Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

It's a bit sad...

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Fearox, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

It's a bit sad...

I'm not very fond of some of those "new" necros. I'm speaking of those who max out every bone spirit synergy and then put on an Enigma armor and start behaving like a sorc or something (tele, tele, shoot, tele, shoot and so on and so on). In my opinion that's not a necromancer behaviour. Of course people can have it their way and I'm not saying there are any rights and wrongs when it comes to building of characters, but... it makes me sad. Mistreatment of the finest multi skilled character in the game. The same goes for the "amanecros" (the ones who only use bone spirit, nothing else - just running around, shooting bs, running around...).
    Necromancer has always been my favourite character in the game, and now he finally got beefed up by synergies. And of course that's very nice. But when I think of it I kind of enjoyed the situation in 1.09, when most of the people thought necros sucked.
    As I play pvp by rules I will never see those Marrowwalker's, and if I see some teleporting necro he will have max 15 block, 15 replenish life and some other limitations, and when I play pvm I avoid those public games (I have around 15 friends to play with instead). So why am I complaining? I think the answer is that I don't like it when people plays necromancer without respect.

Does anyone else feel this way? Feel free to agree, disagree and flame.

2. somewhatdamaged99

somewhatdamaged99 IncGamers Member

I totally agree. I played Necro almost exclusively prior to 1.10, and now every man and their dog has a necromancer (esp with name like PVP-Bonemancer) etc etc. I had a guy join a game i was in, i was playing Act 3 Hell, and a necro came in. He was about lvl 75 (i am 87) and asked to party so i said ok. Next thing i know he is spamming bone prison EVERYWHERE and i mean everywhere. I was walking about 2 steps at a time, whilst he casts amp damage all over the screen ( i am poison necro, so always use lower res0

This was really pissing me off so i asked him some questions :-
    Me - hi, is this your first necro
    him - Yeah they were sh** before 1.10 now they own
    me - why are you casting amp damage everywhere
    him - helping you kill faster
    me - i am using poison nova
    him - so what?
    me - what did you play before necro?
    him - usually ama and barb
    me - guided arrow with buri and whirlwind?
    him - yeah good guess man lol
    me - just a feeling..

So yeah i hate all the bandwagon jumpers who don't bother to read up on our beloved necro or even reading the T screen properly (amp damage helping my poion nova?)

Seems like a lot of battlenet people are missing a lot of common sense

God - Battlenet Pvpers would you like brains?
    PVPers - Trains? No i hate them.

Somewhatdamaged :)

3. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I have to say, I probably get the most compliments for team play I've ever gotten since re-starting my Bonemancer, as I tend to favor the party play approach, where you actually bother to see what chars are in your group and what way you can not only enchance their skills, but still contribute on your own. I usually do well with direct damage dealers since they love the bonus of Amp damage, Decrepify, Dim Vision and Attract.

My biggest problem is other necros, who simply just don't know the subtleties of playing with other chars, or even another Necro. They spam Amp Damage and Bone Walls all over the place, making the lag go up and the frustration levels of everyone in the game as well. I tend to limit my curses to Attract and CE when with other necros, unless I'm with someone who seems to know what they're doing, and is looking to work together.

it is sad to see other players just mangle what is probably the best char in the game. Just imho, but I think the folks who tend to lack the most common sense are the PvP Boners...I think I get the "Dood, y u haf skellies wen ur a Boner???" from them the most.

-X

4. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

most people dont have "ph4t l3wtz" (good items) so they need their skill points for synergies. it is sad to see those who have no clue what they are doing with curses though.

