Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

It's always ilvl 71+ in this area!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fire_Dragon, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Fire_Dragon

Fire_Dragon IncGamers Member

It's always ilvl 71+ in this area!

I was just wondering, are all amulets/rings that get dropped in the pit ilvl 71+ always? If not, is there an area in the game where the items are always ilvl 71+?

2. Danembont

Danembont Banned

Well, since ilvl on item drops is determined by monster level iirc, yeah.

3. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Anywhere in Act 2-5 Hell, and anywhere in Act 1 Hell except for: Blood Moor, Cold Plains, Stony Field, Dark Wood, Black Marsh, Tamoe Highland, Underground Passage 1, Monastery Gate, Outer Cloister, and Barracks.

But why do you want ilvl 71+? There are no ring affixes that become available at ilvl 71, and the only amulet one is "of Atlas" (+21-30 Strength).

I hope you have not misread the Crafting calculations and think you need an ilvl 71+ item as an input to guarantee 4 random affixes on the result?

4. Fire_Dragon

Fire_Dragon IncGamers Member

actually I did... I thought I needed 71+ ilvl to guarantee the maximum 4 mods on crafted. Since I'm obviosely in the dark about this, would you mind explaining? because I thought I needed ilvl 71+...

5. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Sure! You've almost got it, anyway - you're correct that you need ilvl 71+ to guarantee the maximum 4 mods - but that's the resulting ilvl that needs to be 71+, not the ilvl of the input item.

Now, the resulting ilvl is half your character level (rounded down) plus half the input item's ilvl (rounded down). So if, for instance, your character is level 60, you'll need an item of ilvl 82+ to get the 4 mods (60/2 + 82/2 = 71). But if you are level 80, you'll only need an item of ilvl 62+. If you are level 1, nothing can save you.

So always craft with your highest level character, if you're after the best results.

6. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

While we are on the topic of crafting, I always got my base crafting items by gambling with my highest char, since I assumed that the ilvl of gambled items = clevel +6 is. Is that correct?

7. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Gambled items have ilvl between clvl-5 and clvl+4 (inclusive). There's no easy way to determine the exact ilvl - of course a gambled amulet with +2 skills will always be at least ilvl 90.

So logically you should gamble and craft with your highest level character for best results.

8. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

As Shade said, gambled item ilvls are clvl-5 to clvl+4. So, assuming the worst, if you want to guarantee an ilvl 71+ result and therefore guarantee 4 affixes, you need to be clvl 74 (item ilvl could be as low as 69, but [74/2]+[69/2] = 71).