It's Hypothetical Situation Time!

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
What's the dillema? You are college aged and you expect life to be fair? Welcome to the real world where strings are pulled and things happen through connections. Whether or not you're happy about it. heh

-D2netDad
Ok, threads over, Dad wins again.

Thelioness

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, AJ, it does have creepy undertones. Unless the discrimination actually violated school code, which hopefully the professor is savvy enough to avoid, or they can prove that they were discriminated against based on being part of a protected group, I doubt that they would have any grounds for legal action. Some discrimination is perfectly legal, even if it isn't moral.

I thought it was normal for professors to let in certain students. I know of a few cases where a professor kicked a student out because 'he doesn't work hard enough'.

In the end the professor probably has the right to do it. In real life not everyone gets everything they deserve.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Carla claims that, even though there is an active waiting list of people trying to get into this seminar, and Kate is currently SECOND on this list, it would be OK for Prof X to have his class expanded to include one extra student and then have that one extra student be Kate. After that, the waitlist process would continue as normal.
This is what bugged me. I think there are 2 ways to add people to classes, generally. 1) Registrar tells the prof they need to expand the class and says she is freeing up 20 more seats. Those seats go to the top 20 people on the waiting list. 2) Professor tells registrar they are comfortable with the addition of one more person because the professor personally knows that student.

Process 1 can't be used to add Katie and not the other student, but process 2 can.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
It's common for professors to allow students into certain classes on a case by case basis.

What's the dillema? You are college aged and you expect life to be fair? Welcome to the real world where strings are pulled and things happen through connections. Whether or not you're happy about it. heh

-D2netDad
Well, it isn't that I'm unhappy about it (Katie is my friend and if she's happy then more power to her) and it isn't like I'm clueless about the fact that life isn't fair. I was just trying to be unbiased and argue that allowing Katie in over #1 would indeed be unfair, and my friend disagreed. But my friend (Carla, the argumentative one) also has an almost creepy relationship with this professor and so she's probably having a hard time thinking about the situation in an unbiased manner.

And yeah, Katie could've avoided this entire situation if she had just realized the registration started on the 16th and not the 17th :rolleyes:

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
Why didn't Katie actually sign up on the first day of registration if she wanted this class so much?
Rob answered this, but in the UC system, you get assigned a registration date. And if it happens to be a late date, you're ****ed. For winter quarter, registration started November first- my registration date is the 15th at 3:40 PM. I feel sorry for the guys who got anywhere near the 30th for their registration date, although even I think I won't be able to get into the classes I want at this point.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Mod, I'd bet registration goes by seniority. The more hours you've earned, the earlier your registration date. And there's probably some way for those close to graduation to get what they need to graduate.

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
Mod, I'd bet registration goes by seniority. The more hours you've earned, the earlier your registration date. And there's probably some way for those close to graduation to get what they need to graduate.
Maybe, although the freshman sitting next to me in math class got a November 1 registration date.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd say it's unethical. Seems pretty open-and-closed to me.

P.S. What is this list based on? Order of application?

immoral(amoral?)/unethical
Immoral means "morally bad", amoral means neither moral nor immoral. Although unethical would probably be the right choice in this context.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Maybe, although the freshman sitting next to me in math class got a November 1 registration date.
Athlete? There are a couple kinks in the seniority thing. I think athletes, and maybe folks with certain disabilities get priority.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Athlete? There are a couple kinks in the seniority thing. I think athletes, and maybe folks with certain disabilities get priority.
Yeah, the football players gotta sign up for those Underwater Basketweaving classes before they fill up!