Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Its getting to be that time of year again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Nov 14, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Its getting to be that time of year again

Time for my usual donation type thread.

I was in a cleaning mode today and it struck me that I have not given like I have in the past. Of course in my current situation, I am the one who needs the donations.

I packed up all my pants that fall down and all of Sam's clothes that are too small. I have tons of toys to bag up and send as well.

Homeless shelters and battered womens shelters always accept decent items. If you are so inclined to do a bit of cleaning, instead of tossing the stuff in the trash donate it to a shelter.

Everyone goes through hard times and every little bit helps.

I am still going to try to fit some bell ringing into my schedule for this season.

2. kobold

kobold Banned

Donating items you don't have a use for is always the way to go. :cool:

Not knowing the tax system in the states, Zodi, can you get receipts from places you donate things to? For instance, a charitable organization up here (Canada) can issue a donation receipt for goods received (I've never asked for donations of clothing, but it's easy enough to get them for food), which can then be used on your tax return. Win-win.

3. zodiac66

Actually, I have never claimed any donations on my taxes. I know how hard life can be so that is why I donate. It just never crossed my mind to get a dedutction for helping people out. I am not saying it is bad if you do..it just was not in my mind to do so.

I do not donate goods to such agencies as Goodwill and Salvation Army. I know the resell the goods and that helps people. I tend to donate to places that can use the goods NOW.

It is getting colder now. A blanket that is not used by you could be used by someone who has no home. A coat that has been in a closet for years can be used by someone NOW. I am not saying not to give to Goodwill or Salvation Army (hell, I am a bell ringer), but wash them up and give them to shelters.

If you are so inclined on Thanksgiving..donate some time. Shelters can always use a hand for the dinner.

Just trying to put a little spark in the minds of others. It doesn't matter if you know who it goes to..or if you get a tax receipt...it matters that you helped a fellow human out and that is what matters.

It is probably hard for quite a few people to understand loosing everything..going to a shelter because you have lost everything or going to a shelter because your significant other beat the **** out of you and your kids.

Think of them when you want to clean.

I should get off my soapbox. If I didn't have the "luxury" of living with my mom and dad, I would be there. I know what it is like to be dirt poor. That is why I try to give back as much as I can...even if it is only my time.

4. kobold

kobold Banned

Do you ever donate to a registered charity?

As I mentioned, I don't know if you can deduct donations in a similar way to us. Just thinking that every little bit helps.

5. zodiac66

I donate my time to a registered charity.

The point is..get out there and help people who are not as lucky as you. Man, with the charisma that is abundant here...you all could make a difference. I try and I am probably the pissed poorest person here after kiddie expenses. Funny, I won't take charity. I will find a way. There are others who can't.

If you have 10 bucks in your pocket..get a toy and put it in the toys for tots box. If you are in a church..donate to a needy family fo the holidays.

I know that no one really cares. I just try to put a little spark into at least one mind.

6. kobold

kobold Banned

Zodi, I agree with you completely. I do try to make a difference in my community. I have also been there, doing some interesting juggling to make ends meet.

I am not going to cite examples, this isn't supposed to be some sort of contest.

I guess where I'm having problems is that I can't tell if this:
    is sarcastic or not :undecided:

7. zodiac66

Not at all. There are so many sweet talking people here that could use that skill to make a difference instead of a post count.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

That's what I usually do with my old clothes, I can't bring myself to throw stuff like that away. So I'm motivated more by being an instinctive cheap-arse than by charity...

9. zodiac66

In all honesty..when you donate to a "charity" such as Goodwill, I do have to wonder where the money is going. Sure, they wash and sell the items..but how much of the proceeds are helping people?

Everyone of you can find at least one thing that you can donate to a shelter. Those are the people who need it most. If you don't have items..donate time..any time, not just holidays.

You think you are piss poor..give time, its free. Go to a shelter and hear some of the stories. Perhaps I am naive, but I do tend to try to see the best in people.

So..get off your asses and do something for someone. A sweater, a coat, a toy..its all appreciated, tax deduction or not.

