Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Item question?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grimey, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Grimey

Grimey Banned

Item question?

Since battle.net is so full of hackers, dupers and all kinda crap. I'm retiring from Battle.net and starting a single player guardian career. So my question is this: Is the fingerprint code something to prove that you really have the real thing and not just some hero editor crap item? What do you use to get these fingerprints?

PS: Give me a build idea for my first guardian attemp. I have HC experience so I won't start with a Summoner or a Trapper.

2. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Re: Item question?

To get the fingerprint we use ATMA. It's a muling program. For information see the sticky at the top of the page.

As for your first question, we can't disclose that information to you, it's kept secret so we can easily identify people using item/hero editors (please read as: "i really don't know, but i felt like writing a bit").

3. Grimey

Grimey Banned

Ok, thank you.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The fingerprint is viewable by ATMA and GoMule, our muling utilities. Every item should have a unique one (except gems and runes). We use it to track items, yes.

Any editor is unacceptable on the SPF and SPTF. Read our FAQ, particularly the Gameplay Affecting Techniques post.

There are build guides in the Sticky FAQ and a Stickied SPF Mat/Pat/Guardian thread which should give you some ideas.

You can use any build in the other sub-forums but you may have to adapt it to SP limitations (usually availability of gear such as Anni/Torch and HR). Whether you use RWM will be another factor.

Oh, I'm looking to tidy the FAQ so any input from a new person would be interesting. PM me. Ta.

EDIT: @ Nepeta - not that many and not of the same item type IIRC.

5. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

The fingerprints are created by the game already ATMA reads them when it reads the item.

Dupes are found easily with them, don't worry about them much unless you trade with people outside of the spf.

as for builds:

windy druid
    blizzard sorc
    lightning amazon
    advenger pally
    concentration barb

or any other cookie cutter out there

6. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Fingerprints are not unique, there have been sightings of different items with the same fingerprint.

Further, I second Uzziah's motion for the wind druid. I think they're pretty cool guys, eh kill all monsters save a few and yaddayadda you know...

7. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Welcome to the Single Player Forum! If dupes and cheats annoy you, you definitely came to the right place. I'd like to add trap assassin to the list of viable first builds - great resistances with Fade, crowd control with Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows, and the best weapons can be shopped for (with patience and luck.) Plus, she's just so darned cute!

- Noodle

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. Jahgro

Jahgro IncGamers Member

The only reason the fingerprints are not unique is diablo 2 uses 4 bytes to store the fingerprint value. Using this you can have 4294967293 seperate values not counting 00000000h and FFFFFFFFh. there have been way more items droped than that.

9. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Member

But the reason that fingerprints are useful is for this reason:

Let's take an item that has no variations like the SOJ, and let's look at the drop chance. 1:1000 or so from NM bugged Andarial. So the chance for two SOJ's to drop with the same exact fingerprint would be:

1 in (4,294,967,293 * 1000) ... and that's assuming that the fingerprint is a completely random result (which it's not, but that's more detail than is needed).

Once you start looking at items which have variations ... which most of the high end stuff people would be tempted to dupe has ... then it becomes more like ...

1 in (4,294,967,293 * 10,000 * 18) ... and then we're talking silly astronomically low chances.

In other words... for all intents and purposes fingerprints can be counted upon to uniquely identify items.

10. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

back in 2003(?) with Atma 1 I had a pair of death's swords with the same ID which turned out to be a copy-and-paste error. Since then I don't think we've had that happen naturally.

I thought there was some lee-way allowed for a HC enabling character or did I just make that up?