Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Item Find Thread Input

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Item Find Thread Input

Hey, there's been a couple of suggestions to change the IFT in the past.

Just popping these options out there for you all to decide if you want to do anything.

* IFT for 1.00-1.12a plus another separate IFT for 1.13 finds
    * An IFT for runes/uniques/runewords/sets and another IFT for crafts/rares
    * An IFT for runes and a separate IFT for runewords/uniques/crafts

Up to you guys, I'm easy. I like to see crafts but I know we also need runes reporting for trading purposes.

2. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Re: Item Find Thread Input

I don't see a reason to separate them. If you feel so inclined, you can just state what version you're playing. Plus, who wants to jump around threads to post their hauls?

3. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

... Why? Because of the disparity of rarity of 1.13 runes (and thus runewords) vs. pre-1.13 runes?

The IFT I know and love is not one that fulfills an obligatory book-keeping purpose (record of items according to the person who found them), nor is it one that categorizes items according to rarity. It's a fun thread for SPFers to post their item finds of any quality. It could be a celebrated finally-completed-the-grail Tyreal's Might, it could be a yay-I've-found-Skullder's Ire-after-30-Meph-runs, it could be a luls-cracked-sash, it could be time-to-brag-3x Jah runes/1 day, it could be anything.

I don't see why we would ever need to segregate 1.00-1.12 vs 1.13 IFTs. It's inconvenient in almost every sense except for the purposes of book-keeping and searching, and not very practical (some IFTs will begin to die - look what page the "Post your 1.07 Finds Thread" is on; people would still accidently post rares in the main IFT from time to time).

Thumbs down on all seperation ideas, hence Leave It Combined, but Durf is better.

4. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I think it's important to realize that people use the IFT for different reasons. Some use it to show off their finds (brag) and others use it to see what they could be finding (inspiration). Currently, I'm not being inspired so much by all the runes being reported, nor am I giving the respect that you might think you're getting by posting them... in 1.13. With the increased rune drops, I'm finding runes in the Mal-Cham range just too often found for me to get excited about them. The items made from those runes however are inspiring.

It's like we don't report gold we pick up, but we do report the nifty items that occasionally pop up from gambling. The gold isn't interesting even though the items that are produced can be. Same goes for crafts. Reporting the components would be silly, but posting a fine craft with perfect mods is quite inspirational and worthy of a good brag.

So I feel that reporting rune drops should be discouraged, while reporting items made from said runes become the norm.

That being said, there should be a place to report rune drops... because there's a use for that as well. People should come to appreciate just how these runes are dropping and what strategies seem to work to get them. The IFT isn't really a place for that discussion. I'm finding most of the high runes I've gotten since 1.13 have been from regular monsters and questing... not through LK runs or countess. In fact, my latest Ber was from a fallen in the countess's own room, nearby her pitiful usual crud.

5. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I actually quite like Shags' idea.

I'm finding myself more and more just skipping past the runes unless someone has found a Zod, everything else I find fairly irrelevant now really.

It may be an idea to have a separate rune find thread and an item find thread, as I personally find the uniques and rares which people find more interesting, and I wouldn't have to sift through the rune drops.

The IFT is pretty ridiculous in its current form, as a guess it must be every 3rd - 4th post is a rune higher than Vex, and although people are happy to find them (myself included), it just gets a bit boring after a while.

6. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

Leave it combined. Full stop.

If we start seperating things, we might as well keep seperate threads for normal S/U finds, exceptional S/U, Elite S/U, etc. What about a Tyrael's Might find thread?

The Item Find Threads have always been just that; a thread for reporting items found, be it the first Deaths belt after a restart/start, the first end-game worthy exceptionals or high-end runes.
    Granted, we're seeing more Jahs than Death's belts reported, but that's just where the game is at at the moment.

That's my view at least.

Edit.

The last splitting attempt ended quite fast iirc. Someone tried to seperate 1.13 finds from earlier (to make the runes from pre 1.13 stand out more I guess)

7. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Runes aren't special any more. Even Zods are no longer exciting to me even though they are still about as rare as a Lo in patches past. Runewords? Have fun with them, but they aren't nearly exciting any longer.

Runes are currency. While the occasional posting of a $1 000 000 jackpot in the form of a previous high rune was exciting, viewing everyone posting their weekly $10 000 salary of 1.13c high runes is beyond mundane.

I think that 1.13c runes should stay out of the item find thread with no alternate 'rune find thread'. Trading of high runes requires a rune history but screen-shots can be posted in a trade thread just as easily as in the item find thread.

I voted durf as there was no option to eradicate posting of 1.13c rune finds altogether.

8. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

While there are many reasons I enjoy the Item Find Threads, I primarily view them as a way to celebrate finds with the community. The nature of the game is such that drops are exhilarating, and I enjoy sharing that excitement with others, either as the one posting the drop or as the one reading the post. If you are thrilled about your first Shako after a restart, post away! If you are thrilled because you are Liq and you just made your Hurty Stick, post away! I may have five Shakos in my stashes, and I may know that I will never have a Tomby that rivals Liq's, but I am glad to share in the fun in both cases. And when I found the only high rune I have found since 1.13c came out ("Ohm"), I rushed to post it in the IFT, and enjoyed sharing my excitement with others. It is still sitting my stash, waiting for the right time to be used.

