Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Italian Courts Rule man has mental disorder cause he's gay; return license.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Darnoc, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Italian Courts Rule man has mental disorder cause he's gay; return license.

A gay man in Italy had his license revoked after he signed up for the military and they found out he is gay. The court ruled that his gay behavior is a mental disorder, but it does not impair his ability to drive a car and returned his license to him.

I thought Europe was pretty liberal; is Italy an exception? I found it interesting that they determined him to have a mental disorder because he is gay. The American Psychological association must be pretty pissed of since they declared it isn't a mental disorder (though only 35% of the board were present for the vote on this subject, and it only passed by 2%).

I just couldn't believe that he had is driver's license revoked because of this; does this sort of thing happen regularly in Italy or anywhere else in Europe?

2. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Got a source for that there story mate? :)

3. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

I just heard it on the news radio station here; I'll try to dig up an internet article on it

4. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

I thikn it's a load of crap, and i mean the fact that this could happen(and not the story).

5. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

Up next: People in Italy have their licenses returned after the high courts decide that being left-handed, listening to the Backstreet Boys, and tucking your shirt into your underwear, while being mental disorders, don't interfere with automobile operation.

6. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I don't, but remember that the Vatican is in Italy; if any European nation were to take such a stand on homosexuality, my money would have been on Spain or Italy.

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yea, europe is pretty libral (probably the most libral area in the world) so i really cant understand why. Very odd since it was the army who classified him as having a mental disorder. There sholdnt be anything to do with the church in the army, and anyway, that sort of thing would be decided by a group of doctors, not 1 person most likely. The judge may have been a catholic, and heavily against homosexuality, but surely that would be a inapropreate decision and would have to be overturned (the metnal disorder, not his license). This must be pretty rare if it made news, i wonder if gay rights protestors will pick up on it and do something.

9. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

A while ago one of Italians top political men came out and said that homesexuality is a sin and women belong in the kitchen. The prime minister stood by him. I guess they don't like the gays.

10. Full_Circle

Full_Circle IncGamers Member

Are you sure?

11. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

"You differ from the norm, you have a mental problem." What a bunch of bigots.

12. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

Liberal? Italy? As in 'Catholic-land' Italy?

When people think of 'liberal Europe', they're probably thinking of northern Europe, Scandinavia etc. Italy is pretty conservative.