5. pliu

pliu Banned

Be careful what your said, everyone need synergies skill points to boot their skills. This is what 1.10 patch about. :lol: :lol: :teeth:

6. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

Seems that 9/10 other necros out there now are idiots (excuse the harshness). My skelliemancer does quite well on his own mf'ing (always loved my necros, ain't it great how 1.10 made mf'ing so much more viable in hell), but I do like to jump into baal run games and even quest games to help out (and break up the pit, baal, pindle, shenk, eldritch, meph runs). Being on b.net for more than 5 years now, you'd think I wouldn't be amazed at the amount of idiocy out there, but .....
    More often than not, when I join another game and another necro is there, it's almost a sure bet the guy's an idiot. My favorite - I like to DV Souls in the Worldstone and let my party clear them with relative safety (makes me a hero); now, I can't count the number of times some bone walling genius pops in and over rides my DV with his AMP (or IM ...).
    <sigh>

7. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

When I played a few open Baal runs with my necro I saw a lot of other necros spamming bone walls and prisons all over the place. Even though some of them used skellies (who couldn't attack due to the white barriers).
    "You draw shame upon the dark arts" I told that one (he actually had a bunch of people in the party killed with his spamming). But I don't even think he knew he was playing a necromancer. "I not spamm noob protect party" he told me. And then, of course, he accused me of "being bad party", even though I used one single bone wall in front of the sorcs (they liked it too).
    No use arguing with people like that. And they're the reason I very rarely play in public games.

8. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

most idiotic necro thing to do

Override my amp with weaken.

Pubby game, 2 skelemancers and a few barbs and pallys.

Bastard overrides my amp...

Theres no words to describe such idiocy

9. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I've seen summon necros casting iron maiden when using only mages.

10. wickedWinter

wickedWinter IncGamers Member

One word is all that is needed.. "genius"

11. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

In terms of party playing, Necros are good not because one skeleton can do 1000 dmg, which is possible with high levels everywhere, good gear, and an awesome Merc. These are the two factors that I think make Necro an amazing party member:

1) Tank
    2) Curse

15K dmg is pretty common these days. But when you've got 20 Venom Lords coming towards you, very few players can just stand there and face the enemy. A good Necro should be able to hold the "line of scrimmage" for the party. That's what makes your party members love you.

We all how bad it is when being cursed by the monsters. I bet the monsters must have the same feeling when they are being cursed. I can't overemphasize how good the Lower Resist curse is. When you have three sorcs and two trapsins in your party, LR can triple the killing speed. I'm collecting a full lightning resist gear now and hopefully I can run into a whole bunch of Blacksouls' and Dim Vision all of them (except the boss).

Barb is the infantry. Sorc is the gunner, amazon is the archer (by definition). Whatever you want to call them. Necro is the general. An adrenline bloodthirsty boxer cannot play a good Necro. This is an IQ-based job.

As for the "lag insult" against Necros, let me tell you what you should do. When your skellies are holding the enemy, and your nasty party member is just standing behind your skelly and complaining about the lag. TP back to the town and wait for the message:

XXXX was slain by Venom Lord.

12. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

Eh ... you might wanna put on some light absorb as well.
    My necro has maxed light resist and about 1000 HP.
    Even with that I gotta move damn fast on the hotkeys as a small pack of souls can drop me in less than a second.

13. Dreamsmith

Dreamsmith IncGamers Member

You know, I agree with most of the posts in this thead -- except the first one, which I found kind of silly...

I think the saddest part of Diablo II as a whole is the very large number of players who seem to think if you're playing class X, you need to play a particular way. Frankly, if I enter a game, and you can guess what kind of skills and tactics I'll use when we enter battle based on nothing but my character class, either (a) there's something wrong with the game, or (b) I'm a pretty dull, non-creative player.

Doing stupid things like casting Iron Maiden for your Skeleton Mages is of course just plain stupid. But using the skills you do use intelligently is a great thing, even if those skills you choose to use are not the same as the ones 95% of necromancers rely on, in fact especially so. You get zero respect from me for doing the same old thing the same old way, no matter how well you do it.

