Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

item farming

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by dOOmas, Oct 16, 2010.

1. dOOmas

dOOmas Diabloii.Net Member

item farming

Who to farm for items? Difficulty/where?

2. ziambe

ziambe Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Re: item farming

lazarus, normal

3. irontigran

irontigran Diabloii.Net Member

the goal is to get a strong arty and go into norm diff. , hell

tele all the way down to 15 just keep passing the monsters looking for the way down.. only stop if you see a unique monster. kill everyone in laz box. get the goodies there and then go down and clear all of 16. its great chances off everyone but the best reason is you dont lose anything when you die, so you can be agressive.. fb every monster and hope for some insane jewels.

4. FireIceTalon

FireIceTalon Diabloii.Net Member

I should write a guide for this, since there seems to be alot of confusion among newer players on how to get the great items of this game. But due to limited space here obviously, ill make a basic outline for item hunting here. Note I will not include the vendors here, just the mlvl (monster lvl) that can drop the items.

All affixes in this game have a qlvl (quality lvl), and for an item with a specific affix to drop, the monster must have an mlvl that is at least equal to the highest qlvl of the affix desired. For example, "Obsidian" is qlvl 24, thus to find any kind of Obsidian item, you must look for monsters that haven an mlvl of 24. Of course, Obsidian is only the prefix part. If you want an Obsidian Zodiac jewel, an mlvl of 24 will not be sufficient to drop one of these. Zodiac has a qlvl of 30, so you will need to hunt monsters that have a mlvl of 30 or higher. Here is a basic table of some of the most desired items in the game, and what can drop them:

Prefix Items:

Awesome plates: Awesome is qlvl 28, so Hell Spawns, Steel Lords, Cabalists, Soul Burners, Blood Knights and Advocates can drop these plates, along with most bosses in hell. Bosses are the base monster, +4 lvls. So a monster such as Blood Lust (whom is a Hell Spawn) has a mlvl of 32.

Kings weapons: Kings is qlvl 28 as well. Thus same monsters as above.

Obsidian items: Qlvl 24, so monsters with mlvl 24 or higher. I think Vortex Lords, Succibus, Maelstorms, and Black Knights are all mlvl 24...so these monsters or anything higher can drop Obsidian items.

Drakes items: Qlvl 23, so you need monsters with a mlvl of at least 23 to find these. The only monster with mlvl 23 are Fire Drakes, so these guys or any higher monsters can drop Drakes items.

Dragons items: Qlvl 27....so mlvl 27 monsters, Magistrates and Azure Drakes or any higher lvl monsters can drop these items.

Emerald items: Qlvl 31. Only most bosses in hell may drop these. To calculate which bosses, take the base mlvl of the boss and add 4. If it adds up to at least 31, the boss can drop Emerald items. Monsters most famous for dropping this rare prefix are Lazarus, Blood Lust, Red Vex, Black Jade and Sir Gorash...though Steel Skull the Hunter, Stareye the Witch, and the Vizier can drop them too.

Suffix items:

Stars items (8-11 aa): Qlvl 17

Heavens items (12-15 aa): Qlvl 25...Gold Vipers, Lava Maws, and Counselors are all 25, so these guys or anything higher can drop Heavens items.

Zodiac items (16-20 aa): Qlvl 30, available only on jewelry. Blood Knights, Advocates, Soul Burners and most hell bosses can drop Zodiac jewelry.

Haste weapons: Qlvl 27. Id like to note that the fact Kings items as I mentioned above are qlvl 28, so finding a Kings Sword of Haste, you would have to search monsters with an mlvl of 28 or higher, making these a bit tougher to find.

Wizardry, Life, Perfection, or Titans items (21-30 to one respective attribute): Qlvl 23, so Fire Drakes or higher.

Basically most of the items to make a great char are found on dlvl 13-16. The best way to find them is to make a decent lvl sorc and run normal on these lvls. You can often skip 13 and 14 if you are looking for really top notch stuff, but if you see early Blood Knights its a good idea to always kill them. Always kill Laz and company, and always clear 16 entirely, these two lvls are often where the best stuff drops.

Note that some items can be shopped at the vendor as well, and in some case it may be preferable to look there rather than hunt in hell. A good example would be trying to obtain a Kings Sword of Haste or Speed, Gris can sell you these if you are clvl (character lvl) 28 or higher. Other items must be found only, such as any jewelry, or Awesome plates with a suffix in full plate mail form. And still others must be bought at Wirt only (whale items, merciless items, strange items, holy items, etc).

Hope this helps some. The trickiest part in finding great items is getting the prefix and suffix to spawn on 1 item.

5. dOOmas

dOOmas Diabloii.Net Member

Thank for the info,i'll try doing hell.

