Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Item-Theme Project/Sept

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DiabloTwoinDC, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC IncGamers Member

I think that I better get a head start on this one before I actually begin. Just random browsing of items on Arreat Summit got me thinking about this project. Many items (unique/set/RW) have similar names. I thought it would be neat to build some characters around these seemingly random collection of items. The challenge being, finding a character/build to make good use of all the items. As always, feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. Here are a couple of examples:

Bran Zu "Carrion Crow":
    • Ravenlore
    • Crow Caw
    • Carrion Wind
    • Husoldal Evo (Bec de Corbin) ;)
    • Cleglaw's Claw
    Granito "Granite":
    • Rockstopper
    • Rockfleece / 'Stone'
    • Stoneraven
    • IK Stone Crusher
    • Stone of Jordan

K├Ârperteile
    "Body Parts":
    • The Meat Scraper/Butcher's Pupil/Heart Carver/The Scalper
    • Boneflesh/Skin of the Flayed One
    • Laying of Hands
    • String of Ears
    • Giant Skull/Face of Horror
    • Gorefoot
    Carpus "Wrist bones":
    • Boneflame
    • Boneshade
    • 'Bone'
    • Marrowwalk
    • Boneflesh
    • Bonehew
    • Giant Skull
    Here are some of the other item "themes" that I've found. Haven't really come up with any build ideas for these as of yet:

"Earth" (Earth Shifter, Nature's Peace, Earth Shaker, 'Wind')

"Reptile" (Salamander, Firelizard, Dragonscale) :confused:

"Insect" (Arachnid Mesh, Wormskull, Steel Carapace)

"Snake" (Serpent Lord, Viperfork, Venom Ward, Snakecord, Venom Grip)

"Iron" (Astreon's, Iron Pelt, Ironstone, Rusthandle, Hsarus'-full set)

"Steel" (Steel Pillar, Veil of Steel, Steeldriver, Steel Carapace, Steelclash)

"Wind" (Horizon's, Carrion Wind, Windhammer, Windforce)

"Fire" (Flamebellow, Hexfire, Todensfalle Flamme, Infernostride)

"Cold" (Frostwind, Snowclash, Coldkill, Sureshill Frost, Frostburn, Iceblink, Mavina's Icy Clutch)

"Storm" (Thundergod's, Stormrider, Cloudcrack, Stormspire, Thunderstroke, Stormspike, 'Holy Thunder', Stormshield, Stormguild)

"Mythology" (Athena's Wrath, The Minotaur, Titan's Revenge, 'Myth', Leviathan, Medusa's Gaze, Valkyrie Wing, Cerebus' Bite - I know, it's spelled wrong..)

"Black" (Alma Negra, Black Hades, Blackoak Shield, 'Black', Blacktongue, Blackleach Blade, Blackhand Key)

"Shadow" (Shadow Killer, Shadow Dancer, Natalya's Shadow, Shadowfang) Assassin perhaps? :rolleyes:

"Guard" (Kira's Guardian, Guardian Angel, Swordguard, Guardian Naga, The Ward, Spirit Ward)

Please, let me know if you have any build ideas for these themes. Or, if there are some more items I didn't include, or if there are any other themes you'd suggest.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    mir likes this.
  2. mir

mir IncGamers Member

Cool project!

'Wind' : 'Thor'- barbarian, frenzy or ww (preffer frenzy), wind runeword in hammer and horizon/baezil's vortex/the other elite hammer/something more suited or go with shield and ww.

'Stone' or 'Iron' - concentrate barb or concentration zealot

'Reptile' - Dragon tail assa (with fire claws charges)?

'Storm' - Enchant&Lightning mastery melee sorc?

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Skull - Bonesnap, Soul Harvest, Gravenspine, Ume's Lament, White runeword in a bone wand, Wormskull, Wall of the Eyeless (I just checked normal uniques... whatever involves bones or skulls). A couple of necro builds would be pretty good at it.

Mist - Only ethereal items if it exists for the item slot in question. Indestructible/zoded or replenishing items or runewords only from self-found stuff. No zod/indestructibility bugging of any kind, of course. You cannot use bows or crossbows. No dura resetting via the Anya quest (if that bug still exists). Plenty of characters are possible.

I'm just delivering ideas, not trying them out ;)

4. DiabloTwoinDC

@mir I like the Wind Barb, forgot about 'Wind'. That's too bad the CtC wouldn't proc with WW though.

