It's finally winter! Starting tomorrow, anyway

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
It's finally winter! Starting tomorrow, anyway

Giant "arctic mass" cold front is sweeping through the States, and will be hitting the Austin area sometime tonight. Today's high was about 80 degrees (Fahrenheit of course), and tomorrow's high plans to be right around 40F. That's a freakin' 40 degree drop in 24 hours, or to put it differently, tomorrow's high is expected to be 15 degrees lower than today's low temperature of 55 (taken around 6am the morning of). Also expected with the drastic temp drop is a line of strong thunderstorms that will likely produce either freezing rain and sleet or hail if the temp doesn't drop below freezing.

So much for the beautiful 80F days we've been having here in November. Although this is Texas weather we're talking about here, so this cold weather probably won't last more than a week or so. And if enough freezing rain/sleet falls, UT might just be forced to cancel classes for the morning or the entire day! (Texans simply cannot drive with frozen stuff on the road. It's an accepted fact.)

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
It dropped 30 degrees compared to yesterday today here.
And the solstice is December 22/23.

thejdawg2

Diabloii.Net Member
That's a freakin' 40 degree drop in 24 hours, or to put it differently, tomorrow's high is expected to be 15 degrees lower than today's low temperature of 55 (taken around 6am the morning of)
We've had similar happen at least 4 times already this year. And it's happening as I type. Not entirely uncommon in many places.

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I cant wait for the first snowfall. According to weather.com there may be two days next week with snow. Looks like I'll be busting out the board early this season.

Keldaris

Diabloii.Net Member
ummm, wow your cold snap would be an improvement here.....-34C the other night....Prince George BC canada..... and like 7-9 inches snow

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
We've had similar happen at least 4 times already this year. And it's happening as I type. Not entirely uncommon in many places.
This usually happens twice a year or so here in central Texas, once around this time and once in February or March. It always catches me off guard though.

Ash Housewares said:
finally?!

I will burn the forum servers for warmth!!
Gotta love that Texas weather! It was cold for awhile, but the highs have been hovering around 80 or so for the past few days. I'm not sure I could handle the cold weather you northerners deal with.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Gotta love that Texas weather! It was cold for awhile, but the highs have been hovering around 80 or so for the past few days. I'm not sure I could handle the cold weather you northerners deal with.
I live in southern CA, I can't handle any cold at all, if I see my breath I have a panic attack