mp3? I thought they were something else...

9. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The default format is AAC, but you can set the software to rip your CDs as .mp3 instead. The songs bought from the store are protected AAC files, but there's no requirement to use the store.

If you're big into WMA for some reason then you're out of luck.

10. hacchantal

hacchantal IncGamers Member

Grrrr..... I just got an Ipod nano :\ and I didn't have any idea they had "30 GB" one's out! Pieces of crap, I ended up getting a 2 GB. Not that I would use it all anyway... but still. Oh well.. it beats the 'ol discmen. lol

Only thing I don't like is that the battery power goes by quickly.

11. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I was looking for a new mobile phone in late July and came across an interesting one. I don't know if it has been released here yet (I think it was due sometime in September), but it was an iTunes phone. Not a phone that plays mp3s but an actual iTunes phone.

EDIT: Motorola ROKR seems to be the one released.

12. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

Hrm...

The iTV bit has been done before, though not having a power brick would be nice even though it seems unlikely. Still, for those people with Mac's comming out of their ears it should be a welcome addition.

Changes to the standard iPod and Nano are interesting, and would meet with my approval in the form of buying one as and when my 3rd Gen iPod meets its maker. The Shuffle always seemed like too much of a gimmick for my money, I'd just rather get one with a display thanks very much.

Finally, nice to seem come love for Internation iTunes customers in 2007 (even though we'll be stung by yet another round of rip-off Britain aswell as 8 month + delays for proggies). Why more wasn't done to push it ahead sooner I'll never know.

13. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

you didn't know that they had 30 gig ipod videos out when you bought the old nano? They both came out the same time...

Also, the new nano has a pretty big battery life improvement.. claiming to last up to 24 hours. That pretty much matches my creative zen touch.

14. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I've been waiting for the 80GB model for months. Now I just need to find someone to buy my 40GB to cover some of the cost.

15. hacchantal

hacchantal IncGamers Member

Living in a small city - words don't get around much about that sorta thing. Oh well, I'm happy with my Ipod anyway. I haven't even used the 2 GB that I have.