Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Item Upgrading With Cube

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by GameFellow, Apr 5, 2004.

1. GameFellow

GameFellow IncGamers Member

Item Upgrading With Cube

Can anyone share a link or give me an idea of what armor and weapons are best to upgrade? Since many items are impossible to find I thought upgrading items would be a good alternative.

For example: I just upgraded my Palladin Guardian Angel Templar Coat armor to Guardian Angel Hellforge Plate armor...almost doubled my defence (went from armor defense stats of like 785 to armor defense of 1510! I honestly didn't know too much about upgrading items and didn't know what I would get...I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to try upgrading other armor and maybe weapons but have no idea what items turn into what upgraded items. Is there a guide somewhere? Does anyone have practical experience upgrading uniques and want to share what items can turn into what better ('uber') other item?

I don't want to waste a single rune 'experimenting'.

Thanks!

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

well the key to upgrading is the base item, so just look at the base items and see what happens between an exceptional and unique, as in your example you go from a 274 def templar plate to what appears to be ~528 def hellforge plate

you just need to be wary of the requirement upgrades as well, such as str from 118 to 196, and I believe the upped GA will be over lvl60 req, I forget how lvl req works on upgrades

other things to look for, big changes in base damage in weapons, like ribcracker which goes from 8-26 quarterstaff to an elite 75-107 stalagmite

changes in base speed of weapon such as cloudcrack which goes from base 10 gothic sword to base -10 champion sword

and change in shield smite damage such as upgrading HoZ from 20-28 gilded shield to 46-46 Zakarum shield, as well as boot damage for assassins

3. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Slightly off-topic.

Has anyone upgraded a Kuko Shakuku?

I'm curious.

4. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I heart upped Guardian Angel. I upped a 199% and got reaaally close to the max defense possible, 156x or something like that.

I have a related question which might help you too... this is my understanding with upgrading armors, and I may be incorrect... When you upgrade, say, an exceptional to an elite, the game picks a random defense elite armor as the base type? So say when I upgraded my GA, I could get a Hellforge plate from anywhere in between 421-530 defense base, so being a 199% guardian angel I could get anywhere between 1258-1587?

5. Ash Housewares

I was also interested to hear of it, a perfect one would do 42-165 and the exploding arrow would be great for rangers or enchantress maybe? but I think everyone got stuck on widowmaker and I don't hear much of it

6. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Based on Usu's response, I think I'll upgrade my Guardian Angel and some other things...

7. Ash Housewares

that is the impression I've gotten, I've seen upgraded HoZ with the same def as regular HoZ because gilded is 169 and 169 is the minimum def for Zakarum Shield

8. Usufruct

hehehe I have to post a screen of my GA, it's frickin leet.

@Ash, that would suck hard having an upped ZoZ with the same def as a reg one!

9. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

That assupmtion is indeed correct.

10. Usufruct

Booyeah. Ok, when I go home I'm going to find out what def that armor actually is and from that find out what def base hellforge plate I got, just for kicks.

11. SuggestiveName

So you are telling me that you are going to be doing math -algebra even- WILLINGLY and on your own?!?!?!??! What has the world come to?!?!?!?

12. Usufruct

Hmm you make a good point. Maybe I'll just post the screenshot in hopes someone else will do the math.

...hmmm, maybe I'll just go to sleep.

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Don't forget to put a piece of armor under your pillow and hope the armorfairy upgrades it for you overnight!

14. SuggestiveName

I'll wager that you will not, in fact do either, but instead do meph runs as usual.

15. Usufruct

rofl :lol:

That's what I usually do, but tonight I think I'll put a condom under my pillow and see what happens.

16. Ash Housewares

why not? I already figured out the base defense of the original posters armor and he didn't even tell me the %ed

17. Gorny

Gorny Banned

You might wake up to your pillow performing strange acts of affection for you....

I could think up a worse comment but I guess I'll leave it alone.

18. SuggestiveName

Maybe his condom will upgrade into a Vibrating Condom. That would be a leet condom.

19. Ash Housewares

condom has no %ed mod so upgrading it doesn't do much good since you'll just randomly reroll the base, and the requirement is so much higher I doubt you'll ever be able to wear it

20. Anthraquinone

Anthraquinone IncGamers Member

I like ethereal condoms but I'm not shure what happens to the ethereal requirement bonus when you upgrade it. Any experiences?

-AnQ