Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Item suggestions for an FO sorc.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by 0takuPryd3, Mar 23, 2004.

1. 0takuPryd3

0takuPryd3 Banned

Item suggestions for an FO sorc.

Right now my setup is as follows: topaz shako, um'ed skin, diamond ss, war travelers, verdungo's, magefist/chance, FCR ring, nagelring, wizardspike, 1 to sorc amulet. It's an alright setup, but I want to increase my orb damage a little bit since I didn't max Ice Bolt. I was thinking about three ways to do this.

1. Put a cold facet in my Wizardspike.

2. Get HotO, which would cost a hell of a lot and also require me to get resists from somewhere (I would like a perfect Mara's, which would also cost a hell of alot). This would increase FO and CM by 5 each, thus increasing my damage.

3. Getting 8 (ideally) cold charms. This would also cost a hell of a lot.

Basically, I am wondering if it's worth spending a lot of time getting the really good items or if a Cold Facet (which I'm hoping is kind of cheap) would do me any good. I don't even know if it would do much with just one Facet. Right now the only things I have to trade are pretty much crap and with my luck, I won't find much in the league of Mara's/Vex etc. On top of all of this, I dream of a CTA so that I don't have to wait for barbarians to tele to the Throne, or fear being PKed. Anyway, I mostly made this thread to find out what Cold Facets are worth without having to hear "offer nub" and to avoid doing my homework. and ur all are noobs

2. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Well, I assume your FO does 295 to 311 damage now, so just multiply that by 1.03 to 1.05 to see your new listed damage after socketing a facet. Also, the -enemy resistance on the facet is worth 1 level of CM at best which increases by 5% every level. Especially with cold sorcs I don't think facet's shine. But hey, if you are bored just go for it.

3. 0takuPryd3

0takuPryd3 Banned

I was afraid of that. Well, I guess I'll just hope for something good. After all, I found a Jalal's Mane today.... *cries*

4. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

hehe, the good ol' .09 sorc build. Weeeee! Going for killing power? Or like playing with the monsters longer than most in Hell? lol, j/k

Here ya go, Item suggestions to increase that killing power up over 1,000 easily (and don't say you can't, mines only 1124 max!):

1) Death's Fathom (even a 15%er is good, socket it with a 4% CF although people think 1% is gonna make a huge difference)
    2) Nightwing's Veil (socket with CF)
    3) Ormus Robes socketed with an Um rune (for the res you'll need)
    4) Any +2 ammy, Mara's is fine but get ahold of a good rare or better yet cube a +2 Caster)
    5) Ton of cold charms
    6) Anni
    7) SOJ (one will do)
    8) Lidless (Um'd or Pdiamond)
    9) Arachnid Sash
    10) Boots I prefer Sandstorm Treks for the FHR and extra 30 life.

You a max block sorc? Why the SS? Trade off the gear you are wearing that doesn't match the above, you have plenty to trade with.

In the switch put your wizzy and another Lidless for FCR. Will bump you to 90% FCR when you need to teleport anywhere then you can switch to get that raw killing power.

Also make sure your Mastery is maxed out. My sorc carves up Act 1 to 3 beasts in Full Games like it's Normal Mode. Just score direct hits with the orb tho.

5. 0takuPryd3

0takuPryd3 Banned

I don't go for straight damage, otherwise my build would be much different already. This is a "safe" MF sorc... I don't have a switch or anything. I always have max res, 60% damage reduction and Energy Shield. I don't have max block, but the SS still adds nice PDR and defense. It also makes me feel cool because hey, it's Stormshield. Manliest man-shield around.

Anyway, I just want to make my MF runs shorter. Meph takes quite a few orbs after static, even when perfectly aimed (which is hard, since he likes to move around a lot but not like Andariel against whom you can aim orbs in her path of flight) and Pindle takes about 2 well-aimed orbs, which they usually aren't due to the fact that I don't like to spend time check to see which zombie is Pindle. Getting better gear is also almost all I have left to do; I don't want to build another character and get it all suited-up with nice gear and all that and then Blizzard announcing a ladder reset.

6. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

Death Fathom ^_^

7. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

The Vergundo's is going to waste IMO. Try to get an Arachnid's. Other options might be TGod's, Tal's, Goldwrap, Nightsmoke depending on what you need.

Even with a few more +skills you're not gonna get much more dmg out of that thing without a Death's Fathom, and cold skill charms tend to be rather expensive. If I were you I'd just be content with the fact that I could pwn Meph with a few well-placed orbs.

8. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Phat: Expensive cold charms. Tell me about it. I blew a Vex on 4 of the things.

9. 0takuPryd3

0takuPryd3 Banned

I already have enough FCR and 1 to skills won't help all that much. Not worth wearing Arachnid's. Tgod's isnt' a bad idea, since most of my close calls are from Burning Souls or Gloams (f*** mana drain). In the end, Verdungo's looks the coolest so it wins.

So anyway, now that my merc isn't a complete lamez0r and doesn't die in 2 seconds from Meph my runs have speeded up nicely. I guess I don't need teh ub4r 1337 itamz nemore. The fun wouldn't be as great as the trouble its worth.

10. cfinch

cfinch IncGamers Member

My sorc is currently wearing

Shako (topaz)
    Skullders (topaz
    Wiz (13 res all jewel)
    Gerkes 29res+ (pdiamond)
    War Travs
    Magefist
    Tgod
    Maras 23res
    RavenFrost
    Dwarfstar

I have max resists in hell and max block. I have never come close to dying and I do hell rushes I just never attempted act4 or 5 with the exception of killing diablo I use other chars to get there. Most of the time the dwarf is a nagel and I got a gheeds and my mf is over 300% . My orb does close to 500 dmg and my merc wears shaft arreat and doombringer which helps me out a ton. I like my sorc I may not have all the + to skills but shes very safe and still kills just fine. As far as cast rate goes ive gone from 50% to 130% and im just fine with 70% as long as I hit the breakpoint for tele which is 63% thats all the faster cast rate ill ever need. Anyways if you blew all your points and need more dmg maybe you should make a new sorc ? The setup I run is great I find great items and its not worth a whole lot so I could die and not sweat it as I have before due to town kill and I just rebuilt and moved on.

11. 0takuPryd3

0takuPryd3 Banned

My sorc is safe, I can rush Hell (excluding Ancients) and all that business. I just was wondering how much faster my kill speed would be with some more +skills, is all. I have now decided that I'm fine for kill speed; with my merc, I can kill Meph in ~12 statics and 4-5 orbs. I have now decided to just save up for CTA to make Baal runs faster. I could also use one of those lightning absorb rings, the name of which I cannot remember for the life of me. Anyway, thanks for your help, and I apologize for how bad I am at stating my questions on message boards.