Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

it would sure be neat if...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Sharaz, May 10, 2005.

1. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

it would sure be neat if...

1) there was a log file on in your d2 folder that showed date/time each character achieved the next level.

2) if there was a diablo2 realm statistics page somewhere, that showed how many sojs exist, how many crown of ages exist, how many windforce exist, etc etc. with some nice bar graphs or something. i guess that would just cover uniques tho, but runeword names (even if omitting base item type) would also be interesting too.

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

The first part seems possible, I saw a thread once where a guy found his all his chatlogs in a textfile in his Diablo map (third party program user).

As for the second part, I don't think that is feasible, for 2 reasons:
    A) it might slow the server, everytime someone finds an item, extra data has to be sent/received/stored
    B) if Blizzard (could) make(s) something that keeps track of every item, they could also keep track of all dupes and third party programs

Now B would be nice if they made it :p

3. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

I think B would be possible. Of course, you wouldn't have a realtime summary of all the items that exist, but once per day would be more than enough. With a strong database system like Oracle or SyBase and a good database architecture, I'm sure it's possible. The only question is : why would Blizzard keep developping on D2 :p !

4. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

I don't think B would be too hard at all. Blizzard already creates and assigns item numbers to most items. A call to a database stored procedure to update the count of a field in a database would not be hard or time consuming. Displaying the lists shouldn't be too much work either, I believe the ladder leaders lists already does that.

5. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

it would seem perfectly feasble to me, to have such a database. or else, how would they know a particular items id already exists, and thus subject to the next rust storm?

6. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

I think they can have a database, but checking through every other item to see if another item exists with the same id is quite time consuming even with computers.

7. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

AND... i just thought of this now. i would also like to see a counter at each lvl increment, that logs how many hours|minutes a specific character has been in a game.

so and so achieved lvl 99 at X hours and Y minutes of gametime

now THAT would make the ladder interesting! who can get to 99 with the fewest hours played?

8. kitehellion

kitehellion IncGamers Member

I was just thinking...if B was possible, couldn't it be theoratically be possible for Blizzard actually replace stolen items, if they could track whom had them, and how many there were? I mean, if they could see WHO had them, and who traded them, and for what...and so on and so forth. Technically, this could quite possibly put an end to all scams, if they did this/if they could. Perhaps some good ideas for D3, whenever it comes out.

9. kitehellion

kitehellion IncGamers Member

BTW, did I mention I HATE scammers? :mad:

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

By the way please do not double post, you can edit any post within one hour of that post. The unnatural bumping of posts(double posting)is prohibited on these forums.

Also please look over the forum rules, thank you.

11. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

Have a look at this one:
    http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-articles/ladder-dip-dancer.shtml
    It's 1.09 but anyways..

12. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

holy cow 38 hours! anyway, it could certainly shake things up if you had the person with the shortest amount of time but the highest level declared the winner at the end of the season.