6. Kikomura

Kikomura Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry to necro post, but why is the Godly plate of the Whale impossible to have? I'm a little confused as to why it isn't possible on hell/hell? It's a qlvl 60, and you can get it from blood knights, mlvl 60 yes?

7. Steven Catogen

Steven Catogen Diabloii.Net Member

Because it's still considered level 30 for drop purposes. Maybe it's a bug, and those things were intended to be droppable but it's there. The only one who can sell them is Wirt, but his price cap makes this impossible.

8. twipley

twipley Diabloii.Net Member

Shrui's Rogue Guide introduces a nuance to what has been discussed to date:

So, according to one's own experience, is that true, concerning the "base quality" of items?

9. Steven Catogen

Yes it is.

10. Kikomura

I'm confused, does that mean things above qlvl 30 are dropped to 30? So what are the limitations to this bug? Obviously Goldy Plate of the Whale is out, does that mean other things about qlvl 30 are non-droppable?

11. Steven Catogen

Yes and no.

Uniques get +4, so they can drop up to level 34 stuff (Emerald is 31, and that's the most notable example).

Diablo has a level of 45, but since he drops like a normal monster and you need TK just to grab the drop this isn't practical.

Na Krul (Hellfire only) has a level of 44 but only drops a great sword, a book of apocalypse, a staff of some kind, and a bow of some kind. I think war/long war. I don't remember. Since most of the really high level yet in demand stuff is on say, body armor...

Griswold and Adria are also capped at ilvl 30, and it's probably intentional for them. That just leaves Wirt, who can spawn with any item in the game but his price cap limits his selection a fair bit and even without that the amount of gold you could carry would limit it. Overall it's not too big of a problem, though ilvl not increasing with difficulty is likely a bug as 60 ilvls would fit nicely with 60 mlvls.

12. Kikomura

Ok got it, so basically this bug, is fixing all the monsters mlvl to 30, no matter if you play on Nightmare and Hell. So this basically fixes the normal qlvl to 30 (the highest possible in normal). Which makes sense you can only get Emerald stuff from +4 Unique monsters.

Maybe we can ask Blizzard for a patch? lol

13. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan Diabloii.Net Member

and what this means, is that:

doing normal dungeon runs (laz and dlvls 15-16), will get you just as good (even the best) stuff as from NM or Hell diffiulculties, and its better, because its easier/faster obviously :D

14. Steven Catogen

It would be more accurate to say that the +15 mlvl (NM) and +30 mlvl (Hell) is not applying to drops. It does apply to XP though, and you will see more higher quality base items in higher difficulties. Because of this there are some things that only drop in NM or Hell or that are more likely to do so.

Basically...

Normal Fallen = low quality item, low quality affixes.
    NM Fallen = better item, still low quality affixes.
    Hell Fallen = better item, still low quality affixes.

Normal Blood Knight = high quality item, high quality affixes.
    NM Blood Knight = high quality item, high quality affixes (more XP).
    Hell Blood Knight = high quality item, high quality affixes (best XP).

15. twipley

But, the "hell" Blood Knight still has a better chance of dropping a high-quality base item than the "normal" one, right?

16. Steven Catogen

Same or better, I'm not sure which. Qlvls (what base items have) only go up to 25, but then there's also some minimum Qlvl mechanics I don't remember that basically make it so you see lower quality items less.

17. Flux

Flux Administrator

There's no real difference in the quality of items you get in normal/nm/hell in D1. Which is kind of a bummer, once you realize that you're getting no reward (other than exp, of course) for playing hell/hell, vs teleporting and chaining your way through normal/hell at 30 seconds per level.

The basic item finding run in MP games is to teleport through 13 and 14 ASAP, just to find the stairs down. Then on 15 you do Laz's room, since he and the witches are top droppers. Bloodlust is good too, if you can easily find her on 15. If you're not too lazy go on down to 16 and try to find Sir Gorash quick like. Then repeat.

I did that thousands of times in the old days. When I play D1 these days, I'm doing it for fun and challenge instead of just trying to find items, so I do full clears and don't really worry about gear so much. To each their own.

18. Clervis

Clervis Diabloii.Net Member

I like to check those stand-alone rooms on 15, too. The armor racks will often drop FPM and occasionally you'll seem some jewelry laying on the ground in some.

When it comes to EXP runs, I pretty do the same thing. I just clear level 16, and maybe any other level that has bloodknights (on a harder difficulty of course). Everybody gives experience of course, but they also are handy for drops.

19. Clervis

Clervis Diabloii.Net Member

Anyone know if there is a mod that you can reprogram your hotkeys? I've died far too many times by thinking I had my finger on one key and really having it on the other. Also, it's kind of tricky to keep your pinky on the left shift and pressing F8 with your index.

20. twipley

I just did it but it killed my little finger.