Everyone here can give something..either time or items.

10. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I'm much the same way, even though I'm well below the poverty line, I wouldn't accept charity - I'm actually dreading Christmas, for various reasons. I don't mind small things (I get two pairs of pants and a pack of black socks every year from my parents, it's awesome), but I have reason to be concerned.

Anyway - if I had the time, I'd do some volunteering.. unfortunately I run 14 hour days during the week, and 9-10 on the weekend. It's killer. It's made even worse by the homeless here in Toronto - you've been here, Zodi, you know how bad it can be sometimes. And not all of them are legitimately homeless. Makes it difficult to want to give, when you know some of them are driving BMW's home (No kidding, it was in the news a couple years back) at the end of the day. I can't bring myself to give something to someone when there's a good chance that they're actually making a better living than I am.

However, when I do need to throw out old clothes, I do make sure they end up in a donation box. It may not be the best thing, I don't like the structure of Goodwill, but still... it's better than letting them go to waste. A couple months back I took all of the clothing my ex left here (she's been gone for a year and a half and I spoke with her about it first, so she wouldn't freak out) and passed it along. Hopefully someone can get a use out of it.

::Edit:: by the way, I agree completely about the charisma of the OTF. If we were ever to find a cause that we could unite the OTF over, then I have no doubt that there's precious little that could stop us. :thumbsup:

11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Last year I finally got rid of all my old stuff. This has been a lean year for donations from me. Next year I think I'll donate some architectural services to Habitat for Humanity. That on top of the charitable work the lodge will be doing.

12. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

I've been on an organizing binge for the last week or so and I ended up with a couple of big boxes of stuff to donate.

13. zodiac66

That is so awesome!!

Come on you OTFers...dig in your closets and help out. Most semesters will be over soon..give some time.

I know you all have stuff you don't need or wear and most can spend a little time.

Get off your computers and do something. You never know when you will be in the same boat.

14. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Not all of us. I really don't have anything left to donate. It took several years to finally winnow everything down but it's been done.

15. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Heh, barring furniture and books, I can fit everything I own into my car. I don't think I have anything to donate, except time.

16. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

my grandma always makes me go through my clothes.
    she does it often enough that i dont have many things to donate anymore, lol.

but yeah, I'll definitly give it another go, and see what i dont wear/doesnt fit.

17. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

At Goodwill, more than 82 percent of our revenues are used to fund our employment and training programs.

According to the Army's 2004 annual report, approximately $0.83 of each dollar spent by The Salvation Army is used to fund direct services for people.

A lot of the larger charities that take household goods will come to you if you have a sizable donation. So if you can't make it to them for what ever reason, you might see about having them come to you.

18. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I'm the same way with throwing stuff out. If <item> has any use able life left in it, I'd rather donate it than have it go to waste.

19. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I generally wear out clothing so there is not much point of donating that.

I am pretty generous with my time year round though (too much at times it seems). :scratch:

20. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi,

After recently returning from India where I saw true poverty that broke my heart, I'm affraid I have very little sympathy for the "homeless" people in Denmark. Why you ask ?

Well, no one is this country is truely homeless unless they choose to be. With personal income tax starting at 50% and going up, the Government can currently afford to (and does) spend massive amounts on the less well of. There are what you call shelters, but they are more like hostels for people who need them, along with kitchens providing food. The few true street people, are those who for whatever reason can not stand any sort of authority organising their lives. They refuse to use the available shelters. Even though we have sub zero winters here, I have never heard of a case of any homeless person dying of cold. The welfare system here works.

Also the homeless and beggers in this country often use any money they get to spent it on booze. I had no problems donating money in India to people who lived on the cities footpaths as I knew it would be used to buy food for them and their children, but damned if I'm going to give my hard earned money (the half that I get to keep) to someone so they can piss it away.

I am sorry Zoddy if my attitude seems unsympathic ... but western society in my opinion doesn't know what real poverty is. At least that is my view here in Denmark which has a working and well off welfare system.

I do commend you though on your effects as I don't think parts of the US and other countries are so fortunate.

Regards
    Syxx