Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Item Help (unique shields)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Baal, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

Item Help (unique shields)

holy crap - i think i just got an awesome drop. but my inexperience with equipment renders me unable to make a decision.

i have a unique shield called "The Ward Gothic Shield". it only has 112 def and 46% chance to block. but it has +50 to all res... and +10 to strength

but i just found another unique shield (which i can't use yet - but i have enough stat points to almost be able to use (to put into str)

it's called "Gerke's Sanctaury Pavise" it has 263 def, 74% chance to block, replenish life +15, and +21 to all resistances... now i figure i could just get some charms from my ATMA stash to make up for most of the lost 29 to resistances... this shield seems awesome to me

i'm just not sure if it's worth it - i'll have to invest quite a bit into str to be able to use it. i have 95 str (without the first shield's bonus) and 25 stat points - and the shield requires 133 str. so should i start spending points so i can use the thing? or is that pointless?

2. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

It truly depends on what character you will be using it on. Putting the extra points in strength won't do any harm to melee characters. It also puts you just a few more points in strength away from a hel'd Stormshield. You can also P. Diamond or Um (if you can afford it) the shield to make up the lost resistance. I use Gerkes on almost all of my lower level melee chars. It is a nice shield, but ultimately the choice is yours. Cheers!

3. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

What type of character are you playing? That will make a big difference. A melee character might be far more interested in the blocking, while for a ranged character different considerations apply.

4. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

i'm using Nightfish's Necromancer guide. i'm level 60 in act III NM

5. Round 4

Round 4 IncGamers Member

I would stick with the ward if I were you. Necros need resists more than they do blocking. If you feel happy about your life/mana totals though, by all means dump the strength to use it, put a p-diamond or um in that baby, and you're good to go. Gerkes is a great shield but as mentioned by people before, it's more melee oriented.

6. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

maybe i'll just toss it in my stash and keep it for a barb or something then thanks :)