Posting component parts is great, too, when those items are noteworthy (in your estimation). I like it when good bases are posted. If I found a Griffon's Eye, I would post it even before I found a lightning facet for it, and I posted my fire facet even though I have not put it in anything. The same goes for runes.

And if Mephisto releases eighteen green breast plates in one drop, post it in the IFT -- we will all grin and enjoy the moment with you. :D

9. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

Well, I voted to separate runes, for the following reason:

Because of all the rune wealth being reported, I just don't find some of the items that I find worth posting. It mostly applies to rares I guess, nowadays.

As Thyiad said, we need the record keeping of rune finds in the IFT for establishing some level of trust between rune-trading partners. Don't get started on "Screenshot is not a proof" thing. I know that.

But it takes a lot of knowledge of the game mechanics, drop mechanics and display mechanics to fake a screenshot. I don't think I'd be able to do it, and I have a decent knowledge of all.

I just think it'd be nice to have some place to keep the records of rune-finding, without making the IFT all wealth-like. People could still post runewords and the screenie of a Zod they found while questing in the normal IFT.

But a Sur from LK and Ohm from council would go somewhere else.

--Greebo

10. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

I wouldn't use "Runes aren't exciting" as a reason to make a new thread. With that logic, I shouldn't post my first Harlequin Crest or Occy when I find it because it isn't exciting to everyone else.

11. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

I could see an argument for removing rune finds from the IFT, although I'd be in favor of them staying. Any other argument just seems silly/completely unnecessary to me.

12. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

About the Runes aren't exciting anymore thing - I'll bet that they actually ARE exciting to the vast majority of the SPF.
    There may be a few that have found more than their share of runes, and they may not get a kick out of finding a Ber and I totally understand that, But it definitely shouldn't be what sets precedence.

13. LiquidClear

LiquidClear IncGamers Member

I'm new around here, but I've lurked the item find threads for a while. I don't really think they should be separated, because the only thing that's problematic for me is that I see everyone finding all these high runes (which I haven't found any yet) and it might make it seem less of a surprise when I do finally find some of my own. If there were a separate rune thread, I'd read that too and get the same effect, so separating wouldn't make much difference. I'm of the opinion that you should be able to post whatever is an important find for you. If I find a rune Vex or above, I'm definitely posting because that's a big deal to me.

However, if you find 3x Sur, an Ohm and a Ber every day, it might not be necessary to post it each time. I dunno, it's all relative. I don't think separating it will make much difference though.

14. Pyrohemia

I would hypothesize that they aren't exciting because of their rarity but because high runes open up a tier of runewords that are powerful and were previously scarce. Once the scarcity of these runewords is resolved, after sufficient time with 1.13c, then the appeal of runes will tarnish and fade.

In 1.12a would you post a screenshot for that Um rune you found, unless it was on an untwinked single pass character? Not many people would. A 1.13c Ber rune is very very close to being as common a drop as a 1.12a Um.
    I will admit that 1.12a Um's were deflated from the hell forge, but it still doesn't make a 1.12a Um found from a monster drop glamorous as it doesn't open up any powerful runewords.

15. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

While I agree that the IFT should be a place to post whatever makes you giddy, I also agree with the point that the rune drops themselves aren't nearly as fun to read about as the final result they are socketed into.

I'm happy for people when they find runes, but I usually just skim those posts because other than where the rune dropped, there aren't any variables... a Zod is a Zod is a Zod, so to speak, but a 399% eBotD made with a Zod is something to drool over (not to say that a 351% eBotD isn't fantastic and deserving of a post too).

I know "freedom of speech" doesn't exactly exist on a moderated forum (not that it should), but restricting what people post in the IFT seems a little snooty to me. I would probably be happier if people would refrain from posting runes unless they have a story behind it, like "I created a Trav Barb specifically to get the runes for Enigma, and after 2,367 runs, I finally got my Jah! Halfway there! Yay!" I'd still rather see it in a post where the Enigma is actually created, along with a few words on the effort that went in behind it and where the Jah and the Ber came from, but I'm not one to stifle someone's excitement.

What I'm trying to say is, in this case, I think guidelines are good, rules are bad.

-Hammy

16. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Since 1.13c came out, I have found exactly one high rune, an "Ohm." As far as I am concerned, they are rare and exciting. :)

Not all of us make $10,000 per week. I would hate to think that there is a "minimum salary" requirement for participating in the IFTs.

17. nualum

nualum IncGamers Member

+1 for combined. I still get inspired seeing rune finds, and it's easier to find inspiration in one thread than have to browse three or four for the same purpose.

18. Pyrohemia

That would be a worthy item find post. The story makes it all worth while.

19. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

To me, the only worthwhile argument is leaving the IFT as-is vs. a separate rune thread. To make different threads for rares/crafts is beyond silly.

My opinion: leave things the way they are.

I'll admit I've barely touched D2 since 1.13c was released, so I have very little stashed away. But when I start to get serious about the game again, I know I'm going to get excited by all the drops I get regardless of the item type. Be it a Skullder's, a Tal Rasha plate, a Lenymo sash, an Um rune or a Zod, I'm going to be happy to have had it drop. Why post in two places when the reaction I'll have is exactly the same?

I understand that the recent patch changed the value and rarity of runes... but they're still random drops and still have value.

20. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

It would be nice if people could post images like in those of 'fancy' :eyelash: item find threads.