@krischan there is also the unique staff Skull Collector. I always wanted to make a build around that one. And Mist sounds like one for @Grape. Make a build utilizing ALL of his Zod-God items.. :p

5. mir

mir IncGamers Member

@DiabloTwoinDC yea, forgot about that.... you can utilize Wind's FRW instead (as 'flying' aspect) coupled with Schaefer's hammer as lightning source (domain)

Few more ideas:

"Snake" - 2H venom assassin?

"Black" - Conviction paladin with Gimmershred/Deamon's Arch/Lacerator (thrower). You can use Blackhand Key to create safe zones with grimward charges, get act 1 merc with as much 'slow monsters' as possible so they won't escape easily and have fun :)

"Mythology" - Some fameous figures from greece myths....
    1. Dionysus - Rabis druid build around HCMTF : Athena's Wrath (Dol Rune), 'Myth' (CtC Howl), Cerebus' Bite
    2. Thermodosa - LS Amazon : Titan's Revenge, Medusa's Gaze, Valkyrie Wing. Just don't invest in D/A/E skills and add some iPDR equpment to be able to tank hits untill LR goes off.
    3. Xena (yes, yes, she is a fictional char) - Blade Fury Assa : The Minotaur, Leviathan (?)...... no idea what else can go here....

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  6. DiabloTwoinDC

Yea, the Mythology theme was my favorite. Making several builds might be worthwhile.

7. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

More items;
    Storm: Stormguild.
    Steel: Steelclash.

Protecting theme:
    Kiras Guardian, Guardian Angel, The Ward, Spirit Ward, Swordguard, Guardian Naga
    Any character that focuses on keeping the hireling alive at all cost.

8. DiabloTwoinDC

Thanks. Added to the list.

That reminded me of an "Ancient Rome" theme - Centurion, Pompeii's Wrath, Gladiator's Bane is all I've come up with though.

Edit: For the "Mythology" theme? Never knew what a Kelpie was until now..
    Or, perhaps a "Fantasy" theme? (Goblin Toe, Wizardspike, Magefist)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. DiabloTwoinDC

Bran-Zu (lvl 47) - He's already to A3 NM, thanks to some MP with @Pyrotechnician. Been playing mostly with Fissure, using 2-piece Cleglaw's. Recently added Crow Caw (lvl 37) and Husoldal Evo (lvl 44). These items are more suited for melee, and didn't really fit into the Fire/Summon build. So, decided to go with Fire/Shape-shift if there is such a thing? Plan is to rely mostly on Fissure, and of course Ravens. ;) Then when he starts to run into Fire Immunes, he will shift into Werewolf, and Fury with his polearm.

Screenshot098.jpg

Also found this nice ammy in my stashes, +1 point for the name!
    Screenshot099.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Southpaw8668 likes this.
  10. DiabloTwoinDC

Bran Zu (lvl 54) - A5 NM. Took a bit to get used to the mechanics, but it's turning out to be fun so far. Fire/Caster setup, weapon-swap to Polearm, shape-shift, then Fury away. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Using mostly against FI/Bosses, as the AoE with Fissure is still tearing everything apart.

Screenshot102.jpg

Screenshot104.jpg
    Screenshot105.jpg
    Screenshot106.jpg
    Screenshot107.jpg

And, picked up a nice skiller on the way to Big D.
    Screenshot108.jpg

Screenshot109.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Zyr and Southpaw8668 like this.
  11. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

I am following the Greek (mostly) mythology theme!

Untitled-1.jpg

Zyr and DiabloTwoinDC like this.
  12. DiabloTwoinDC

Started up character #2.

Granito (lvl 28) - IK/Lightning Strike Amazon
    • Rockstopper
    • Rockfleece
    • Stoneraven
    • IK Stone Crusher
    She gets decent (20%) damage reduction. So, hopefully along with D/A/E + Valk, she will be a good tank. Because swinging a 2H Mace with normal attack isn't going to be fast. Stoneraven on switch for PIs.

Screenshot191.jpg

13. DiabloTwoinDC

That is some slooowww attack speed. I managed to post this pic in between attacks... o_O
    Screenshot192.jpg

14. DiabloTwoinDC

Finally, back to actually playing the game..

