item hunting

foofighter

Diabloii.Net Member
item hunting

In my item hunting gear i have about 240%MF, which i know isnt amazing, but hey. Where would be the best place to hunt for ravenfrost? Ive just changed my duriels shell for a chains of honour scarab husk, and so dont have cannot be frozen anymore. any ideas?

Skinhead On The MBTA

Diabloii.Net Member
If you have ATMA, you can use the Item Probability generator to find out where has the highest odds.

If you don't have ATMA and use Windows - get ATMA!

If you don't use Windows, maybe someone can tell you.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Hell Andy is the most likely to drop Unique Rings.

It would help if you told us what character you were MF'ing with. Also it's quite impressive (unusual?) that you have the runes for CoH but no Ravenfrost's yet.

Edit: That sounds a bit acusative. I suppose it's not an impossible situation, or perhaps you are just looking for multiple instances of Ravenfrosts.

-hps

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
NM Andariel apparently has the best drop rates for unique rings like SoJ and Raven BUT it can be a nightmare to get a fast map for her.

Someone recently posted that NM Meph have only a slightly worse chance to drop rings, but a much better chance to drop other stuff which you could probably trade for a ring!

It's also a lot quicker to roll a nice map for him and he has a couple of mobs nearby who have a very slight chance to drops gold and green too.

DM

foofighter

Diabloii.Net Member
I do have ATMA, but as I have realised, the fact that that i have ATMA allows me to get any rune i want, seeing how you can simply duplicate them and then upgrade them using the cube recipes. I know this is a little cheaty, but i couldnt be bothered with the ridiculous 0.0000000456% chance or whatever it is to drop any remotely high rune. I guess im just unlucky with ravenfrost. Im a lvl 78 tiger strike/dragon tail assassin by the way.

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Foofighter: I just want to make sure that you know that duping items is not allowed into our trade and MP pool at the SPF and SP Trade Forum. What you do on your own computer it fine, and you are certainly allowed to participate in the discussions on the forums here, you just may not trade or MP. If you ever change your mind and want to trade or MP, you will need to PM me first to determing what needs to be done to clean up your stashes. (Probably a restart.)

Anyhow, to answer the original question, you can get the odds from ATMA, but I would go with Hell Meph if you can run him quickly, simply because you can get other nice items from him while you run. Hell Andy and NM meph would be my next choices, but only if you can run them significanly faster than Hell Meph.

NM Andy cannot drop Ravenfrost, that's why she's so good for the SOJ: she has fewer unique rings to choose from.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
NM Andy cannot drop Ravenfrost, that's why she's so good for the SOJ: she has fewer unique rings to choose from.
Really? I swear I've gotten a raven from the crystalline passage or one of the ice places in act 5 norm, but perhaps I'm mistaken. (I don't have ATMA anymore to check either)

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Just kill Hell Meph over and over and over ... and you'll find a Ravenfrost eventually. At the very least you'll get your hands on good equipment along the way ... unlike Andy where you have less decent items to drop apart from the Raven.

Shagsbeard

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd second bill's suggestion. There's no better source of "typical" gear than Hell Meph. The only problem with Hell Meph is that you have no chance of getting some of the gear, so eventually you have to move on if you are a collector. The point at which you "move on" is up to you, but it should be pretty early in your collection career. Well before you get to the last 10 items or so.

Still... if you feel that you need CoH so badly you are willing to cheat to get it, it's highly unlikely you're going to have the patience to hunt for a specific item like ravensfrost. Even though it's relatively common, hunting for any single item in the game can be very frustraiting.

The game is much more fun if you simply play by the rules and adapt to the items that the game gives you rather than trying to make the game adapt to you.