Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

It's Hypothetical Situation Time!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LonghornRob, Nov 7, 2006.

1. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

It's Hypothetical Situation Time!

My friend, Carla, and I got into a bit of an argument over this earlier today, and I still think I'm right and she's wrong. Here's how it goes:

A very awesome professor, let's say professor X, is teaching a senior seminar class in English next semester and a mutual friend of ours, let's say Kate, was thrilled about taking the class. She has (and so have I, and my argumentative friend) taken X's courses on more than one occasion and enjoyed each of them. She actually was the determining factor in his deciding to teach the senior seminar at all (or so the legend goes). Anyway I think you know where this is going, she signed up a day after they opened up for registration and the course was already completely full.

So Kate was devastated, but X still thinks he can get her in, and this is where my friend and I disagree, and the uh, hypotheticalness, begins. Carla claims that, even though there is an active waiting list of people trying to get into this seminar, and Kate is currently SECOND on this list, it would be OK for Prof X to have his class expanded to include one extra student and then have that one extra student be Kate. After that, the waitlist process would continue as normal.

I believe this would be completely unfair to the person who is 1st on that list. If the class is expanded by one, then the person at the top of the list should get in and not the person that Prof X wants. If he could pull this off it would obviously be favoritism and highly immoral(amoral?)/unethical whatever. She contends that even though Kate would now be in the class, the waitlist process would still work as normal: If someone drops the course then whoever is 1st on the list would still get in just like before. I countered that if I were first in the waitlist line and see the class expanded by one, and THEN see that the person behind me got in and not me, I would be fairly unhappy. She said there's no way the person at the top of the list would ever realize that'd happen and so he/she wouldn't be affected by it, and yadda yadda the argument ended in two loud sighs and a stalemate.

So, which side do you agree with?

2. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

I'm with you, but no one cares, so, yeah. You lose. -_-'

3. LonghornRob

No one cares about this situation or no one cares about ethics and morals these days?

4. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Neither. Go back to the bar and forget about it.

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The person who gets into the class should be the one who the professor decides is better at *cough* foot massages in his office after the janitors go home.

6. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

He goes to the University of Texas, not Berkeley!

7. Module88

Don't get me wrong, I do, but what am I going to do about it? You're in the right here, but you're trying to argue with a girl. You're ****ed.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Sorry, "foot massages involving a steer" then.

9. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

They give foot massages at Berkeley? :)

10. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy IncGamers Member

Yes, it would be unfair for the person that is 1st on the waitlist, but anyone who was below Kate moves up a spot. And I think that pretty much balances things out. Unless, of course, the person that is 1st on the waitlist is me.

11. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i agree, but if you are 100% right (and have proof) and she is 100% wrong, when your arguing, you will still be the looser in the end because she will do one or more of the following: 1) kick your *** 2) yell and scream trying to prove her point until your ears are bleading 3) kick you out 4) refuse to agree with you
    its best to quit while your ahead and just agree with her :wink3:

12. Module88

No, don't agree with her. Stick up for yourself. If she's the kind of person that thinks that is fair, then maybe she's not worth having as a friend. "No one will know so it's ok"? Gee, that says a lot about her.

13. LonghornRob

Yeah she did pretty much turn into a brick wall at the end, refusing to consider what I was telling her. It made me feel good, though, knowing that I had won the argument.

14. Module88

Savor it. It doesn't happen often. :smiley:

15. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Heh, know your professor, know your department secretary, and they'll get you into anything you want, regardless of waiting list, class size, end of story.
    So if she did indeed convince professor X to teach the class, then she probably knows the professor fairly well, she'd get in.

16. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Yes, it would be immoral to spurn the established list in favor of getting a particular student into the class. If it could be established that Kate had some special need to be in the class that #1 on the list doesn't it might be defensible. Otherwise it's pure favouristism and obviously wrong. Anyone who disagrees with that has some funny ideas about ethics.

17. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

If she was the reason for this teacher teaching the class, then how would everyone feel if the professor decided to cancel teaching the class because he no longer had a reason to do it?

Would it be fair to the person who is number one on the wait list to allow Katie in? Nope. Welcome to life. It isn't fair, and it doesn't care about your feelings.

Why didn't Katie actually sign up on the first day of registration if she wanted this class so much?

18. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Tell her to try and talk the prof into letting the top 2 in?

Oh, and I'm sigging Mod...

19. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I wouldn't want to be in a class where the professor was teaching just because he thought he'd attract a certain student. Disregarding the creepy undertones, I wouldn't want that kind of bias. Or did Katie just convince the prof that teaching the class would be a good idea?

I could see a whole sort of problems where the skipped person (and yes, there is a decent chance they'd know) could claim some sort of discrimination.

20. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

It's common for professors to allow students into certain classes on a case by case basis.

What's the dillema? You are college aged and you expect life to be fair? Welcome to the real world where strings are pulled and things happen through connections. Whether or not you're happy about it. heh

-D2netDad