Granito (lvl 45) - A1 NM

Screenshot368.jpg

Just hit lvl 45 for Merc to equip 'Harmony'. That will speed things up greatly. She's got another 31 levels before she can use IK Maul.. So, I figure that I should attempt to gear her up properly in the meantime. Merc is gonna use 'Faith', but that is another 20 levels away, so will have to do with slow maul attack speed until then.
    • Rockstopper (mandatory) - should I bother upping?
    • Rockfleece (mandatory) - upped?
    • Steeldriver (40% IAS over Bonesnap made a huge difference) - probably up this? as the Exceptional Mauls have no IAS..
    • Hsarus' Belt/Boots - AR bonus
    • Angelic Ring/Ammy - AR bonus
    • Venom Grip - LL, and brings psn resist up to 0%..
    • Raven Froat!
    She is gonna be mostly Passive-Tree. So, not sure if I should even bother trying to boost her def. Dmg will be terrible as well, until getting IK partial-set elemental bonuses.

15. DiabloTwoinDC

Granito (lvl 65) - A5 NM

Screenshot447.jpg

Used upped Steeldriver as main wep through NM. Proof that you can accomplish anything you want in life if you just keep hitting things with a hammer. :confused: Started to use the spear light skills with Lycander's Flank as an elemental attack. Her endgame skills will be reversed once she gets IK maul. (spear = physical, maul = elemental) Level 65 is a nice breakpoint, as Merc can now use 'Faith' and she just swapped out her upped Rockfleece for 'Stone' Archon Plate at lvl 63.

jonnyphive, galtwish, Pb_pal and 2 others like this.
  16. DiabloTwoinDC

Started up character #3.

K├Ârperteile (lvl 10) - A1 Normal
    Screenshot449.jpg

Psycho Barb - Of course I decided to go with the weakest options available in terms of weapons.. they seem to fit the theme better. When I imagine someone that goes around wearing people's body parts as decoration, they typically are not walking around with an enormous poleaxe. Knives and scalpels are typically the tools of the trade.

So, the plan is to use monster flee from Face of Horror, and Grim Ward from Heart Carvers as crowd control. Double swinging daggers, and Double throwing dual Scalpers. Low damage with no crushing blow could be a pain.

T72on1 and Zyr like this.
  17. DiabloTwoinDC

Granito (lvl 72) - A1 Hell

I was dreading the switch to hell difficulty..
    Screenshot452.jpg

Gonna gear her up a bit better to help with the resists. But, I haven't really decided what to do about the @40% difference between Stoneraven and IK Maul. Do I socket some resist jewels in there, or just accept the drop in resists? If Stoneraven is going to be my "boss killer" maybe I just stack resists to deal with Conviction.

18. DiabloTwoinDC

Granito (lvl 76) - A1 Hell

Hit lvl 76 just as she completed the tower. With lvl 13 fanatacism, and 40% + 25% IAS from IK set, she is already maxed 11 fpa. Also, beefed up the resists quite a bit, and waved goodbye to her fancy lite-spear attacks. :(
    Screenshot453.jpg

Some numbers:
    6000+ AR
    1400-2800 IK attack
    3300-5300 Impale (24% chance loss dura)

So, Stoneraven has 28 durability. Average 1 lost per 4 attacks (hits?). A good 100+ attacks before breaking. Should hopefully last for a few boss battles..

Edit: Well (on /p3) she hammered her way straight through 2x boss packs + champion archers without needing a single potion. :)
    Screenshot455.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    PhineasB, ArtOfSenf and Zyr like this.
  19. DiabloTwoinDC

Granito (lvl 79) - A3 Hell

She is doing pretty well. Keeping merc alive is a must.. Been going between p1-p3 just for ease of play. With Valk + Decoy + the occasional Reanimate, she is able to handle everything with relative safety. The Skellie/Mummy packs were a nightmare though! :mad: Slow, single target, normal attack isn't exactly mowing down the hoardes. When she ran into these packs, she'd have to kill each skellie like 2-3 times because they get revived as fast as she could kill.. :confused:

I had to double check on Arreat Summit that there is no rune that grants 'Slain monsters RIP'. I would be seriously considering it, even if it cost Vex+

Screenshot457.jpg

Correction: didn't realize 'Faith' Fana was lvl 15. So, she hits 10fpa! :D

20. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

Is Nature's Peace an option (can't recall the rings she's currently wearing)? I guess it really doesn't matter much after A2 though . . .