It makes me sad that so many people have such a narrow (not to mention blatantly incorrect) view of what constitutes "necromancer behaviour". The real tragedy is how little variation there is among necromancers compared to the rich variety of subclasses for some of the other classes. If we get more "bone sorcerers" out there, at least that adds some variety...

14. Dreamsmith

Dreamsmith IncGamers Member

Bah, precisely the kind of thinking I deplore. Make the Amazon infantry (Pokezon), use a Necromancer for gunner (Bone Sorcerer), and make the archer a Paladin (Holy Elemental Ranger) and you've got an interesting team...

15. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Some people refer the necro as having minions all the time.

Hey necro! Where are your minions?

I seen some newbie necros cast nothing but amp dmg when that necro uses bone spells! A few casts of dim vision or confuse makes survival easy.

16. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

I have little problem with necros teleporting, but A: make sure you know how to play a necro and not just teleport and B: for the love of god bonewalls are only to be used in anger against jerks and for the good of the party.

i mean for gods sake. I've seen dimwits overiding my lower resist with amp when the whole party in sorcs necros and an ele druid! ummm ok the only phys dmg here is maybe some minions and that druids tornado! now everyone here using an elemental attack? 5 fire sorcs raise their hands.

as for the bonewalls. i can be a lil jerk with them, but only if people are getting on my case about something. otherwise one of my favourite things do do with bonewalls/prisons is the "anti-LE" barrier". i tend to set this up between waves of baal's minions (especially bartuc). the first two groups its mostly a precaution, vs bartuc its a nice helper and even vs the last melee groups it provides a "speed bump" so i can either back up and bone spear em or if they have some nasty mods, bone prison them all then fire away!

also i think im the only necro I've ever seen on bnet actually USE dim vision! I always chuckle when one of these "bandwagon necros" runs into a room and gets killed in a single volley by wisps. then i walk in and calmly dispatch the blind balls of smoke! i of course make sure i tell them how easy it was...

17. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

This is just my opinion. I'm not arguing for "rules of necromancers" here. I like pizza and others don't - just the same thing.

18. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

There is no such thing, IMO, as "proper necromancer behavior." However, I do find that the +1 to teleport makes Enigma the "Runeword I Love To Hate." I think it's one of the worst things to ever happen to most people.

I do agree it is a godsend for Summonmacers everywhere. Teleport charges, or any charges for that matter, are damned expensive.

19. Dark Knight

Dark Knight IncGamers Member

Well... I always think a "proper :p" necromancer should have a little menagerie of summons. Summoners are what brought me to the Necromancer class after all. But I know some people are real bone tree fans.

20. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

of course, my first necros were summoners as well. only played 1 bonemancer in 1.09, and a couple tries at venomancer (always sucked tho :p didn't have any good stuff for them).

But I am one of those that own a pvp bonemancer on ladder. I don't, however, run around casting Iron Maiden on all the black souls in the Throne of Destruction >.< those people baffle me... is it really that hard to understand that 1 curse cannot solve every problem?? Why do those people think blizzard put the rest of the curses on that tree... for looks?

I don't even use 1 curse in pvp. I regularly use weaken, decrep, and amp. depending on who I'm playing with, against, etc. Then I use teeth, spear, and spirit, all depending on the battle situation.

Those necs that come in and tele around like mad, casting bs everywhere, don't really annoy me though. I just laugh, then go kill em :p

but what DOES annoy me is the towners. Have any of you ever seen these? Apparently the dregs of bnet saw that the necro was a great townsniper. They just sit in town (in htat VEEEEEEEEERY small area that's considered "Blood Moor" but you still can't target them) and cast mobs of bone spirits out. anyone who's dueling in hte area, or just happens to run in/out of town gets hit, and there's no way to target the player to kill him in return.

Last week I witnessed a lvl 95 necro doing this in a pub game for an HOUR. I was dumbfounded to say the least. Why take all the time and trouble to get a bonemancer to lvl 95, just to sit and pk from town? It's a sad, sad world out in pubby bnet.

--fatty